Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sockets/Plugs & Wiring Configurations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sockets/Plugs & Wiring Configurations
    Posted: 17 May 2023 at 11:09am

I have a few questions so will put them all under one topic and ask one at a time! Thanks

I have x2 GAE 215L Dual 15” reflex cabs.

I will load with PV BW:

https://peavey.com/black-widow-1508-4-sps-bwx-speaker/p/00560140

They currently have a x4 pole metal screw fitting (Cannon-G 18-10 I can’t find any info or connectors and I’m planning on changing it to Speakon anyway)

LEFT cab has x1 INPUT and RIGHT has an INPUT & OUTPUT all 4 pole with each speaker driver having a Red & Black Wire back to Socket.

I presume this is the best way to wire and means 4 pole speakon sockets & connectors?

My question is if I use the same wiring & 4 pole sockets & connectors does this mean I need x4 wires (4 core) running back? 2 to L and 2 to R?

Also how do I link to each other/Amp - is it (Left) INPUT to (Right) INPUT then OUTPUT to AMP.

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 2:45pm
How do you plan to use these? They won't take much power as subs but if it's as kicks they will be OK. But even then 500w/dr is probably the limit so my suggestion is to series wire the driver pair back to the speakon connector for an 8ohm load per box, and that means you could power all 4 boxes from a single amp.

If you do wire each driver individually to the speakon that would require 4 core speaker wire and you will also need a patch panel or a combiner box to connect all drivers to the amplifier... or more amplifiers. 
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 2:47pm
Double post

Edited by Conanski - 17 May 2023 at 2:48pm
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 9:10pm
I see you have specified the

Black Widow® 1508-4 SPS  4 ohm so putting 2 in cabinet results in either a 2 ohm or 8 ohm load if wired together.

I'm not sure if that is optimal?
Most amplifiers are happy at a 4 ohm load per channel so 2 X 8 ohm drivers per cab could be wired as a 4 ohm load - connected back to the amplifier with a 2 core cable, 1 cab per channel.
More concerning was that the

Black Widow® 1508-4 SPS has an low xmax of 2.4mm

While the

Black Widow® 1508-8 SPS has an xmax of 4.7mm

I did not find any info on the GAE 215L Dual 15 but Have you run any simulations to find out if if this combination of box & driver is anywhere near optimal for your needs?

SnailSpace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 10:21pm

Conanski:

I intend to use them as lower Mids above the x4 EV Subs.

I only have x2 215L boxes (I presume you meant x4 drivers)

x2 BW in each cab and will be using the Crown XLi3500

https://www.crownaudio.com/en/products/xli3500

I had a feeling with what I have the best option would be to series wire using 2 Pole. 

Xoc1: 

No I haven’t run any simulations. To be honest I also know little about simulations and I’m

new to separating my frequencies and the system is cobbled together of what I could get on the cheap to learn on.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 11:20pm

This leads me to my next question:

BASS:

I have x4 Cubo Subs.

Loaded with x4 Eminence Kappa Pro 15LF

https://eminence.com/products/kappa_pro_15lf2

The Amp I will be using is:

iNuke6000

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0B1Q

x2 Cubo have IN & OUT Speakon Sockets (2 Pole)

x2 Cubo have IN Speakon Sockets (2 Pole)

The seller says he linked the IN to IN (2 Pole) and then the OUT back to AMP (2 Pole).

On a previous post I seem to remember someone saying that I should ‘sum my LF to mono’.

When you ‘sum’ LF and turn on Mono do you still use both INPUT Channels or just CHB?

Looking at the back of iNuke Amp when it is in Mono do you only use CHB OUTPUT?

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 12:15am
Originally posted by SnailSpace SnailSpace wrote:

On a previous post I seem to remember someone saying that I should ‘sum my LF to mono’.

When you ‘sum’ LF and turn on Mono do you still use both INPUT Channels or just CHB?

Looking at the back of iNuke Amp when it is in Mono do you only use CHB OUTPUT? 

You are confusing two different things here... a summed mono signal and a bridged mono amplifier. 

Summing the signal to mono should be done in the DSP but you should not bridge the amp to mono, just set it up for dual mono if possible or stereo... which ends up being the same as dual mono with a summed signal. 

Typically if the amp has a dual mono mode then a single input signal on ChA drives both output channels, if it doesn't have that option then you need to put the same summed signal on 2 DSP outputs to drive both amp channels or use a Y cable. 

Edited by Conanski - 18 May 2023 at 12:19am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 10:36am

Ok thanks I only downloaded the manual for the iNuke last night so will take a look and do some more research and watch some more YouTube videos and come back to subject of LF/Bass.

So with the 2x2 15” Dual Cabs using 2 Pole Speakon Sockets how do I wire internally? Series?

Do I keep socket configuration of L with x1 IN and R with IN & OUT or do I add an OUT socket to L? (Or would that only be for if I intended on having L & R stacks in different part of a room!)

For a single stack would it be a short run from IN to IN? Then x1 Plug in OUT with x2 Plugs on other end of wire into AMP?

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 3:14pm
With only 2 boxes you non't need to link them together just connect one to each channel of the amp.

Inside the boxes the drivers are wired as below to pins 1+/- of a speakon

Series driver wiring

Edited by Conanski - 18 May 2023 at 3:19pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 5:05pm
So does this mean on the Box which currently has 2 Sockets (IN&OUT) I just fit x1 2 Pole Speakon Socket and wire drivers to that leaving old fitting in place? 

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 12:39am
Yeah you could do that, but remove all the wires from those unused connectors.
You might consider using NL4 speakon jacks anyway though... for future considerations.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 7:22am

I’ve found a guide to calculate what size speaker wire

https://soundcertified.com/what-size-speaker-wire-guide/

Cable Length / Amplifier RMS / Speaker Impedence

Are my calculations correct below or will the Speaker Driver Impedence change on the dual boxes when wired as you say?

LOWER MID - Crown XLI 3500/PV BW: 5-10m/1350w/4ohm = 12awg

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>