Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speaker placement (outdoors)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speaker placement (outdoors)
    Posted: 18 January 2023 at 6:30am
I've been wondering about this.

I've only had my set up out a few times (covid). The set up is 4xDouble 18' and 4x15' full range tops. Each time I've set it up, I've set it up as two subs+tops a side, parallel with about 4-6 meters between them. Usually I then put the DJ between the two "stacks".

Now my questions is, would it make sense to angle the two stacks and point them inwards? What would be the pros and cons?

I guess what I'm trying to achieve is more spl in a tighter area in front of the stage/dj. My events so far are rarely full of people to the point where a wide coverage is really what is needed, or even throw way out in front.

I also DJ'ed an event, where the speakers where placed on each side of the audience, which gave a nice feeling of being surrounded by the sound when standing between the stacks. That was also outdoors, but in an inclosed area with buildings around. I was thinking for events where throw and wide coverage is less of a deal, that setting up speakers this way can be beneficial. But maybe I'm missing some pitfalls of doing so.

Edited by Maze - 18 January 2023 at 6:37am
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2023 at 4:06pm
Angling in the Bass bins will have no real effect - Angling the Mid tops will change the Mid Top coverage.
By having the Bass Bins  spread apart you will be creating a sort of central 'Power Alley' effect anyway wih many interference nulls that should be apparent if you walk around the audience area.
Moving the Bass speakers closer to each other may help.

Edited by Xoc1 - 21 January 2023 at 4:08pm
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2023 at 8:35pm
Google "void guide to bass arrays"
Maze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2023 at 1:11pm
Thanks both of you.

I have looked at and downloaded some PDFs on sub placement. I'll take a look again. I think maybe I'll try and place all subs in the middle infront of the DJ next time, or next time I have chance to do so. Sometimes placement of stage etc. also comes into consideration for placement of speakers.
 Post Reply Post Reply