Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FLHs for PD1850

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FLHs for PD1850
    Posted: 26 February 2023 at 11:17am
Hi there, 

As title suggests looking for FLHs that work well with PD1850s. I have 8 here in hogs but soon wanting to go FLH as it works better for the music we play and where we play it. 

Looking at the commonly available plans a lot of recommended drivers look like reflex drivers on paper so it is strange not seeing the PD1850 come up as recommended on many designs!

Obviously there’s the 1850 horn but not really a huge fan and much prefer what I’ve heard from WSX, invader etc. 

Not looking for anything unrealistic simply a cab that does 40/45hz with authority for the PD1850! Will have EAW KF750s on top so do not need to go up very high. 

If there is other options opposed to FLH (hybrid, BPH etc) I am all ears! 

I also have no qualms commissioning a design if it doesn’t break the bank too much!  
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2023 at 4:00pm
A reliable sound engineer told me that the f218 with 1850's in was fairly brutal. 

Ok, they are a bph. But more compact then a flh.

Edited by midas - 26 February 2023 at 4:01pm
In bass no one can hear you scream!
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2023 at 4:03pm
Mach Ballister maybe? 
Simple design and in blocks of four it starts to get fun Clap

http://www.forum.poweraudio.ro/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=9752

Always wanted some myself, but I don't want to buy old beat-up originals, and unless building them yourself, they end up being rather expensive if made by a pro.

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2023 at 5:05pm
I've not heard a 21" FLH, that can do 40hz, with authority, so would  forget all about that with an 18".
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2023 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by midas midas wrote:

A reliable sound engineer told me that the f218 with 1850's in was fairly brutal. 

I honestly am not against some bph Smile Enjoy using our USBs on their own providing there’s a few being used! 
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2023 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by FOO FOO wrote:

Mach Ballister maybe? 
Simple design and in blocks of four it starts to get fun Clap

http://www.forum.poweraudio.ro/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=9752

Always wanted some myself, but I don't want to buy old beat-up originals, and unless building them yourself, they end up being rather expensive if made by a pro.

Thank you will read through this Smile going to hold onto this next set for probably the rest of my life so don’t mind paying a bit for a proper job
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2023 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

I've not heard a 21" FLH, that can do 40hz, with authority, so would  forget all about that with an 18".

EM Quake? Terra horn? Stand infront of either of those two forrsure LOL and they both use the driver in question 

Also enjoy the sound from WSX and invaders which drop low enough for me from all I’ve heard (we’re planning to use 6 to 8 a time).

I did see something about a HessBH (might be butchering the name), revisit of an SBH could be a gooden but would be the one taking the risk as never seen any built! LOL

csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2023 at 8:49pm
And more to the point, what does driver diameter have to do with the F3 of a front loaded horn?
My personal favourite in this genre is probably EAW KF940 in blocks of 4. They are 12” x 2 and do a lot better than 40Hz…

Back to the question though, EM Quake is certainly a very good option but obviously a commercial design. Im not aware of any free plans for the 1850 that will do it justice as it is a good driver for FLH use. Probably it’s best application actually.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
richardwatts87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardwatts87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2023 at 7:30am
Ey up, pm'd you re hogs

Cheers 

Richard 
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2023 at 9:10am
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

Im not aware of any free plans for the 1850 that will do it justice as it is a good driver for FLH use. Probably it’s best application actually.

This is what I’m stumped on! If needs must I’ll just change up drivers but just feels silly having drivers that excel in FLHs to replace them with reflex drivers for use in FLHs LOL

Maybe we’ll just go the commission route and then can put the plans up on here for all the help you guys have gave me over the years! 

Don’t need them to drop anywhere near as low as quakes so don’t feel it’s an unrealistic ask Smile
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2023 at 9:52am
there is some pics online if you hard look of some quakes with no side panel on , know someone who has built 2 and they are brutal with 1850s as stated 
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2023 at 10:48am
Originally posted by midas midas wrote:

PD18/F101 is a tight fit.  Squeezing an 1850 in without losing a finger tip must be some kind of extreme feat..
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>