Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Connecting DSP to Amplifiers & Surge/Power Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Connecting DSP to Amplifiers & Surge/Power Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connecting DSP to Amplifiers & Surge/Power Advice
    Posted: 25 January 2023 at 12:04pm
Hello again

Ok so for those of you that aren’t familiar with my previous post, I’m currently making the step up to creating a sound system with dedicated Bass/Mid/High and have been gathering the relevant gear. So in simple terms I’m now at a stage that I have my Speakers connected to the Power Amps.
But I’m new to the world of the DSP I have bought a ‘dB-Mark XCA 28 (8in 2out)’ and struggling to find much on the topic of setting up a DSP to Power Amps then to Pre Amp & Mixer.

So Im guessing I link the OUT’s of each amp to a Channel on the back of the DSP, High Amp to Ch1’s IN, MID Amp to Ch2’s IN, BASS to Ch3.
Then do I use one of the DSP’s Outs to go to the Pre Amp which the mixer is plugged into?

Also because I now have:
Turntable
Mixer
Pre Amp
DSP
QSC 900
QSC GX3
Crown XLI 3500
All with power and kettle leads going into wall plugs (Im in the UK and have x2 dual wall sockets) Do I need to buy a Power Conditioner or will one of those 19” 6way 13A power Distribution do the trick? Or something else?

Thanks
msoundsystem View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2023 at 12:23pm
(Mono out config)

Also its 2 in 8 out not the other way around. 

Go...
Turntable into mixer.
Mixer into preamp
Preamp full range out (mono) into chan A input of dsp
Chan 1 out dsp to sub amp
Chan 2 out dsp to mid amp
Chan 3 dsp to high amp. 

Important to note .. if dsp in mono not stereo using only input A you will need to select all channel outputs to channel A of the dsp. 

If running mid highs in stereo then a different config is needed. 

You will only use one input to each amp and its then upto you to parallel the back of the amp so both sides see the same signal if in mono. 

For connecting it all up i would get a dedicated power distro. That has all the protection you need.  

SnailSpace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2023 at 1:43pm
Thanks msoundsystem

Confused by you saying mono though? Im configuring/wiring all Speakers in Stereo? Or am I missing something?

So are you saying because each DSP Channel has one XLR Out per channel it’s Mono? Yet the Amplifiers have x2 + & - Phono/Jacks? So how do I connect what type of cable? Is it a phono red&white to XLR?

and is a ‘dedicated power distro’ what I mentioned a glorified extension bar that goes in your rack?

Edited by SnailSpace - 25 January 2023 at 3:10pm
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2023 at 2:11pm
always best to think and describe things in the direction of signal flow.. out of mixer goes in to processor, outs of processor go in to amps, out of amps go in to speakers etc.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2023 at 2:57pm
Why do you have a mixer and preamp? Seems redundant.

First get into the DSP and setup the routing, some processors will let you create any kind of custom config but with others if you select stereo 3-way for example it will assign the outputs as LMH LMH or it could be LLMMHH. Whatever the case once you know that you can connect the amplifiers to the appropriate outputs and begin setting up the processing. 

Edited by Conanski - 25 January 2023 at 2:58pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2023 at 3:14pm
I have a mixer and pre amp for immediate fine tuning of music as all records are recorded different?

What is difference between LMH LMH & LLMMHH? (Presume this means LowMediumHigh?)

*Remember to be afraid to talk to me like I’ve just been born as it’s all new to me!

Edited by SnailSpace - 25 January 2023 at 3:16pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2023 at 8:40pm
I think the basics of what I need to know seems to have been lost in the answers (or I’m not wording it right):

What leads do I need?

- my DSP has Male OUT’s

- my Amps have either Phono or 1/4 Jacks

So do I need a Female XLR to Phono lead & a Female XLR to 1/4 Jack x2 lead. 

Ch1 DSP XLR to High Amp Phono

Ch2 DSP XLR to Mid Amp 1/4 Jack

Ch3 DSP XLR to Mid Amp 1/4 Jack

Power Distro - can I use a £20 one from eBay  or are we talking a £400 Kelsey with Circuit Breaker in?

Edited by SnailSpace - 25 January 2023 at 10:08pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2023 at 12:26am
Originally posted by SnailSpace SnailSpace wrote:

What is difference between LMH LMH & LLMMHH? (Presume this means LowMediumHigh?)
Yes.

It's the order of the physical outputs on the back of the unit, so for example in the first example output 1 is left low, 2 is left mid, 3 is left high, 4 is right low, 5 is right mid, 6 is right high. Outputs 7 and 8 are not used. 
In the second example output 1 is left low, 2 is right low, 3 is left mid, 4 is right mid, 5 is left high, 6 is right high. Again 7 and 8 are not used. 

So you don't have any amplifiers with XLR inputs?

If not then get XLR to TRS cables and a couple of TRS to RCA adapters for the amp with RCA inputs. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2023 at 8:26am
Brilliant thanks Conanski.

Sorry yes the Crown xli3500 & g3 has XLR its the older QSC on TRS.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2023 at 10:58am
I have x2 input (Input 1 & input 2) on the back of the DSP do these work as Right and Left like the outputs or would I just have x1 ‘Input 1’ XLR to Phono cable going to mixer output? Or would I have a XLR input 1 going to Red Phono & XLR input 2 going to White Phono?

Edited by SnailSpace - 26 January 2023 at 11:08am
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2023 at 11:33am
You have two options here

Dj style- decks into mixer, stereo output into DSP, abd dsp to amps

Sound system style- decks into pre-amp, then pre-amp outputs either directly into amps, or via DSP if you want to fine tune your system
However, you will need the same number of DSP inputs as the number of ways on your pre-amp, so for a 4 way, you will need 2 DSP units each with 2 inputs etc

There are further potential issues when it comes to stacking filters from different processing units such as Pre-amps and speaker processors but that’s a whole new can of worms…
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2023 at 4:10pm

I have the following as a Reggae set up as I can’t afford a Reggae Pre Amp:

X1 Vestax PDX 2000

19” Numark C3FX Professional 

(A good alternative to expensive pre amp for me, x4 channels - turntable, Mic, Dub Siren and it has some echo effects)

19” Gemini PA 700

(As Conanski says this is a bit redundant but I use the Bass/Mid/Treble to tweak mixer)

X2 outputs

dB-XCA 28 - 8 out 2 in

Amps

So I understand how to connect Amps to DSP.

I just need to know how to connect the DSP to the Pre Amp.

The DSP has x2 input (Input 1 & input 2)

The Pre Amp has x2 inputs 1&2 which are 2 sets of Phonos (2 red 2 white).

The two options of cables I can see have:

X1 XLR to Phono (Red & White)

or 

X1 XLR going to a red & X1 XLR going to White Phono.

How do I link 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>