Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Running different powered speakers from same amp
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Running different powered speakers from same amp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running different powered speakers from same amp
    Posted: 12 March 2023 at 5:40am
Hi guys,

I have a CVR D2004 that I would like to use to power a 3 way mono system.

The system currently consist of:
1x 1x18" 1100W sub.
2x 2x15" kick tops - 800W per driver.
1x 1.4" 100W compression drivers.
All speakers are 8ohm and this is RMS wattage that I've listed. 
Each box has its own amp channel. The 2x15 drivers are connected in parallel. 
I'm using an ultradrive 2496 as a DSP.

What settings do I have to adjust on the DSP to run this system safely as obviously the amp is way overspecced for the compression drivers, and I'm guessing the levels between subs and kicks will have to be different as well. 

Cheers.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 9:07am
Forget about the driver power handling for a second and look at the sensitivity for each section as it is loaded. The low section is going to be the limiting factor despite being the most powerful, it's always the limiting factor because everybody loves da bass. 
How are these drivers loaded? If the lows and mids are reflex then the CD will be 6-10db more sensitive which means the output level on the DSP channel driving it should be at least 10db lower, in practice it's going to be even more because we like music to be bass heavy. But as an example a 10dB difference in signal level at the amplifier results in a 10x difference in amp power being produced.. so when the sub is getting 1000w the CD will see no more than 100w, and all you have to do once the output levels are adjusted to produce balanced sound is set all the output limiters to activate at the same time.

Edited by Conanski - 12 March 2023 at 9:08am
JWS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 9:27am
Thanks!

These are paraflex cabs so not reflex. Where did you get the 6-10db figure from?

So are you saying I would want to run the amp channel for the CD wide open, and decrease the db on the DSP but however much more sensitive the CD is compared to the lows? How do I figure out how sensitive it is?
JWS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 9:28am
Thanks!

These are paraflex cabs so not reflex. Where did you get the 6-10db figure from?

So are you saying I would want to run the amp channel for the CD wide open, and decrease the db on the DSP but however much more sensitive the CD is compared to the lows? How do I figure out how sensitive it is?
JWS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 12:50pm
The sensitivity for my drivers is:
15" = 96db
18" = 99db
CD = 111db

So does this mean if i dont touch the 18. I reduce the 15 by 3db and the CD by 12db?
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by JWS JWS wrote:

15" = 96db
18" = 99db
CD = 111db

So does this mean if i dont touch the 18. I reduce the 15 by 3db and the CD by 12db?

That would be a start, but really, use your ears!  Smile

Also, you have 1 x 18" sub v. 4 x 15" low/mids, which doesn't sound very balanced - but if it works for you.  LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
JWS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2023 at 9:08am
Yeah I'm just worried about overpowering the CD.

I agree it's not balanced. This is just temporary until the rest of the system is finished. 4x 2x18 subs are in the works. 
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2023 at 11:52am
Yes, that would help.

And you need more HF as well. A couple of decent 2" drivers.   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
JWS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2023 at 12:01pm
I'll be using 2x 1.4" drivers in the system, they will be on top of 1x12" boxes, with the 2x15s and subs below that.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2023 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by JWS JWS wrote:

15" = 96db
18" = 99db
CD = 111db

If you did then each section of the system would produce the same sound level but humans tend to prefer more lows and highs and less mids so the system EQ will be some variation of this pic below, which means the mids and highs will be turned down even more than that.

Post Reply Post Reply