Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grounding Gear and UK Fuses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grounding Gear and UK Fuses
    Posted: 07 February 2023 at 10:05am

I posted this on the tail end of another post so thought id seperate it off as things can get a bit lost in conversation.

I recently bought Power Distribution Units which have 3 way power surge protection, it also has an ‘earth ground’ point.

I have my turntable earthed to my Mixer via earth leads but I’ve never earthed my amps and new to PDUs and racks of gear.

I notice that my older QSC 900 USA & dB-Mark DSP have ‘earth ground’ symbol but don’t see anything on QSC GX3 or Crown XLI 3500.

Where should I be grounding the PDU too if at all? 

Also I’ve read a lot of debate online about what amp fuse (uk) to have in an iec (kettle) lead from amplifiers/gear etc going into a 13amp uk plug? General opinion in UK? Seems to be 5 or 10A online so you blow that before fuse in Amp which are harder to access.

Once again apologies for the basic questions but I’m someone who’s new to rack mounted gear and splitting my High/Mid/Low, so I’m sure this isn’t the last basic question I’ll post…hopefully it will help others and build a bit of an idiots guide to Sound System. Smile

snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2023 at 12:45pm
kettle lead connector is only rated at 10A. The fuse in the plug will protect against a damaged cable but it won't blow fast enough to protect your equipment. Amps are protected by internal fuses and by breakers on the distro. Anything with a C7 connector should have 3A fuse in the plug.
SnailSpace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2023 at 1:00pm
Cheers, the Kettles came with 5A so will stick with them.

I have no gear with C7 (figure 8) but good to know.
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2023 at 2:37am
if you look very closely at the raised markings around the pins on a UK molded "kettle" lead plug it will show the the amp rating in a little circle.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2023 at 3:33pm
Quote Kettles came with 5A

C13 IEC leads are 10A as already stated and in the UK would normally come with a 13A fuse, although some do come with 10A.
If they arrive new with a 5A fuse in then it's possible they're a substandard cable and have been de-rated, but this is not permitted and I'd be looking to see what other corners have been cut with them (some have fake fuses or copper-clad aluminium foil cores which can overheat dangerously). I would think running any pro amplifier with a 5A fuse in the plug is sailing close to the wind especially if there's any sort of inrush.

The C15 is what comes with kettles and is the same but slotted, denoting it can be used at elevated temperatures as often seen with kettles.

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 08 February 2023 at 3:33pm
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2023 at 8:30pm

Thanks.

Edited by SnailSpace - 09 February 2023 at 12:03pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2023 at 12:05pm
I have just found a few 13A rated iec leads so will switch Power Amps to those.

Would my Power Distro (3 way surge) not protect the gear before any plug fuses anyway or could the 5amp rated leads be what cause the surge to kick in and shut down the Power Distro? 

Do you think the dB-Mark DSP & Mixer would be fine on a 5amp? As I can’t see them demanding as much?

(I know these may seem tedious questions but probably worth knowing for if I’m ever playing live and something happens, knowing where to look. Plus worth trying to limit any form of shut down during live sets also!)

Edited by SnailSpace - 09 February 2023 at 12:17pm
Wikl109 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wikl109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2023 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

Quote Kettles came with 5A

C13 IEC leads are 10A as already stated and in the UK would normally come with a 13A fuse, although some do come with 10A.
If they arrive new with a 5A fuse in then it's possible they're a substandard cable and have been de-rated, but this is not permitted and I'd be looking to see what other corners have been cut with them (some have fake fuses or copper-clad aluminium foil cores which can overheat dangerously). I would think running any pro amplifier with a 5A fuse in the plug is sailing close to the wind especially if there's any sort of inrush.

The C15 is what comes with kettles and is the same but slotted, denoting it can be used at elevated temperatures as often seen with kettles.

Listen to this man. Look at the size of cable, 1.00mm makes it a 10amp rated cable.
It has a 13 amp fuse because a 10 amp fuse isn't so easily available (they do exist though).
It's a 10 amp rated cable.
Kettle plugs are also known as a 'Hot Condition' connector.
Cheers, Chris.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2023 at 10:12pm
By the way when I wrote ‘Kettles came with 5A’ I meant my kettle leads as in the IEC Leads I’d just bought (I was just using the term kettle) I thought I’d put up the specs but must have deleted them, here they are;
High Quality 
Fully certified for use in UK Standard Uk Plug to IEC (kettle like) plug. Used for powering a whole range of equipment. 5A fused cable for 240V. 5A Rated Moulded UK plug 
5A Rated IEC Plug
British Standards Approved BS1383/A 3 x 0.75mm2 Rated Cable

Edited by SnailSpace - 09 February 2023 at 10:17pm
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2023 at 10:38pm
sounds dodgy to me

Kevin

North Staffordshire

Wikl109 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wikl109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2023 at 10:44pm
0.75mm Needs a 5 amp fuse. They are not suitable for a power amp.
Cheers, Chris.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2023 at 5:56am
Thanks

Do you think the dB-Mark DSP & Mixer would be fine on a 5amp? As I can’t see them demanding as much?

Edited by SnailSpace - 10 February 2023 at 5:56am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>