Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rental of hybrid/battery power systems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlosdelondres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rental of hybrid/battery power systems
    Posted: 16 May 2023 at 6:35pm
Does anyone have any recommendations when it comes to generator alternatives? It's been a while since I needed to organise anything like this myself and I see quite a few companies are now offering battery/inverter based systems, either standalone or hybrid with generator input.

For dynamic loads like PA so much better than a generator, when your peak loads are high but average power is pretty low.

For the event I'm thinking of total power needs will be 20-30kWh max, with peak draw uner 10kVA. Seems it should be possible to rent stuff to do this on battery these days....?

Live off grid on battery, solar etc, so familiar with that side of things, but not the commercial rental kit that's available.
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 8:06pm
monkeypuzzle has a system like this I think?
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Aman Gebru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aman Gebru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 10:40am
Just go out and hire a KIA EV6 or any electric car that can do bidirectional changing (V2L) and power the system off that LOL

Not sure if any hybrid cars can do V2L, but if they can you have a generator as well.

Hire 2 then you can run the lights of the second car.

It's also great for getting your staff to the show as well Big smile

Edited by Aman Gebru - 17 May 2023 at 10:50am
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 1:43pm
Love my battery inverter setup! Generally tends to be the first power source I reach to where possible nowadays! If someone told me a few years ago that you can have the equivalent power of a diesel generator in the package of a one man lift I would of said they’re a liar LOL
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 5:09pm
So is this setup you'd want need to be in the region of 10kW total (for audio) ?
If so - I think that might be _just about_ within reach of a (fairly extreme) standalone battery system.

There are ridiulously high power 12V amplifiers (for cars!!) - e.g. this one :-)

.... now do I believe 15000 watts ? Nah not really, but even if it can suply half of what they claim, that would still be in the region of 4-5kW into 2R load - so surely enough for 4 x 18" bass boxes .... then maybe another one (or somewhat lesser one) for some kick, and then some more "normal" amps like the well tried and trusted Pioneer 9704 or 8704 wchich can muster something like 400W x 2 into 8R loads.

Now for the midtops a 100Ah Lifepo4 (or 2) should get you a decent run-time. For the bass section(s) - well a few (8 or 12 ?) of those 220Ah prismatic cells _should_ be able to fit the bill. Gonna need some pretty fancy/heavy/short cabling to carry some pretty awesome current flow ..... maybe those mega capacitors might be appropiate here.

To charge those monster cells in reasobale time - maybe a EV charging point could be used ?

Now I'm not advocating the above as viable, or workable, or sensible - but it seems possible .... unlike a few years back, when I'd have said "nah mate forget it - use a genny".

Edited by slaz - 17 May 2023 at 5:14pm
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
carlosdelondres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlosdelondres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 6:18pm
hah! I can't find the specs for V2G operation on the Kia but I guess if the inverters can sync to the grid then they can sync to each other and could parallel them to get more than 3.6kW...Seem to be just V2L in bumph which might imply it needs somthing else to sync up...

Could be a problem if you run it flat in a field though LOL guess you can always tow it to recharge via regen LOL

Yep not loads of power, few led lights, small 3 way system running off FFA10/E45/T1500 plus mons and dj stuff. Plus a small daytime rig for small bands and associated kit.

I've built a few little battery systems and some pretty big batteries (75kWh out of 20Ah cells in our boat) so could certainly whack something together to run a setup like this for a weekend, and might do that in the future if the rental market can't provide. I kinda had the feeling it would be able to though - higher end commercial (45kVA 3 phase and 90kWh battery) is easy enough, to find but overkill and they want you to have a genset as well so gets a bit silly. You can also rent small stuff, these seem quite good but battery capacity limited, and don't seem to be able to stack 'em to increase power: https://brandonhirestation.com/media/product-downloads/product-manuals/Instagrid-One-Max-Single-Specsheet.pdf

Just not come across anything in the middle ground on power and cost...so any suggestions or experience with renting this sort of stuff would be great!

Cheers all :)

Edited by carlosdelondres - 17 May 2023 at 6:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply