Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best 18” driver for ported enclosure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve’0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best 18” driver for ported enclosure
    Posted: 29 May 2023 at 7:13pm
Looking to build two double 18” ported enclosures. They will be permanently mounted outdoors but protected from direct weather so waterproof cones are a must. Since they are outdoors I am thinking tuned to 40 or 45hz? I will be playing mostly rock, country, blues. I only have about 800watts per driver so nothing crazy. Ferrite will be fine because I will not be moving them and they are less expensive. Size and weight is not a concern. 8 ohm. What would everyone recommend for drivers and box design for best sound quality. Budget is around $300 per driver.
BANG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 9:18am
RCF L18P400
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 9:31am
I've had good results with Celestion FTR4080 in reflex cabs tuned around 40hz.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 11:16am
18TBW100/18HW1070/18TLW3000 would be on my list.

All have a good amount of xmax and would suit your needs. I would aim the tuning at 35/40Hz.
Steve’0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve’0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 5:27pm
What would be the best option below? Since I only have 800 watts available per driver would I be better with a lower powered driver? I can do a box as large as 250L per driver if needed.
18TBX100 | 18PZB100 | 18PS100 | 18RBX100
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 6:06pm
I would still go with higher power and xmax models. You will be working in the linear range far longer. Plus, if you do upgrade you amp, you are already set.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2023 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Steve’0 Steve’0 wrote:

What would be the best option below? Since I only have 800 watts available per driver would I be better with a lower powered driver? I can do a box as large as 250L per driver if needed.
18TBX100 | 18PZB100 | 18PS100 | 18RBX100

Well, the PS & PZB have lower Xmax (& Xvar), so they will be limited to lower maximum volumes.
Unless you've found stupidly good pricing on lightly used second hand ones, I just wouldn't bother with those.
TBX was B&C's flagship driver (of their off-the-shelf models) when it came out, it's an absolutely solid choice for what you're doing and is in thousands of well respected big brand boxes.
RBX is 15-20 years newer than TBX, advances in modelling of the magnetic fields and manufacturing tolerances etc mean you get pretty similar performance for ~10% less cost IIRC.

None of these really need a very big box, 130-170 litres net tuned in the high 30's as Smitske suggests should be fine.
Steve’0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve’0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2023 at 6:51pm
Thanks for the advise. I will just go with the 18TBX100 suggested design. Does the box volume include driver, braces and ports or do I need to add those volumes to the 200L? If I do a slot port will the suggested port size still tune correctly? https://bcspeakers.com/en/products/lf-driver/18-0/8/18tbx100.pdf - https://bcspeakers.com/en/products/lf-driver/18-0/8/18tbx100.pdf

DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2023 at 2:15pm
The box volume is defined as net, so yes, you would need to add extra for the driver, port, bracing, any handles you include etc.
A slot port will tune lower than an equivalent round port, as 2 (or more depending on where in the box it's located) sides are extended by the box walls. That means that people often find they need to build their first box with one removeable side initially so they can get in and cut the port shorter if need be (example here).
There is a way of manually calculating a revised port length to account for this, I've made a spreadsheet to make it a bit easier which can be found here: Link

Edited by DMorison - 04 June 2023 at 2:20pm
Steve’0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve’0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2023 at 7:15pm
Thanks for the info. That is a great help. Are there any designs for a 10” two way to play down to 100htz? 

RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2023 at 3:35pm
Is there any particular reason you want to go for a reflex design?

For the content you’re going to be playing, a sensibly tuned BPH would probably work better
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2023 at 11:46pm
PD186. Just my 2p worth. I had 4 reflex bins loaded with said driver, played loud and low. I've got the plans if you ask me nicely. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>