Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

32A distro splitting suggestion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Natty_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 32A distro splitting suggestion
    Posted: 24 March 2023 at 1:33pm
hi to all,
what is best way to split a 32A over this configuration:
  1. x4 @2ohm 18"--->drived by a k10
  2. x6 @ 2,6..ohm 18"--->drived by a k10 -3 speaker each channel, so dual mono conf-
  3. x4 @4ohm 12"-->drived by AB amp 1250W@4ohm x channel
  4. x4 @8ohm 2"---> 1000w @8ohm AB amp
  5. x4@8ohm 1"--->400w @8ohm mosfet amp
  6. lots of signals power supply--> consolle, lms, fx, etc.
To me 1-2 needs both a bull 32A monophase each. Or i can save something?
all 18" needs k10 to maximum aviable power aviable to push proper

But then ive enouth to power all the rest?

thanks
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2023 at 10:03am
What sort of gigs are you doing? 

Screams out 32/3 distro to me that setup.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
_Natty_ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Natty_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 10:33am
thats a tricky question... depends on venue and how much sound i put out.
The configuration described is for large gig around 6-800 people with a stack of 6 scoops.

yes splitting x3 is basic but how to distrubuite them the key over tha aviable supply

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 11:06am
What drivers do you have in the Scoops? (E.g 4x 1850s can easily be powered by decent amp of 13A plug)

Do you use a pre-amp? (Boosting 40hz, incurs higher current draw)
Are you in the UK? (Many venues allowing Reggae sounds, only have 13A sockets)
Do the venues you often play in, typically just have 13A plugs, or proper 16A/32A/3PH mains available to you !?

E.g., if in the UK, and typically only have 13A plugs available in halls, might be easier having 2x sub amps, running 4 ohm stereo each max, and get 2x Kelsey Type PD7/32, sub amp on each, each distro connected to 13A plug, (on same circuit !!!)

Edited by levyte357- - 27 March 2023 at 11:11am
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Spesh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

What drivers do you have in the Scoops? (E.g 4x 1850s can easily be powered by decent amp of 13A plug)

Do you use a pre-amp? (Boosting 40hz, incurs higher current draw)
Are you in the UK? (Many venues allowing Reggae sounds, only have 13A sockets)
Do the venues you often play in, typically just have 13A plugs, or proper 16A/32A/3PH mains available to you !?

E.g., if in the UK, and typically only have 13A plugs available in halls, might be easier having 2x sub amps, running 4 ohm stereo each max, and get 2x Kelsey Type PD7/32, sub amp on each, each distro connected to 13A plug, (on same circuit !!!)

I agree with Lev. I used to run 8x Labhorns & 4x USBs and would run into power issues all the time with venues that only supplied 13A (especially with the Crest CA18s). We used to like the big amps because they sounded weightier on sub duty than bridging smaller amps, but with modern amplification this is no longer the case.

Unless you are confident you'll have access to 16/32 or 3 phase, I'd personally split the amps up.

Edited by Spesh - 27 March 2023 at 6:03pm
Symmetry Soundsystem
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2023 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Spesh Spesh wrote:

I agree with Lev. I used to run 8x Labhorns & 4x USBs and would run into power issues all the time with venues that only supplied 13A (especially with the Crest CA18s). We used to like the big amps because they sounded weightier on sub duty than bridging smaller amps, but with modern amplification this is no longer the case.

Unless you are confident you'll have access to 16/32 or 3 phase, I'd personally split the amps up.

Crest CA18, is completely different level of bass amp, when on proper power !!

Back on topic.

Powersoft K20, really does well, when asked to perform off 32A consumer ring main/13A plug, but have seen for myself, this is subject to the ring main sagging, due to wiring, other consumer devices on the ring main.

Yet again, is completely different amp, when on dedicated 32A spur, with no mains sag.

There seem to be increasing options, for modern cheaper lightweights, optimal for 4 ohm stereo, and for UK, working off distros, connected to 13A mains plug.

