Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FLHs for PD1850

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2023 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Esc4pe Esc4pe wrote:

Don’t need them to drop anywhere near as low as quakes so don’t feel it’s an unrealistic ask Smile

You said you wanted 40hz from an 18" FLH, my fav FLH is the Martin WSX, and even that only does approx 45hz in pairs.

I was often asking about a modded 186 Horn with longer horn, and top loading, turns out that is what the Invader is.

People then said SBH is much better, but turns out even that, is really still a 50hz box.

Don't know if anyone has tried 186 Horn with PD1851 or 18NLW9601, to see if enhanced BL and Xmax of modern drivers, will allow cab to play closer to 45hz HPF, at high power.

But in my books, FLH 18" cab, should be 636mm wide, and  1220mm H, with entire front of cab forming horn mouth, for max spl.

Edited by levyte357- - 27 February 2023 at 11:10am
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2023 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Originally posted by Esc4pe Esc4pe wrote:

Don’t need them to drop anywhere near as low as quakes so don’t feel it’s an unrealistic ask Smile

You said you wanted 40hz from an 18" FLH, my fav FLH is the Martin WSX, and even that only does approx 45hz in pairs.

I was often asking about a modded 186 Horn with longer horn, and top loading, turns out that is what the Invader is.

People then said SBH is much better, but turns out even that, is really still a 50hz box.

Don't know if anyone has tried 186 Horn with PD1851 or 18NLW9601, to see if enhanced BL and Xmax of modern drivers, will allow cab to play closer to 45hz HPF, at high power.

But in my books, FLH 18" cab, should be 636mm wide, and  1220mm H, with entire front of cab forming horn mouth, for max spl.

40/45hz in always stacks of 4 or more (mainly using 6 to 8 a time), not singles! Sorry if that wasn’t clear!!!

Yes I read your threads asking for similar, was going to revive but was wanting for a specific driver so made a new thread. 

About SBH, I’d rather just the 1850 horn at that point LOL SBH do even out in response with like 12 but just don’t justify their size! Happy to have something that size if it utilises it properly mind! 

It’s not even that a big stack of 1850 horns doesn’t drop low enough because I think it probably does for our use, it’s simply I do not enjoy the sound of it! They sound monotonous for want of a better word! The cerwin ones seem to sound a bit more alive from what I’ve briefly heard of them and obviously there’s the BS600 which I stupidly missed an opportunity to keep a load of Confused 

Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2023 at 2:58pm
A legend is modelling something up for us!! If it materialises well after testing prototypes etc. will report back Smile all in good time though 
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2023 at 3:01pm
From my experience of FLHs, count yourself lucky, if you can get 45hz in pairs, and don't expect magical extension from stack of 4x or more.

I've heard 2x stacks of 8x 1850 horns (1850 loaded), and they still didn't do much below 50hz.

186 Horn has slightly larger chamber, so suggests modern drivers with larger Xmax, BL, and right Qts/Qes, will make use of that.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2023 at 2:23pm
Just an update, gone for hybrid 6th order bandpass horn design, they’re being loaded up on Sunday and tested against the hogs the PDs were originally in. If they sound how I hope will be aiming for 12 of them above the eaw kf750s and sometimes 3 USB BPH below them. 
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2023 at 6:06pm
What 6th order design did you go for?
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2023 at 6:38pm
I would be interested to hear what you think of the transient response of 6th order BP.
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2023 at 8:27am
So I managed to take out the new cabs and they shit on the hogs with all the music we play LOL they give off the perception of hitting lower too but think that may just be because they hit were hitting every other note of the music! Overall exceeded expectations and can move them around on my own if needed!

They are called Lego block bins built by White Noise Audio

Edited by Esc4pe - 13 March 2023 at 8:42am
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2023 at 9:25am
Not saying these are the same, but I don't think it's far off Smile

http://hornplans.free.fr/hr118.html
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2023 at 10:10am
Originally posted by FOO FOO wrote:

Not saying these are the same, but I don't think it's far off Smile

http://hornplans.free.fr/hr118.html

You’re right they do look similar externally! Not seen the plans for these but when putting the drivers in for loading the inside looks different to the HR118. If the HRs perform like these people have slept on them LOL

Good low extension with the impact of a bph I’m in love Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12