Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MC2 1250 vs 2 * QSC 3602

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yodominic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MC2 1250 vs 2 * QSC 3602
    Posted: 20 January 2023 at 8:37am
Hi All, need your opinion on this, we have recently acquired Logic Ethos system with a pair of ND315 and 2 pairs of LA (mids/tops).

The mids are rated at 1000 Watts @ 4 ohm per cab and we are planning to use either 2 QSC 3602 @ 4 ohm or run MC2 1250 at 2 ohm, I personally think MC2 1250 is capable of running at 2 ohms driving mids without any issues but do you think it’s too risky and we should be using 2 QSC 3602 for the job.

Ideally we will buy  a 4 channel MC2 for the mids but that’s something for the future when we can sell some of our current apps

Many thanks.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2023 at 9:54am
Hi,

Personally would not consider either of those amps  even for mids.

1250 is very old, and has  spares issues.

'02 series QSCs, are not respected in the QSC Community.

Similar power on mids, would be QSC CX1102.

But to my ears, mids sound better, with fuller low mids, with huge amount of headroom, at min 4 ohms stereo, per amp.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
yodominic View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yodominic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2023 at 10:04am
Unfortunately this is what we have currently available until we sell some of the amps and go to a 4 channel MC2, I have not had any issues with QSCs since I had them from new, MC2 is something we bought recently 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2023 at 1:18pm
Interesting lesson..

Couple of years ago, put rig in an install, with mid highs = ASS MX600s (16 ohm 2", 2x12" 16ohm), with QSC CX702 on 2", QSC PL4 on 12s.

Initial set with 1x mid top per side, with intention of adding another cab per side, when moving to larger room in venue.

Sounded OK.

Put PL380 on 12" section, and the PL4 on the 2" cabs.

All of a sudden, huge increase in perceived low mid/mid frequencies, requiring cutting eq, where we previously had boost, and extra overhead, brought increase in perceived sound quality.

Was not the obvious increase in SPL from more power, that was impressive, was the increase at certain frequencies, that previously had to be boosted.

Edited by levyte357- - 20 January 2023 at 1:22pm
yodominic View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yodominic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2023 at 11:28pm
Only other Amp we have in our possession is a Lab FP 3400. We are looking to drive 4 mid cabs rated at 1000@4ohms

Edited by yodominic - 20 January 2023 at 11:28pm
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2023 at 12:25am
The MC1250 is a pretty reliable if old bit of british-made kit, engineered for quality rather than cost, IMHO. It has a variable impedance power supply a but like a crown VZ supply....except it is not automatic. You get to select the 'VZ' mode by a switch on the back. This connects the transformer windings either in parallel for high current low voltage or in series for high voltage low current, all by a microprocessor controlled relay.
I'm not sure how it would perform on a low impedance but high voltage requirement of a bunch of parallel-connected mid-highs, I think you'd have to take the specs with a pinch of salt and just try it.

The PLX3602 is a quality chinese-built (by Gold-Peak) machine and a tad more modern than the MC2 but like all the range they will go bang if left dirty, damp or hot. If it's not a new one, get it blown out with an airline and check the mods have all been done before torturing it!
Kevin

North Staffordshire

lickweed View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lickweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2023 at 1:47am
Strange , how come they write made in usa on plx3602 then.
http://www.liquidsound.co.uk/
JamesH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2023 at 8:31am
Yup, my 3602 has "Made in USA" on back.

Is it one of those, "components made in China, part assembled, finished in US" things then?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2023 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

The PLX3602 is a quality chinese-built  

This is the only time (I think), in a couple of decades, I have to disagree with the right honorable, kedwards.. LOL

Edited by levyte357- - 21 January 2023 at 2:15pm
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2023 at 2:18pm
I think 'made in the usa' on a PLX means the chinese pcb has its heatsinks bolted on in the usa and then placed n the chinese case.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2023 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

I think 'made in the usa' on a PLX means the chinese pcb has its heatsinks bolted on in the usa and then placed n the chinese case.

The original PLX series, were generally quite OK, if not used on sub, and kept clean/serviced.

Completely avoided PLX '02 series, and PL2 series.

Was then advised to upgrade to CX series, best decision ever made, only issue being CX1102 being biggest unit.

PL4 has power, but gets hot, never tried PL340.

Would definitely prefer Admark/CVR 4x channel for mids, compared to PLX 3602.
lickweed View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lickweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2023 at 9:23pm
Country in which last significant manufacturing process was carried out

http://www.liquidsound.co.uk/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>