Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CVR and Admark Amps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CVR and Admark Amps
    Posted: 14 March 2023 at 9:16am
I've been reading the manuals for some of the amps from both of these brands and they have left me a bit confused. I'm hoping some kind folk here can provide some clarity for a few things. These questions are based off the CVR D2004 however similar things apply to admark as well.

1. These amps come with a 10amp plug, however it says at 1/3rd power it can pull 15-25amps depending on the resistance. How is this possible? Or are they referring to the output current that has been stored in the capacitors like a battery almost? Does this mean there is any benefit to running them off a 15amp circuit?

2. These amps have dip switches on the back that control the input sensitivity, however the higher the gain in db the lower the voltage goes. Why is this? For example; 32db = 3.18V, 35db = 2.25V, 41db = 1.13V. 

3. The manual says the knob on the front controls the output amplitude. I thought it would be an attenuator for input sensitivity. What does this knob actually do?

I have tried communicating directly with the companies however due to them being Chinese they have a hard time understanding my questions. They couldn't even tell me whether or not it's better to run off a 10 or 15amp circuit, which is why I'm posting here.

Hope someone can be of assistance.
Cheers:)
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2023 at 9:35am
Scientific method of establishing, if new megawatt, cheap CHinese amplifier, has specifications, that are in anyway accurate, and if your bass section, will or won't go quiet, before the end of the night.

At least if you buy a big enough Powersoft, K or X series, it will actually drive your speakers sufficiently, even if it doesn't meet published spec.

Edited by levyte357- - 14 March 2023 at 9:48am
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2023 at 9:47am
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Answer is simple.

At least if you buy a big enough Powersoft, K or X series, it will actually drive your speakers sufficiently, even if it doesn't meet published spec.

Well, there are some post on this forum including benchtest (as far as they are representative of real world applications) which prove they do what they say. I one two AD430's which power 2x SAN214
50 per channel x2 and 2x mid high perfectly. 

Why the 10A plug? Because their target group is most likely to only use smaller capacity circuits. I personally have them directly fitted to a 32A powercon. But most applications worked fine with a 16A circuit until now.

Dipswitches? Just like any other amp, to adjust input sensitivity.

Most resellers like CVR, Admark etc do not build the amp by themselves which explains the lacking knowledge.

Edited by smitske96 - 14 March 2023 at 9:48am
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2023 at 9:54am
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

Well, there are some post on this forum including benchtest (as far as they are representative of real world applications) which prove they do what they say. I one two AD430's which power 2x SAN214

Power consumption is pretty much a non issue powering Mid Tops.

However, powering subs, is when inadequate Power Supply Unit, fails, blows, or catches fire.

Which is why, most Chinese Lightweight manufacturers, have a problem being honest about current draw,  and some how magically quote output figures of 5K+ per channel @ 2 ohms, yet max current consumption quoted is 16A-20A.

Also, bench test, with purely resistive load, is next to meaningless, as loud speakers also have inductive/capacitive reactance, which causes amplifiers with lesser output sections/psus, to struggle to meet specs.

Hence not only is resistance quoted, but also impedance, as it changes with frequency.

Edited by levyte357- - 14 March 2023 at 9:58am
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2023 at 9:54am
Originally posted by JWS JWS wrote:

I've been reading the manuals for some of the amps from both of these brands and they have left me a bit confused. I'm hoping some kind folk here can provide some clarity for a few things. These questions are based off the CVR D2004 however similar things apply to admark as well.

1. These amps come with a 10amp plug, however it says at 1/3rd power it can pull 15-25amps depending on the resistance. How is this possible? Or are they referring to the output current that has been stored in the capacitors like a battery almost? Does this mean there is any benefit to running them off a 15amp circuit?

2. These amps have dip switches on the back that control the input sensitivity, however the higher the gain in db the lower the voltage goes. Why is this? For example; 32db = 3.18V, 35db = 2.25V, 41db = 1.13V. 

3. The manual says the knob on the front controls the output amplitude. I thought it would be an attenuator for input sensitivity. What does this knob actually do?

I have tried communicating directly with the companies however due to them being Chinese they have a hard time understanding my questions. They couldn't even tell me whether or not it's better to run off a 10 or 15amp circuit, which is why I'm posting here.

Hope someone can be of assistance.
Cheers:)

1. my CVR came with a genuine 32A powercon. some of the similar amps have a captive lead (4mm csa I think I have seen). what makes you think it is limited to 10A? If it has a UK mains plug with a 10A fuse just cut it off and fit a ceeform or powercon if you want (do check the size of the conductors in the lead first though). Even running through a 10a fuse gives 2300W average. The peaks in current draw won't blow the fuse.

2. the voltage is the voltage input required to give full rated output. the lower the input sensitivity the bigger the dB difference between input and output voltages.

3. the knob attenuates the input signal. the input sensitivity and gain are fixed by the dip switches.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2023 at 10:02am
I know of a British made lightweight, with an extremely well respected name, that also came with genuine Powercon 32A input socket.

It was quoted with max current draw of 32A.

Did anyone ever draw 32A on metered mains, unlikely, as at 4 ohm stereo, if you ran it on sub, with hpf below 50hz, the amplifier limited itself.

EDIT:Point being, lower than expected, quoted max current draw  figures, should immediately ring alarm bells, about lightweight amps.

Also even, 32A powercon input, is no guarantee of accurate specs either.

Confirming number of output devices per channel, transformer(s) ratings, and power regulator(s) specs, tends to provide more accurate representation, of amplifier true performance, lighweight or transformer.

Edited by levyte357- - 14 March 2023 at 10:29am
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2023 at 10:04am
You are currently only making assumptions on a previous case from s different case. 
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2023 at 10:05am

Power consumption is pretty much a non issue powering Mid Tops.

However, powering subs, is when inadequate Power Supply Unit, fails, blows, or catches fire.

Which is why, most Chinese Lightweight manufacturers, have a problem being honest about current draw,  and some how magically quote output figures of 5K+ per channel @ 2 ohms, yet max current consumption quoted is 16A-20A.

Also, bench test, with purely resistive load, is next to meaningless, as loud speakers also have inductive/capacitive reactance, which causes amplifiers with lesser output sections/psus, to struggle to meet specs.

Hence not only is resistance quoted, but also impedance, as it changes with frequency.

all amp manufacturers, Chinese or not, quote power figures with a crest factor. Sot it's possible to get 4*5KW with a 12dB CF from a 16A supply.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2023 at 10:08am

I know of a British made lightweight, with an extremely well respected name, that also came with genuine Powercon 32A input socket.

It was quoted with max current draw of 32A.

Did anyone ever draw 32A on metered mains, unlikely, as at 4 ohm stereo, if you ran it on sub, with hpf below 50hz, the amplifier limited itself.

so it's not just the Chinese amps you are cynical about! Wink
JWS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2023 at 10:11am

Yes, although powersoft and the likes are a bit out of my price range. I've used these chinese clones before. For the money they are great.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2023 at 10:13am

You are currently only making assumptions on a previous case from s different case. 

Eventually you will come to the realisation, (for sub), no lightweight amplifier, meets quoted specs,  20hz-20khz,when specs are based on 1khz burst.

The general rule of thumb is, for sub, if you really need 2.5kwpc @ 4 ohms, get lightweight rated at 5kwpc @ 4 ohms.

Edited by levyte357- - 14 March 2023 at 10:14am
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2023 at 10:22am
Originally posted by JWS JWS wrote:

Yes, although powersoft and the likes are a bit out of my price range. I've used these chinese clones before. For the money they are great.

This is the deal, entirely !!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>