Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upgradable Starter rig for jungle, acid house

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuddhaFlows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgradable Starter rig for jungle, acid house
    Posted: 07 May 2023 at 12:05pm

Hi everyone, hope you are all doing well. I am debating getting my own rig started, just started researching and trying to find the info I need so apologies in advanced for any stupidity in my post. I want to try and DIY the cabinets. I want to start out smallish and upgrade over time so whatever I go for needs to be upgradable. The music the rig will hopefully be suited for is but not limited to 90s jungle, old school acid house, breaks and maybe a bit of dnb (probably not much jump up), new jungle such as 4am kru. Maybe even a bit of tekno.  Was thinking of starting out with 2 super scoops, 1 hd215 and 2 mt121. Any better alternatives to these? Portability aspect is a positive (don’t think the ones i’ve picked are known for portability) + easier stuff to make (don’t think i’ve chosen ones that are the easiest to make either). Do you think this would be a good setup which could be added to, and would it provide good performance for value? Also not looking for advice on amps and crossovers and stuff like that yet, just on the cabs and speakers. Any advice would be welcomed. Cheers!

BuddhaFlows View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuddhaFlows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 12:07pm
On second thought I was thinking about the subs and I was wondering if X1’S would be better suited as they are more portable and easier to make? Don’t know how well they would be able to play the kind of music I am looking to play though. Thought about G-Subs but due to utilising 2 drivers they are a bit expensive for start up costs.
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 6:04pm
Probably better building and cheaper building a few b&c sub 18s  or fane 200l reflexes and buying some pro second hand mid tops and having a play around with them to begin with. X1 and f sub a little old fashioned. Still X1 and f sub will help you learn. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuddhaFlows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 6:14pm
Thanks for the advice, any brands / models to look out for for the mid tops? Are the alternative sub options you mention offer better performance? Edit: Also what b&c sub designs would you recommend? Would these be a good start for a rig which can be added to over time?

Edited by BuddhaFlows - 07 May 2023 at 6:20pm
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 6:36pm
https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=DESFANBR18XS

If you use the search engine on this site you should find some build pictures of the above plans. these have better bracing / stregth. They are more efficient than the plans you mentioned and easier to transport. For mid tops the world is your oyster. Second hand EV, Martin, EAW etc can be picked up way way cheaper than you can make them for. I currently have Yamaha dxr 15 actives and love them in the past I have had ASS, OHM tras and community. This forum is wealth is knowledge so always ask questions.

Edited by KDW32 - 07 May 2023 at 6:50pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuddhaFlows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 7:13pm
Thank you so much. Extremely useful info gonna look into what you mentioned. One of my favourite things is to ask questions.

Edited by BuddhaFlows - 07 May 2023 at 7:13pm
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 9:21am
I am sure  the G sub has a place somewhere. But for me that place is not as a dedicated sub. I have had a pair of gsubs run off a crown vz5000 and in a room for 200 they were not enough. I've had 2 pairs of simple reflex 18's in a bigger room and they hammered it. 

X1 while a little old now, still hold their own and I would prefer a pair of those over a pair of g subs. 

I love scoops as well, but would suggest 2 a side not 1. 

It takes a lot to beat a simple twin 18 reflex box like the Martin Audio 218. Or Logic systems twin push pull 18's. 

Tops wise...so many choices. Personal fav floods. But you will need something to play from those to your subs unless you have turbo bass bins.

Those Yamaha speakers do sound lovely, however they are active. If you can find them, fbt verves are awsome. Martin, logic, nexo, lots of choices for tops. 

In bass no one can hear you scream!
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 9:04am
When choosing a top box always make sure your going to be able to afford to amp / process it.
IMHO the Kf850 along as you have a crew around you is the best bang for buck free party box. Although it can be fairly expensive to amp and process properly as the drivers are all fairly power hungry and it’s 3 way. But will play down to 100hz easy so can sit directly on top of subs.

I’d shy away from the active Yamahas as your main tops as they are just not powerful enough. We have loads of them in hire stock for disco hires / last minute monitors etc and they are great. But FOH PA Nah.

Floodlight as mentioned before are one of the nicest sounding boxes ever made. Also very much heritage now and if a driver breaks in a way it can’t be repaired which is fairly likely if your a new outfit then they can quite quickly become firewood now :(

Martin W8 is a good choice. May even be most cost effective trying to find some WS218X subs cheap rather than building? 

Just my two cents worth also. Unless your playing massive out door areas or huge arenas. Look at avoiding horn loaded subwoofers for a bit. A double 218 or single 118 is really a sensible option loads of clean controllable bass.

Edited by jacethebase - 09 May 2023 at 9:04am
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuddhaFlows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 1:07pm
Thanks for the advice and idea. Does a Martin Audio 218 provide double the performance than the MA 118? IIRC I was reading a thread and someone argued that you might as well just have for example 2 x 18" cabs rather than 1 double 18" cab, due to offering the same performance but with more ease of transport and portability, what do you think? Seems like lots of options for tops so I am more focusing on which subs to choose. 

This was in reply to Midas's comment btw forgot to quote it.
Cheers Handshake

Edited by BuddhaFlows - 10 May 2023 at 1:09pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuddhaFlows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

When choosing a top box always make sure your going to be able to afford to amp / process it.
IMHO the Kf850 along as you have a crew around you is the best bang for buck free party box. Although it can be fairly expensive to amp and process properly as the drivers are all fairly power hungry and it’s 3 way. But will play down to 100hz easy so can sit directly on top of subs.

I’d shy away from the active Yamahas as your main tops as they are just not powerful enough. We have loads of them in hire stock for disco hires / last minute monitors etc and they are great. But FOH PA Nah.

Floodlight as mentioned before are one of the nicest sounding boxes ever made. Also very much heritage now and if a driver breaks in a way it can’t be repaired which is fairly likely if your a new outfit then they can quite quickly become firewood now :(

Martin W8 is a good choice. May even be most cost effective trying to find some WS218X subs cheap rather than building? 

Just my two cents worth also. Unless your playing massive out door areas or huge arenas. Look at avoiding horn loaded subwoofers for a bit. A double 218 or single 118 is really a sensible option loads of clean controllable bass.

Thank you also for the reply. just had a search for the kf850's they are definitely out of my price range for the time being, and the WS218x's seem pretty hard to find? Unless I am not looking close enough. Definitely probably going to go down down the reflex route.

CheersThumbs Up 
 Post Reply Post Reply