Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

extremely high efficiency

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: extremely high efficiency
    Posted: 03 May 2023 at 10:42am
after a late night narcotics fuelled chat with a friend, think we are going to try and design (and possibly build? lets see!) a really highly efficient system (including amps too, making another thread on the amp forum if that's your thing)

so i'm scouting out some very high efficiency designs across the bands. what are your favourites? plans, but would also be interested in commercial stuff if anything comes to mind.

teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 10:58am
some of my thoughts here:

horns/folded horns/tapped horns
i've actually not found a design out there with someone declaring it to be "really efficient" as a design principle despite the nature of horns themselves.

paraflex? i'm still finding it very hard to unpick if they are any good or not, but looking at the design, they do look like they have potential to be highly efficient

MEH/synergy/syntripp/unity horns - don't know enough to comment but i think a reasonable mid/high choice here

18sound AMT200P air motion - got a questionmark next to this one in my notebook, i don't know enough about it though...
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 10:59am
haven't touched on drivers either which will obviously play a huge part in any efficiency gains!
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 11:16am
If you can still find them, ATC made some of the most efficient drivers around. I have them in my Philishaves. If you don't mind the weight, IMHO, one of the most efficient - and best sounding mid-cabinets ever made.  Smile

Edited by Earplug - 03 May 2023 at 11:16am
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 1:08pm
Probably Danley...... they have been doing designs for a long time that attempt to  combine the output of multople transducers as coherently and constructively as possible. 
Maybe have a look at the various Danlry patents? The amount of transducers they cram into one loudspeaker are astounding..... for example the Jericho series
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 1:23pm
some discussion of high efficiency bass horns here:
https://forum.speakerplans.com/hyperbolic-bass-horns_topic105331_page2.html
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 1:39pm
Depends how big/heavy you can tolerate.
Peter Morris's PM60/90 were designed to be about the loudest thing he could get to sensibly be pole mounted for example, with the BMS coax high-mid and high driver plus 2 horn loaded 12's.
Design threads with plans over at soundforums.net
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 7:55am
well.. as far as extreme and high efficiency go.... 
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

Probably Danley...... they have been doing designs for a long time that attempt to  combine the output of multople transducers as coherently and constructively as possible. 
Maybe have a look at the various Danlry patents? The amount of transducers they cram into one loudspeaker are astounding..... for example the Jericho series
Actually considering the number of drivers inside, Danley boxes are more power hungry than efficient.
From 90Hz up there are many more efficient (amp friendly) and more compact boxes to be found.
The OP is not disclosing the size of the rig he want to build. So that info should help too.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 5:02pm
The Danley J8 has extremely high sensitivity:
Low 119dB | Mid 120dB | High 119dB (measured as 28.3V @10m)
I would guess those these numbers are exaggerated by the lower than 8 ohm impedance so would be:
Low 110dB | Mid 117dB | High 116dB if adjusted for their nominal impedance's to '1W/1m'. Still higher than any other box I know of.

I've been looking into its tweeter arrangement and it does not seem too difficult to replicate:

Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2023 at 8:15am
We went down the Tapped horn and Unity path for our off-grid setup for efficincy, running off solar means you need the biggest bang for the least power draw! Barn doors get you greater directivity and forward gain. Getting our own design Unity horn was quite a journey but they are def' worth the effort. I would look at the Syntripp design over on D.I.Y Audio forum ...extremely simple , light weight and very efficient ? We built a couple for a venue here in Melbourne and they are great small two way boxes... All my ramblings and builds are over on the 12v section here on SP ...
.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
fudge22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fudge22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2023 at 11:59am

If you are looking to maximise efficiency, you need to think outside the box.

The following papers are a good starting point.

Ronald Aarts et al:

High-Efficiency Low-Bl Loudspeakers

Efficient Resonant Loudspeakers with Large Form-Factor Design Freedom

Direct-Radiator Loudspeaker Systems with High Bl

Don Keele:

Comparison of Direct-Radiator Loudspeaker System Nominal Power Efficiency vs. True Efficiency with High-Bl Drivers

Efficiency comparison between low frequency horns and direct radiators.

Maximum Efficiency of Direct-Radiator Loudspeakers

Maximum Efficiency of Compression Drivers

If you intend to go down the “pack as many drive units as you can get in the box” route, to get insanely high output levels, it might also be worth reading chapter 15 of the book The Physics of Vibration and Waves, which covers non-linear effects in acoustic waves. The linearity of the longitudinal acoustic waves assumes air has constant bulk modulus. At high sound pressure levels this is no longer true.

It won’t hurt to gen up on the terminology. There is more to acoustics than spl. While Olson usually gets the kudos for his book Acoustical Engineering, I would recommend Acoustics by Beranek.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>