Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dB-Mark XCA 28 - DSP Basics for a Newbie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dB-Mark XCA 28 - DSP Basics for a Newbie
    Posted: 12 March 2023 at 4:14pm

I bought a dB-Mark XCA 28 (DSP) a few months ago and recently bought a cheap PC Laptop so I could download the software and use the interface to make learning a bit easier.

I’m currently still working on my High & Low boxes but want to learn how to use the DSP on what I will be is using as my Mids for now. Anyway after watching a few basic videos on YouTube from Thai/Vietnam/Malaysian users (this seems to be dB-Marks main market) I now have it working and playing music but the Translate function on YouTube is very sketchy and videos don’t go into the details I need.

So this is where I need to pick your brains to learn the basics. 

The Speakers I’m using (for now! So please don’t ask me why or remind me they are garbage ;) are Jamo 266 D, I have very limited information on them so how do I work out what Frequencies they are capable of producing evenly ‘From’ ‘To’?

4x Jamo 266 D:

Short Term - 265w

Long Term - 150w

4-8 ohm

I will keep it to this one question for now as I have others and don’t want to confuse the issue!

Thanks in advance

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 4:58pm
Well... those are home/studio speakers aren't they? When you play fullrange music through them do they produce what sounds like fullrange sound... within reason? 
I don't know what the published specs are but say they cover 60-18khz, you can safely limit that to smaller range without issue.. in your PA system that might be 100-2khz for example. This assumes that the Jamos are fully functional with no blown drivers or other damage of course, is that the case? It's not likely the 12" driver alone would produce much output at higher mid frequencies so the mid driver in this box would come into play. 
SnailSpace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 7:09pm
Yes Home/Studio ‘all in one’ they are a full range speaker comprising of a Tweeter/5”/12”. I can’t find the Specs unfortunately. Yes fully functional no blown speakers.
Thanks I’ll give that range a go…more basic questions to follow ;)

Edited by SnailSpace - 12 March 2023 at 7:09pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 10:29pm
Question 2.)
I’ve looked at wiki page and read about the origins but is their a simple short answer - Do these filters apply better to a certain setting of sound system or genre/format of music or are they equally great and it’s personal preference?
A. Linkwitz Riley.
B. Bessel
C. Butterworth

Thanks Conanski I’ve used those numbers it sounds nice. Early days of the learning I suppose it gets tricky as I add other outs!

Edited by SnailSpace - 12 March 2023 at 10:37pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2023 at 12:03am
There are some technical reasons you may select one or the other that has to do with the shape of the filter response and it's phase response, in general you won't hear any difference between them. In short LR filters are commonly used in crossovers as even order filters of this type sum to a flat response, and for PA applications in particular... because driver protection is very important 4th order(24dB/oct) or steeper are more common and recommended.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2023 at 11:19am

Thanks Conanski

I imagine my learning and understanding of how the DSP & Interface truly works with the Sound System & Mixer will come when I introduce my High/Low outs. Until then I’m trying not to over fiddle too much. I presume limiters and levels on dsp/amps/mixers should be question 4!

Question 3.) 

Noise Gate - I have had a quick look around and whilst I understand it is for cleaning up noise I can’t find any info on setting it on a DSP  interface in application to a Sound System? The function seems greyed out at the moment for some reason but was it was on yesterday and I noticed it had a ‘dBu’ up and down setting! Do I fiddle by ear to hear if it is reducing or cleaning any noise or is their a general setting/range that noise occurs?

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2023 at 1:31pm
A noise gate mutes the outputs when the signal levels drop below a preset threshold, the purpose of this is to reduce the amount of idle hiss or other noise from the speakers when nothing is playing. But most audio systems are pretty quiet these days and the one component that can generate quite a bit of hiss.. the amplifiers, are after the DSP so this function may be of little use.

Edited by Conanski - 13 March 2023 at 1:32pm
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2023 at 2:20pm

60hz might be to low for the Jamo its only a tiny voice coil and they were designed well before modern bass heavy EDM 

suggest 
but24 hi pass 70hz or even 80hz (let the port do the sub)
lr24 lo pass 20khz 
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2023 at 3:10pm
Thanks 4D will have a look at the difference! They sounded ok yesterday but then again it’s in a home setting so I’m not pushing them.

Surely Bass and speakers that could handle Bass existed pre modern EDM? I’m not doubting that they probably don’t have the best voice coil but they were marketed as DJ speakers during the height of the emergence of Electronic Music and post Reggae and they handle pretty well within reason. Or are you saying the modern equivalent of these speakers would be able to handle more?  
But I don’t want to over extend them and damage so will take a look as I don’t have the info it is a bit of guess work.
That leads to another question how do you know besides blowing the cones if I've got the Frequencies right or wrong?  

Edited by SnailSpace - 13 March 2023 at 3:13pm
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2023 at 3:47pm

That the Jamo's have survived thus far is a testament to their durability. 

Look at any contemporary speaker with similar components and they mostly hi-pass around 60 to 65hz, so for an old girl 70hz is not unreasonable, if they sound to thwock thwock lower it a bit until satisfied but bear in mind, the lower they play the less power they can handle 

DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2023 at 3:55pm
Thanks.

I take it ‘But’ means Butterworth & LR mean ‘Linkwitz Riley’? 

Ah so you can use different filters for hi & Lo! 

Edited by SnailSpace - 13 March 2023 at 4:14pm
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2023 at 4:36pm
yes, and i think BE is bessel on that unit

see if anyone has made general videos on LMS / DSP units

the ultradrive is often considered a good "beginner" unit, so this video might be helpful

now you know your way around the dBmark, you can apply what you have learned from other videos to your unit. it's platform agnostic knowledge :]

Edited by teeth - 13 March 2023 at 4:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>