Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Driver choice for Fane 15 inch scoop design

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VERISTRONG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driver choice for Fane 15 inch scoop design
    Posted: 11 February 2023 at 2:53pm
Hello there!

This is a first post attempt in here, so I hope I'll do everything alright.

So, as the title says, me and some friends are kind of paying around with some home hifi speakers, a double 12 inch box built by us in a very cheap way (MDF and the first drivers we could find, literally) and a couple of 15 inch scoops, Fane design by the measurements we made, that now need a new pair of drivers.

These 15 inch scoops were at a friend's home for quite some time (5+ years), he didn't use them, so he borrowed them to us so we could try and find some drivers for them.

The amplifier we intend to use for the scoops (we have it already) is a Crown Xs1200 (2 channels, each channel 650w 8 ohm/1100w 4ohm).

Looking on the internet, we found that some people have used PD154/2 with ok results. But these posts can be from 10+ years ago, so we would like to know if today there are other options. We are in Italy so a lot of sounds here use 18sound or b&c, but we don't know if any of their drivers could be suitable for our unusual setup, as you would expect scoops to be 18 inch designs and not 15, but this is what we have and we would like to work with it.
For example, we have looked at 18sound 15w700, but an older post in this forum suggests that because of the small size of the driver chamber, there could be a high compression rate which could lead to the driver being blown up.
We have also looked at b&c 15ndl76, with neo magnet, but we don't know if that can work with the scoop design we have.

All of these can be bought for around 250 euros each, so our total budget would be around 500 euros for the pair.

We are mainly playing roots, dub, sometimes old school dubstep, d'n'b too from time to time, so yeah that would be the music being played

Thank you and I hope we can find a good choice! 

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2023 at 3:22pm
I personally don't rate 15" Scoops, at all.

Suggest you look for Mykey Scaled up Fane to 18" Scoop, then you'll have world of drivers, to choose from.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2023 at 6:00pm
Agreed, 15” scoops ain’t all that but back in the mid 90’s there were a few systems in Manchester that ran them myself included and the parties were rocking. As you have them and are obviously on a budget, whilst I’m afraid I can’t suggest a modern driver for them, look for something that could run well in a kick bin and when funds allow and you’ve had a bit of fun and learnt a bit more about running a system, pass the 15” scoops on, then build some 18’s with 15”kick…
blah blah blah blah blah......
cardiffdon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardiffdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2023 at 6:33pm

Edited by cardiffdon - 11 February 2023 at 6:34pm
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2023 at 10:31pm
I loved my 15" eminence scoops. But being wider than other designs allowed them to drop lower and sounded great xb loaded. But when you compare the size with a top 18" mini it makes no sense using 15s. My 15s were taller than my minis, around the same width at least just not as deep. But the 18 mini was leagues ahead in performance. Still cant fault the 15" emmy wardrobes just not the best solution when weighing up all the factors
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2023 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by monkeypuzzle monkeypuzzle wrote:

Agreed, 15” scoops ain’t all that but back in the mid 90’s there were a few systems in Manchester that ran them myself included and the parties were rocking. As you have them and are obviously on a budget, whilst I’m afraid I can’t suggest a modern driver for them, look for something that could run well in a kick bin and when funds allow and you’ve had a bit of fun and learnt a bit more about running a system, pass the 15” scoops on, then build some 18’s with 15”kick…

Around 1990 I went a few times to a small club in central Manchester that used per side of the dancefloor a JBL 4520 (2 x 15" scoop), plus 2 x 12" angled mid, crinkle plate lens and slot tweeter (mid / tops flown).

That was a nice sounding system.

Edited by APC321 - 12 February 2023 at 10:15am
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2023 at 11:57pm
Oberton 15xb700.. meaty driver in a 15" scoop... a mate had 6 and they had the venue shaking... maybe not the deepest sub bass but tons of energy from them..

Reverence Sound system

knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2023 at 1:45am
I've had 3 different versions of 15" scoops. I had some full height ones (48" high) and 4 that Tony ASS built for me which were his take on the JBL 4530. They all sounded great with Precision Devices PD1550s in them. These are readily available on the second hand market for great prices.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2023 at 8:48am
I'd try B&C 15SW100 or 15nw100, or go all in with 15ds115.

(Unqualified, totally subjective opinion/guess)

Rather invest in high performance than pinch pennies........ especially since you have only two cabs. Premium drivers also hold their value more firmly.

Friend has a set of four obscure 15" scoops JBL loaded (mix of 2225 and 2226). Packs a fair punch, and can do some sub & move air if the operator dares to lower the sub eq on the Ligwa mini pre and sacrifice a little bit of the 50 Hz growl......... 

Edited by bob4 - 12 February 2023 at 9:11am
 Post Reply Post Reply