Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dB-Mark XCA 28 - DSP Basics for a Newbie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2023 at 4:41pm
I’ve actually got that video saved already as it was a good explanation of Crossover, but thanks good idea I’ll look around for ones showing it via interface too.

I also need to get an iMovie account so I can upload photos of interface controller.

Edited by SnailSpace - 13 March 2023 at 4:43pm
SnailSpace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2023 at 11:24pm
I found the range of the Jamo’s
48-20.000hz

• Efficiency: 95.2 dB (1W/1m)
  • Transitional ranges: 1'800 / 4'800 Hz

(I’m curious to know if the 12” say anything on them, I’ll have a look inside one)

Edited by SnailSpace - 16 March 2023 at 11:35pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2023 at 3:22am
Originally posted by SnailSpace SnailSpace wrote:

I found the range of the Jamo’s
48-20.000hz Efficiency: 95.2 dB (1W/1m)

That is better than I had suspected... closer to a PA speaker than a home/studio version. The low frequency driver in a speaker like this generally determines the sensitivity for the whole system, so if you wanted to simplify and streamline your system in the future you could build new boxes for the 12's and get rid of the other drivers. The PV drivers/horns will replace the Jamo mid and high drivers.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2023 at 8:10am
Thanks that was going to be my next question whether that rating would be based on all speaker or largest.
(I saw a discussion on here where they were slated as the worst speaker ever. I’ve seen photos of the mud and horn and yeah they are basic but balance with the 12” they sound ok as a home speaker. Also I think people based opinion on the magnet size but surely it should be based on sound!)

Anyway I’ve been thinking about what Upper Mids would best work with & compliment my Lower Mids Black Widows, as you say I could use the x4 12” out of the Jamo or I have other 12s I’m wondering if they are more suitable:

I have:

x2 12” Celstion G12/75

-Sensitivity (dB) 97

-Frequency range (Hz) 80-5000

-Chassis type - Pressed Steel Resonance 

-Magnet Type - Ceramic

-Resonance frequency, Fs (Hz) 85

-Voice coil diameter (‘’) 2

x4 12” McKenzie (Fane) 70w (8ohm) but lacking info on these.

I have x2 boxes that fit x2 12”.

I also have x2 flare boxes that fit x1 12” in each.

Also:

x2 15” HH 150w (gonna see if there’s any info on back of these)

x2 15” McKenzie (Fane) 100w (again need to find info on these)

I could try and source x2 of these to make them a balanced x4?

I was wondering if any of these would be any good for Upper Mid?

(Or I could sell Jamos, Celestions are also worth a few quid and use money to fund my 18” and something that fits better with Black Widows range)

Edited by SnailSpace - 17 March 2023 at 8:47am
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2023 at 10:31pm
If you have 4 of the Jamo 12's you are all set, build some 212 boxes with the PV CD's and maybe a different horn that will fit the form factor better to give you something like this..

Edited by Conanski - 17 March 2023 at 10:32pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2023 at 11:12pm
 I have the x2 12” dual cabs (not great but suppose I can use them to  see which sounds best as the back opens)

Q) Why do Internal Wires always seem to be very thin silver wore when I open cabs up? What type of wires is favoured for internal wiring?

Edited by SnailSpace - 17 March 2023 at 11:17pm
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2023 at 11:17pm
Celestion G12 are guitar speakers. Did they come out of a 2x12 combo?
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2023 at 5:32am
Originally posted by SnailSpace SnailSpace wrote:

Q) Why do Internal Wires always seem to be very thin silver wore when I open cabs up? What type of wires is favoured for internal wiring? 

The internal wiring in a speaker cab( if original) is usually sufficient to cover the short distance between the cabinet terminal and the drivers at the power levels they are rated for. For longer runs from the amplifier to the speakers larger gauge wire should be used but in your case you probably don't need anything more that 14ga. 

All those drivers you listed are very low power by modern standards and wouldn't be hard to blow under PA uses, I have some Celestion G15-150 drivers that look really beefy but they died pretty quickly in PA cabs... they're just not built for that kind of use. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2023 at 9:10am
Ok probably better off cashing in I suppose and putting it towards the next stage. 

Edited by SnailSpace - 18 March 2023 at 9:13am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2023 at 9:16am
I understand about wire gauges outside of the Cabs but I’ve always wondered why it didn’t apply on the inside.

Does the internal wire have a name as I also need to order some or should I use the old very thin gauge speaker wire I have? I think I have some from an old bookshelf speaker but it might be copper? I don’t think I’ve ever seen copper internally it is always silver?
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2023 at 2:54pm
Speaker wire is almost always copper, some of it is just plated to reduce the chance of corrosion.
Use any standard speaker wire of reasonable size, the cost difference between minimal and decent is still less than the cost of delivery so won't really matter - either of these should be fine for example: http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=JAMBC2338, http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=JAMBC215DL1M.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2023 at 6:52pm
Thanks, I’ve probably got some knocking around if not I’ll order some cheers 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>