Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sockets/Plugs & Wiring Configurations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

I would suggest more research on the basic's try wiki how or wiki pedia. 

The Yamaha guide is often cited as a good resource 

That's been suggested a few times to SnailSpace. It really is good advice.
SnailSpace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 2:23pm
I had a quick look but I was a bit blinded by the science.
For me at this stage, I need an idiots guide and to ask basic questions! Videos on YouTube can do only so much but it’s the personal knowledge/experience I’m finding most helpful and informative. Once it’s wired and running I will find the time and a quiet place to delve into amp/dsp manuals and the Yamaha guide. Thanks though  
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 2:13am
Originally posted by SnailSpace SnailSpace wrote:

If Specs say GX3 can only take 300w per channel at 8ohm and I put x2 (x4) PV 4ohm 500w continuous (1000w program/2000w peak) through why would it not blow amp putting 500w+ through a 300w amp?
Ok then.. safe to say you don't understand audio electronics... at all. Wink 
Lets try this... Amplifiers produce power(voltage really but lets keep is simple for now).. speakers consume it. An 8ohm load is very safe for a pro power amp, it's not hard to push a small amp like this to it's limits but it's nearly impossible to blow it up under these conditions.. it will protect itself and hopefully the person running the system will hear something distorting and pull back on the controls a little. 
A speaker will work just fine with any amount of power from miliwatts up to it's maximum peak handling capacity as long as the mechanical or electrical limitations of the driver are not exceeded. Key thing to note... for low frequency drivers and those you have in particular they will reach a mechanical limit long before hitting an electrical limit, so forget you ever saw the those peak power handling specs.

When it comes to a multiway speaker system like yours the only thing that matters is producing enough SPL in each bandwidth to compliment all the others, so that is what you need to focus on. You have a bunch of mismatched cabs and drivers so you won't be pushing anything except the subs to thier limits, I know this from experience and you will soon too.

Would I have to be cautious not to push them too high (max volumes/setting limits etc is a question for when it’s functioning as a stack but Im being cautious now so as not to push capabilities)
Yes, and that is what limiters are for but those are the last thing set after you have everything else sorted out.

Edited by Conanski - 28 May 2023 at 2:33am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 11:37am
Thanks yeah that makes sense Conanski.

PS I will do my homework when all the physical work is done…promise Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 11:05pm

I think I’ve sourced some decent amount of cable, 2 core shielded which already has some speakons on also, when I’ve asked what AWG it is they said they don’t know but has sent a photo and it’s 4mm in diameter (multi stranded twisted copper). Now when I’ve looked and put it in a mm to AWG calculator it has come back as 8/9AWG So after looking on YouTube I realised you measure by the strand for stranded then so a calculation? As it’s unlikely the seller has an AWG tool the only info I have is that it is multi stranded and when put on a ruler it has a diameter of 4mm? Is there a way of knowing the AWG?

Edited by SnailSpace - 29 May 2023 at 11:22pm
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 11:15pm
a lot of people on here are in europe where we don't encounter AWG measurments much, and aren't really familiar with it.. but 4mm cable is more than enough for anything you should be doing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 11:30pm
That’s what’s been confusing me is not all manufacturers put the AWG info on. But then I found stranded wire also has another calculation cross sectional area of each strand x amount of strands! Obviously it being audio you need stranded for flexibility but basing it on it being OFC copper 4mm diameter multi strand is there a UK/European system?
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 11:40pm
i'm doing this 20 years or more.. have loads of systems and hundreds of meters of adequate 4 core cable of either 2.5mm or 4mm CSA.. and i have no idea about strand counts and have never had any reason to know... you're overthinking weird details here in my opinion.. rubberised cable is nice.
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 12:41am
4mm^2 is what you need, it refers to the 'Cross Sectional Area' (CSA) of the conductor.

The diameter of the conductor is a totally different measurement and of no real use to you. Stranded wire is often quoted as the diameter per strand x number of strands. You will need to use some PiR^2 sorts of maths to use that to work out the CSA.

You also do not want shielded cable for speaker cable. If what you are looking at is shielded then it suggests it is massively inappropriate for use.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 1:03am
RoadRunnersDust: Sorry yeah don’t know why I put ‘shielded’. I knew you mentioned 4mm2 but yes doing it by CSA on the online calculator would make it around 11awg.

Cravings: It’s my first system so I probably am overthinking it but when I listened to the Life in Dub Podcast (Steve Vibronics well worth a listen) I heard so many tales of blown amps & speakers I’m double checking Wink and taking it easy out the blocks…’Measure twice cut once!’
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 1:11am
mm^2 and AWG don't match up perfectly and AWG generally skips the odd sizes for larger conductors.

12AWG is more accurately about 3mm^2 so when you try to convert 4mm^2 into AWG you often get an answer of 10AWG (~5mm^2 but actually available) or 11AWG which is technically accurate but nearly impossible to buy in any useful format.

For your purposes whilst 12AWG may be perfectly fine, you're basically trying to order cable using the wrong language for your region. You want to be looking for 4mm^2.

There really isn't any way around the fact that it's not cheap either. It'll either be the proper stuff and fit for use or it'll be shite 
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 9:03am

Cravings: It’s my first system so I probably am overthinking it but when I listened to the Life in Dub Podcast (Steve Vibronics well worth a listen) I heard so many tales of blown amps & speakers I’m double checking Wink and taking it easy out the blocks…’Measure twice cut once!’

red lights pretty much mean stop. that's a basic that a lot of people don't seem to grasp.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>