Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bootleg astera

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bootleg astera
    Posted: 08 January 2023 at 2:33pm
considering getting some tbh, aliexpress has them for £250 a pop.

i'm intrigued, they are just leds and housing. could be some good $ to be made on hires...
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2023 at 5:18pm
They are probably quite usable, most led from china is

However…..

People hiring usually want the real thing 

Any serious faults and its usually skip time, environmental carcrash

Any dangerous faults ( I’ve witnessed Chinese beam 200’s in flames and I’ve serviced similar units with curious errors like the lamp blower fitted and working correctly bolted against a solid piece of metal, so it couldn’t move any air….) will be your liability if you can be proven to be using equipment without the correct safety approvals such as TUV/CE/BS

You certainly can get good kit from China, ive done it, but i have to do extensive QC, and lots of involved checking on any safety approvals that i am presented with, and most are false, and ive only purchased Chinese equipment when it has been for wet hire use, for dry hires it simply doesn’t make sense
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2023 at 8:38pm
yeah, all good points csg.

i'm only considering it as the chinese clone amps have all been fantastic from what i've seen.

wondering if they are basically identical to the real thing.

hard to tell though... and like you say, could be a gamble
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2023 at 8:38pm
i wonder if punters could tell they are the real thing or not though ;)
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2023 at 9:57pm
If they are asking you for Astera, they want Astera, not a copy.

For your use, its a completely different question 

The way Chinese manufacture is arranged there are thousands of small assemblers making product from parts made by larger manufacturers. The difference between QC standards and the give a f**k quotient varies dramatically and basically its a complete crap shoot without prior knowledge.

Im not sure I would agree that all Chinese clone amps have been fantastic. Quite the opposite infact i think

Edited by csg - 08 January 2023 at 9:58pm
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2023 at 10:09pm
The most important difference I’ve found with generic Chinese is build quality. An amp in a rack should last reasonable well but a light with a poorly built yoke or other parts deteriorate pretty quickly as they are moved from gig to gig and just aren’t worth repairing. A company in know have over 500 high power ip65 RGBW LED floods in stock and whilst they are great (I bought 8 from them) their pile of broken ones is rapidly growing and the faults are numerous from colours flickering, dead cells, dead units dead displays. The list is as long as there are components in the units. At 250 dollars a unit plus what ever you can get a shipping container for at the time I doubt many will be fixed. Branded stuff would just have a few common problems that affect units as they age that are widely recognised and solutions are usually found to deal with them.

Edited by monkeypuzzle - 08 January 2023 at 10:40pm
blah blah blah blah blah......
 Post Reply Post Reply