Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horn Tweeter Box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horn Tweeter Box
    Posted: 04 March 2023 at 11:32pm

Yes I’m back with more daft questions…

Horn Tweeter Box - any do’s and dont’s?

Can you mix various 8ohm horns of similar Watt within same box on same wiring system or should I only connect pairs of same make & model internally to their own socket/out plate? I have seen Tweeter Boxes with multiple horns & piezos of various sizes so just wondered how it was achieved? Or if it’s a good idea!

If so how would I wire x4 internally so they go to one set of sockets?

Also some of the tweeters have small elements attached? Maybe small crossovers from being attached to Drivers or maybe they are Capacitors? Are they needed?

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 12:06am
What tweeters and horns do you have again? Post some pics if you can.

Tweeter boxes became a thing back in the day because the drivers available weren't very powerful so large quanties had to be used and because DSP didn't exist to contour the response of larger CD's to achieve some sparkle. But none of that is a problem anymore so it really depends if you are just trying to use a bunch of stuff you have or want to achieve the look of a classic sound system stack. 
If building some ideally you want to use identical drivers in these boxes, if using two different types try to make them cover different ranges. Less powerful drivers probably won't pair well with more powerful versions... they will just get blown when you crank it up. There are ways to combine a bunch of different drivers so they won't blow up but many times less is more.. you get better sound keeping it simple.

Edited by Conanski - 05 March 2023 at 12:18am
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 8:01am
And for heavens sake, don't just bolt them all to one straight baffle all shooting forward. Get them splayed properly. Build a box with multiple angled baffles, ideally one small baffle for each driver. 
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 9:11am
Here is an example of some horn and tweeter boxes I recently made for a local sound system. 

Their previous cabs had all the tweeters facing the same way, as well as 2” compression drivers bolted onto 1.4” entry horns, so we replaced the horns with 2” flares too

With everything correctly arrayed the difference in sound quality and coverage is night and day.

In this instance, the sound uses powersoft X8’s to power everything ( inc the tweeters), so i wired the tweeter boxes in series, so 2 x 32ohm loads. With amplifiers with plenty of output voltage this gives a great match, however with smaller amplifiers you may struggle for gain, so series parallel may be more appropriate 

Edited by csg - 05 March 2023 at 9:21am
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 10:38am
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

Here is an example of some horn and tweeter boxes I recently made for a local sound system. 

Their previous cabs had all the tweeters facing the same way, as well as 2” compression drivers bolted onto 1.4” entry horns, so we replaced the horns with 2” flares too

With everything correctly arrayed the difference in sound quality and coverage is night and day.

In this instance, the sound uses powersoft X8’s to power everything ( inc the tweeters), so i wired the tweeter boxes in series, so 2 x 32ohm loads. With amplifiers with plenty of output voltage this gives a great match, however with smaller amplifiers you may struggle for gain, so series parallel may be more appropriate 

Great looking boxes Chris. Which horn flares are those?
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 10:45am
Ev hp940
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 11:15am
I really like the way 2" horns are angled down in the box.

Edited by APC321 - 05 March 2023 at 11:17am
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 12:26pm
Yes, many compound angles…but it does help keeping the energy off the ceiling 
The bullet boxes are fitted with screw adjustable feet, similar to what is often found on the base of small projectors, so that they can be angled down to suit. There is a goove over the top so that the ratchet strap stays put
SnailSpace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 12:52pm

Great looking Boxes and I did want to build my own but I’m pushed for time with having small kids so I’m repurposing some boxes that work size wise and adding a new front. As a few of you know from my previous post it’s my first time splitting off H/M/L so it’s more about using what I have, learning the basics and how use my DSP etc custom made boxers and driver upgrades come at a later date. I may splay them after the suggestion though.

Ok so the horns I have are:

x4 RX22 (Horn) 8ohm 

x2 Fane J.104 (Horn) 8ohm 100/125w above 5Khz

x2 Altai mht-392 (Horn) 8ohm 

I was thinking of having x2 RX22 per box but have contemplated adding in the Fane & Altai too

I do have x2 Arrow PCT 1000 (Piezo) 150w and x2 Motorola (piezo) but probably won’t use any piezos.

Specifications that I have:

RX™22 CT Driver

• Throat Parameter: .960" / 24.38 mm
  • Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
  • Minimum Impedance: 7.7 Ohms
  • DC Resistance: 7.0 Ohms
  • Power Capacity 1200 Hz to 20,000 Hz: 160 W peak, 80 W program, 40 W continuous using pink noise band limited from 1000 Hz to 20 kHz (AES 2-1984)
  • Sensitivity: 107 dB / 1W 1m On-axis on 90º H x 40º V horn
  • Nominal Efficiency: 30%
  • Frequency Response: 650 Hz to 20,000 Hz
  • Recommended Crossover: 1200 Hz at 12 dB / Octave
  • Lowest Recommended Crossover: 1000 Hz at 12 dB / Octave
  • Diaphragm: Commercially pure titanium
  • Voice Coil Diameter: 2.0" / 50.8 mm
  • Voice Coil Material: Copper Clad Aluminum Wire with a High temp Kapton bobbin
  • Voice Coil Cooling: Ferrofluid
  • Flux Density: 18,000 gauss (1.8T)
  • Dimensions: 5.02" (128 mm) diameter x 3.13" (80 mm) depth
  • Horn Coupling Diameter: .960 (24.4 mm)
  • Horn Coupling Threads: Standard 1 3/8" - 18"
  • Weight Unpacked: 6.13 lb(2.78 kg)
  • Weight Packed: 6.39 lb(2.9 kg)
  • Width Packed: 5.75"(14.605 cm)
  • Height Packed: 6.125"(15.5575 cm)
  • Depth Packed: 3.625"(9.2075 cm)

Fane J-105 horn tweeter

8 ohms

Pavillon material : acier

screw number magnet/horns : 4

resonance frequency ( fs): 1500 Hz

Max. frequency : fx-18kHz

Rec. crossov. Fréq. (Fmax.) (12dB/oct.): 3000 Hz

Max Recommanded Amplifier : 100W/8ohms

Nominal Power : 50WAES

SPL (1W/1m): 105dB

spatial coverage (vertical/horizontal):45°/90°

voice coil diameter : 24,5 mm

magnet diameter : 80mm

mounting hole shape : 240x80mm

mounting depth : 193mm

size dimensions : 268x107mm

weight : 1,4 kg

diaphragm model : Monacor MHD-1255/VC

(J-105 can support 125W above 5Khz

In a full range system, with 95db/W/m woofer*, this compression driver can follow the woofer with 250W of power, about 117db/118db).

csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 1:06pm
What does the rest of your system comprise off? Its useful to know what you are balancing against.

luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

Great work, didnt realise you built boxes for others...interesting  Smile
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2023 at 2:16pm
When time allows…
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>