Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best for Crown Macro-Tech 5002VZ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kanalogue23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best for Crown Macro-Tech 5002VZ
    Posted: 01 June 2023 at 9:38pm
Hello there everybody! Thanks for this great opportunity to learn about my good old freshly bought MA5002.
So i am wondering how is the best way to use and wire up this amp?! For the moment i have 2 Fane Colossus 18xs 4 ohm drivers(1200w@4 ohm) loaded in Cb-18 Cyclops enclosures. Here is no problem at all running them in stereo one per channel... but i am on my way into having 4 of these beasts, four 4 ohm speakers,1200w each in 4 separate Cb-18's. What is the best way to drive those from my MA5002Vz? I am looking for advice regarding wiring them in stereo mode or parallel mono mode, VZ switches position, sensitivity switch... I have the international version with wingnuts, in parallel mono mode do i need to add the 14 gauge to the positive? Many thanks to anybody who'll get the time to teach me!!!

Edited by kanalogue23 - 02 June 2023 at 4:16am
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 10:28pm
Just put two cabs/drivers on each channel and off you go. You could put three on each and still get good results. The old macrotechs are real power Clap
billso View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2023 at 8:41pm
Sticking 3 4ohm bass drivers on any amp chanel does not sound like a good idea to me. 
It could possibly be ok with 2 but I wouldn't do it.

Edited by billso - 02 June 2023 at 8:42pm
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2023 at 12:15am
go easy on the old girl, unless you have a new old stock unit. Or deep pockets
Kevin

North Staffordshire

FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2023 at 7:30am
Originally posted by billso billso wrote:

Sticking 3 4ohm bass drivers on any amp chanel does not sound like a good idea to me. 
It could possibly be ok with 2 but I wouldn't do it.

We used to run three dual 18 BR loaded with beyma 18g550-8, of each channel. Thats three 4ohms loads each channel.

Not a problem. The trusty MA5002 got hot. Like Hot! But not ones did we encounter any issues. Sure, if we really needed to run flat out, we rolled out two amps with eight subs. But it is absolutely doable. 

And for what I know, both our old MA5002 amps are still running.

First of all, you need to keep that old girl clean.....!!!!!
Second, let the amp breath easy. Don't cram it into a small rack and seal it up with blind panels. 
Give it one or two units of space above and below. And if you really want to make it a clean rack closed up with panels, then use vent panels and maybe a couple of highspeed fans to help remove that heated air. 

As stated above, we never ones had a issue Thumbs Up
kanalogue23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kanalogue23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2023 at 8:33am
So you ran 3x4 ohm subs in stereo mode? Maybe that's a reason why the amp got hot in the first place, as far as i know driving very low impedance requires parallel mono.
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2023 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by kanalogue23 kanalogue23 wrote:

So you ran 3x4 ohm subs in stereo mode? Maybe that's a reason why the amp got hot in the first place, as far as i know driving very low impedance requires parallel mono.

Yes we ran 3 (three) 4ohm subs on each channel. About 1,33ohms as i remember.
And we were not the only ones doing it. I could name a few who did it too.
Worked just fine, as long as the heat could get out. 

kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2023 at 10:51pm
if you run a crown MA series outside its parameters then the odep will over-ride what you're doing and simply go to gain reduction until it's back in its safe operating area. Assuming it's properly calibrated and every part is in 100% perfect condition.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2023 at 10:02pm
1.3r in stereo mode is overkill for any MacroTechs...will work but with the odep limitation and acting as a heat generator,we are in 2023 and people still cannot read a damn user manual for an 20+ years old amplifier....and still cannot understand the fact that high temperatures reduce dramatically the lifespan of the output transistors...i have 12 Macro's and zero failures so far in the last 8 years,i use them mostly in 4r stereo,and maybe once in 2-3 years i use couple of them in full range duty 2r stereo,so stop torturing amplifiers before is to late and start crying after there gone for good or in hundreds of pounds of parts list and repairs.

Edited by EmPro - 16 June 2023 at 10:17pm
EmPro Audio
kanalogue23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kanalogue23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2023 at 12:24am
Originally posted by EmPro EmPro wrote:

1.3r in stereo mode is overkill for any MacroTechs...will work but with the odep limitation and acting as a heat generator,we are in 2023 and people still cannot read a damn user manual for an 20+ years old amplifier....and still cannot understand the fact that high temperatures reduce dramatically the lifespan of the output transistors...i have 12 Macro's and zero failures so far in the last 8 years,i use them mostly in 4r stereo,and maybe once in 2-3 years i use couple of them in full range duty 2r stereo,so stop torturing amplifiers before is to late and start crying after there gone for good or in hundreds of pounds of parts list and repairs.

So what are you saying here is that i'd rather swap the drivers for 8 ohm in order to run 4 in stereo mode(meaning a total 4 ohm per side/channel). That is why i am searching for practical information about this amp(like wiring it in parallel mono for international version in order to run low impedance+switches position), i've read the manual but it is not very specific in some cases... anyways i know that any amplifier shouldn't run in less than 4 ohm in stereo mode.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2023 at 3:23am
Read the manual thoroughly! Particularly in regards to the Load/Limit Indicators.

Over analyzing an amplifier that was the standard in the touring industry 30 years ago as if it is going to collapse if/when it face a low impedance load contradicts every owner's user experience pertaining the Macro-Tech 5000vz

Best Regards,    

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 17 June 2023 at 3:34am
Elliot Thompson
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2023 at 8:05am
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Read the manual thoroughly! Particularly in regards to the Load/Limit Indicators.

Over analyzing an amplifier that was the standard in the touring industry 30 years ago as if it is going to collapse if/when it face a low impedance load contradicts every owner's user experience pertaining the Macro-Tech 5000vz

Best Regards,    

This is precisely what I am saying. Myself and many other users I know of who have pushed these old girls hard and with low imp loads, know what they can do without wrecking anything. So to all those who haven't been there but simply speak from what the manual say, stop trying to teach me/us otherwise. It is tried, tested and found working like a charm. These amps are build like the old pyramids. Gonna last forever!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>