Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Omnitop 12 build pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2007 at 12:29am
If someone else is willing to take on the law suit that might happen if those plans were posted online then be my guest, but part of the plans is a copyright notice and after all, bill has the details of everyone who has purchased the plans and while I dont know enough about the internet to work out if its possible to actually track that, I dont plan to risk posting.

The plans are not just the diagram of the box, they include all the techniques required and step by step construction techniques for assembly, like your own construction guide but even more in depth.

The difference being most of the folk that build the fitzmaurice plans have not really DIYed anything much before, so the whole concept of building may have to be taken from scratch and originally a lot of his plans were developed for bass players as backline, its only in recent years that his DR horns have been able to cope up to 3.5kHz comfortably with the recent addition of the phase bung.

Yes there have so far been no rogue posters online, but I expect that someone would have to purcahse a plan first in order to do that and presumably this is why there are no plans lurking.

Yes it does seem to be a perfect business, maybe you should do it too rog? I am sure there are plenty of good plans you have lurking in your head that you could market.

Having said that Bill has to sit there every day on his forum answering questions from sometimes clueless builders, and that must get a bit tedious.

Stu
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2007 at 12:48am
Btw the only reason I find myself recommending particular Bill Fitz plans over yours is the fact that the 4560 type design is somewhat more flexible than something like the MT122 and especially when used in small amounts as a lot of people do.

With a larger ported rear chamber the cabs can work standalone down to a reasonable crossover point of perhaps 80-100Hz rather than cutting off at 160Hz or higher which would ideally require a kickbass and a sub cab which I dont believe very many people have room to cart around or power but of course when they do its MT122 or 102 all the way.

There are obvious limitations of the designs such as the shorter horns can never give as much gain and focused dispersion as a longer horn and that his DR bent horns should never work in a million years but it all comes down to what is

a) important from a practical sound perspective and
b) what people are willing to accept as a compromise.

As I have said before the plans were initially made for small bands and DIYer musicians running their own rig, since then as the popularity has grown there have become a more professional engineer following but it seems that while there may be things that you as a designer would not consider because they may be "too compromised" for your tastes, Bill has managed to make them work because he has worked out that while you might not accept that as a compromise, many people will.

Sure the DRs may have time domain issues and require a fair amount of EQ to get it sounding right and some wise people such as JD01 have pointed out that even EQ cant account for any phase anomalies that might occur but it goes back to the fact that nevertheless people are still satisfied with their sound. The reason I use BF cabs is because I want the efficiency of a horn even a compromised one but want the portability of a reflex. I believe many people share that view.

Stu

Edited by Disco Stu - 26 July 2007 at 12:53am
All you need to know is:

My acts:
Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2007 at 12:54am
copyright laws dont apply to critising the plan....  which is what we are doing.  As such you can indeed post it. 

Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2007 at 3:00pm
There isnt really much special or new about the Omnitop plans its a basic 4560 type design, with a horn to give midrange boost and then a large ported rear chamber so that the box can have a lower cutoff albeit at reduced SPL as is clearly shown in the pics here.

There are also instructions on how to construct a makeshift phase plug in the plans from styrofoam which help to get the box to cutoff higher, and also the use of a low pass filter on the woofer increases response at 2kHz with the box rolling off around 3kHz which is where the piezo array or compression driver will take over. The rest can pretty well be worked out from these pictures and the overall dimensions of the box given on bills site 22"x18"x28"

The main criticism I have heard about from several speakerplans forum members is that the published SPL charts dont add up. Unfortunately I have no means of testing the overall output, as I dont have SPL measuring software, what I do have however is a good ear and thats ultimately what its all about, but nevertheless the SPL of bills other plan the half size Omni 10 that I built was definitely a lot louder and sounded a lot better than the reflexes I had the drivers in before. There is a review knocking around on this site.

The other criticism is about the use of piezo arrays. I dont have a problem with them as I have always used piezos in my boxes with great success, and from the tests done by several forum members including myself I think we have established that 12 piezos properly cut down and arrayed actually make a better sound than a pair of compression drivers and I personally found that the 1177 dual elements give the best overall sound, with the 1005s working best for electronic music.

The only beef I have with bill is about his use of eminence drivers which I dont really consider to be robust enough to last and I expect to have much higher power compression figures than some other manufacturers, however they do seem to make drivers with rising responses which he seems to consider most ideal for his horns.

The DRs are a different ball game and from what I hear they are a bitch to make but I dont have the plans for them so I cant help you with that. A single DR250 is apparently comparable with an Omnitop 2x12, roughly the same sensitivity of 106/107dB, 1x10" vs 2x12" but the Omnitop 2x12 is louder because of the increased powerhandling and sensitivity of 2 drivers vs 1.

Stu
All you need to know is:

My acts:
planman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2007 at 5:43pm
If anyone's interested, here are the t\/ba 30 plans:

http://next.time.my.ip.gets.banned.doc

Edited by Lasse Lukkari - 31 July 2007 at 12:16pm
Rockin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2007 at 6:50pm
Nice one thanks
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2007 at 6:04pm
So now that people have seen the tuba plans what do they think?

I would like to hear Rogs and Tonys opinions particularly

Stu
All you need to know is:

My acts:
bgavin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgavin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2007 at 5:06pm
This is theft of copyrighted intellectual property of Bill Fitzmaurice. 
bgavin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgavin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2007 at 4:49am

Here is what is now set in motion by Planman:

Bill Fitzmaurice has notified both www.rapidshare.com and www.speakerplans.com that they are parties to the unauthorized publication and distribution of copyrighted material. Bill has rights of redress for the full amount of the total value of all copies of that material downloaded from www.rapidshare.com at $14.95 per download.

www.rapidshare.com in turn has the right to reimbursement from www.speakerplans.com, being a responsible party, and both have the right to reimbursement from the person who created the links at those respective sites, for not only their cost of reimbursing me but for their legal expenses incurred as well.

And we haven't even touched on the criminal penalties, which are the same as those you see at the opening of every movie, be it in a theater or on DVD.

Rengade Project View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rengade Project Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2007 at 6:56am
Two people who just joined having a fit over some plans.This looks like a set up of some sort,Rog needs to get involved.Maybe block both these users.I have bought plans from Bill Fitzmaurice in the past but this whole scene reeks so no more for me.
MUSIC SWEET,www.myspace.com/renegadeproject
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2007 at 7:46am
Moderators, please delete that link!
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2007 at 11:22am
BGavin is a mod at the Bill Fitz forum so I doubt its a setup.

Stu
All you need to know is:

My acts:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>