Edited by levyte357- - 28 March 2023 at 11:21am
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2023 at 10:16pm
If I wanted to run off three different sockets (one each for the k10's and everything else of the third feed) 
I would probably pack the following distro to give me max copper.
3x 3g1.5mm horn7-f 13A/16A converter
3x 3g1.5mm horn7-f 16A/13A converter.
2 x 13A 3g1.5mm Horn-7 to 13a 4 gang extension 
3  x 5M 16A extension cables 3g2.5mm horn7-f  (
3 x 10M 16a extension cables 3g2.5mm horn7-f

That way all the long cable runs are on 2.5mm 

lengths can selected depending on circumstance.

I like to ask to see the venues power distribution unit (fuse box) check the fuse ratings and test the rcd's on the relevant circuits & If poss pull power from different 32a ring circuits  within the venue.  

Edited by 4D - 28 March 2023 at 10:18pm
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2023 at 10:11am
Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

I like to ask to see the venues power distribution unit (fuse box) check the fuse ratings and test the rcd's on the relevant circuits & If poss pull power from different 32a ring circuits  within the venue.  

Mykey Wattco said decades ago, if in UK, and in hall/room, with just 13A plugs, always good idea, to check if power can be drawn from kitchen (unused during gig), if there is 32a plug top.

But all this "sort of thing", really does need "accomplished sparky".

Professional sparky told me years ago, if you don't know what you are doing, and screw around with electricity, it will kill you.

Edited by levyte357- - 29 March 2023 at 10:12am
Spesh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2023 at 10:39am

Mykey Wattco said decades ago, if in UK, and in hall/room, with just 13A plugs, always good idea, to check if power can be drawn from kitchen (unused during gig), if there is 32a plug top.

Professional sparky told me years ago, if you don't know what you are doing, and screw around with electricity, it will kill you.

Remember the old horror stories with two 13A plugs wired in parallel, fuses replaced with nails. If one plug was removed from the socket while the other was still receiving power, live pins would be totally exposed?

I've even seen a few home brew distros on here with 32A female input sockets. The mind boggles!
Symmetry Soundsystem
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2023 at 2:35pm

I am suggesting checking if there are multiple ring circuits within the venue and if so using a 13a outlet from each ring I am not suggesting hacking into a live fuse box. 
Checking how to isolate the supply measuring the voltage, checking polarity & fuse rating along with testing rcd's/rcbo's is not rocket science and should not be dangerous. Affordable tools are available a cheap socket tester from amazon will tell you most of what you need to know along with a simple rcd tester fluke st240 springs to mind. 

If you are likely to be held liable as senior responsible person for electrical safety then  
requirements for a completion certificate for small systems under bs7909 it is worth reading up on..

Or James Eade has similar data

DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2023 at 4:05pm

I am suggesting checking if there are multiple ring circuits within the venue and if so using a 13a outlet from each ring I am not suggesting hacking into a live fuse box.

Hi, not suggesting you said anything about messing with fuse box..

Just reminding OP, respect electricity, it kills those who don't..
_Natty_ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Natty_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2023 at 3:38pm
thanks to all contributors,
and apologize my long delay, im from italy so from civil supply we found things like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuko
 thats are 16A plug, but my configuration is for venue thats offer CEE power supply, 32A.

main question if 2 phase going to each k10, it will be enough all the rest on the last one splitted in 2?
For all the rest i mean: 
  1. x4 @4ohm 12"-->drived by AB amp 1250W@4ohm x channel
  2. x4 @8ohm 2"---> 1000w @8ohm AB amp
  3. x4@8ohm 1"--->400w @8ohm mosfet amp
  4. lots of signals power supply--> consolle, lms, fx, etc.
For "civil" supply i will use the 16A shucko reductor and lots of pray.
-ive runned lots of times struggle on it, but k10 solve a lot of my problem, less power yes, but few risk on a 16A civil too-

Edited by _Natty_ - 18 April 2023 at 3:45pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>