Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horn Tweeter Box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 8:38am
Well there is space I. The box if I did change my Mid/Low to add tweeters.

If I put x2 of the PX22’s in one box should I link them internally in Series or Parrallel, or should I link them externally as I will be linking my speakers as I found out in a previous post “You need to connect:--  amp +ve  -> speaker +ve. Then speaker -ve to next speaker +ve and finally speaker -ve back to amp -ve”.

Also do you dampen high boxes with any material?

Edited by SnailSpace - 09 March 2023 at 9:57am
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 10:25am
I'm still ot sure why you want 2x RX22 in a single cabinet. It will take quite a lot of midrange SPL for a single one to run out of steam matching it, assuming you don't clip the amp that's driving it...
  As CSG says, if the horn dispersion overlaps then you may get a less coherent sound with 2 than with just one horn. If you really want 2 in a cab then maybe try them oriented horizontally side by side on a splayed baffle...Confused
SnailSpace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 10:42am
My plan was to have them horizontal and splayed. I will probably still do x2 (x4) to a box but only connect x2 to system (as per advice)

The reason I want x2 in each cabinet is a long story (see other posts) but short story my Mids aren’t really Mids so I plan to move what I’m using as my Low (which is really a mid/low 15”) to Mids. I will get proper dedicated Lows and because I have x4 outs I will probably add a set of mids 12”. I am learning at this stage and why it’s unconventional it is actually helping me learn more as it’s forcing answers and making me understand more if that makes sense. It’s a mongrel of a sound system and a learning curve on a budget!

So do Horn boxes need lining with material or not?
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 10:48am
No, but imo metal horn flares should be damped on the inside to reduce ringing. Plastic/glass fibre ones don't need it.
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 10:48am
And I meant to say vertically on the flare, not horizontal!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 10:57am
Why do you reccomend Vertical as they are horizontal profile horns (rectangular)?
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 11:14am
I think the dispersion pattern of those horns is 90x40, so if you splay a pair vertically at the correct angle the pattern should be around 80x 90. This would mean that the cabinet would remain slim, and it should maintain reasonable stereo imaging with a pair of cabinets. It's not something I've tried before, and it's only worth you trying if you intend to use a stereo pair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 11:31am
I don’t know what dispersion pattern & 90x40& stereo imaging mean/relate to? You have to treat me like I’ve just hatched out of an egg, thanks!
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 11:48am
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

Ev hp940

I have a few of these for sale..

Probably some of the best 2" Horns ever made, very few in UK, EV Spec states response up to approx 20khz, with right driver.

So Won't be cheap..

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

With 1” drivers you will have extension to 16KHz at least so tweeters above are redundant and likely to cause more problems than they solve.

Very few people over the age of 30 can hear past 16KHz, I suspect most people in the sound system or PA game have much above 14KHz unless they are children!…

With right 2" compression driver, on EV HP940, you can effortlessly hit 16-18khz.

Heard it myself, that's why I have approx 8x-10x, of those units.

Obviously don't expect that extension, with Fane, Eminence or Paudio Comps.

You are talking JBL, Faital Pro, BMS.

Edited by levyte357- - 09 March 2023 at 12:02pm
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 12:04pm
How much heavy metal do you want for a pair, Mr Goldfinger?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2023 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Lucasdude Lucasdude wrote:

How much heavy metal do you want for a pair, Mr Goldfinger?

PM Sent..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>