Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 18" horn, Invader Bin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 39>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj-panoramix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Calculus Calculus wrote:

do you mean the 18" booster... becuase that cab is really too deep for me could almost fit two scoops in the space of that cab... fair enough for conversation sake, does have a similar look but still not what i'm looking for. and nine leaves cabs don't look that deep...
nope i mean this one:
http://photofile.ru/photo/amanosempai/135186807/138894491.jpg

600X1200X1200....2PI vs 0,5PI:

Edited by dj-panoramix - 03 March 2010 at 4:40pm
nineleaves View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 5:26pm
Design for my old bin will be up in a short while remodelling it right now & creating a fresh set of files :)

its smaller (30" deep 24" wide 45" high) & simpler in construction, than other ones which have been referred to here.

dj-panoramix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj-panoramix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by nineleaves nineleaves wrote:

Design for my old bin will be up in a short while remodelling it right now & creating a fresh set of files :)

its smaller (30" deep 24" wide 45" high) & simpler in construction, than other ones which have been referred to here.

Clap
thanks but can you pleaz post the HR parameter too when you post it ?
Calculus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calculus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by nineleaves nineleaves wrote:

honestly i can't wait to see them. Wink

Edited by Calculus - 03 March 2010 at 7:53pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 5:08am
Ive been feeling somewhat generous lately.. so heres a little pressie :)

Update:
Recommended driver for this cabinet is now the Fane 18xs, its an astonishingly good value for money, efficient 1200w driver :) - http://fane-international.com/prod_details.aspx?pid=335

Details for the bassbin:
Which shall now be known as the 18" Invader Bin..
For little other reason than the oddly familiar look of the horn entry (vader.. cough cough !).. and too many afternoons spent watching invader zim.

Range flat, is about 40hz upto a couple of hundred if you want to go that high, 600w power handling with an 18b600 driver from fane :) senstivity is quite respectable & functions quite well in non ideal loading  situations.

Can be used to its full potential in the 30hz region in stacks (this extends the low cutoff, loading & sesntivity), however a change to the fane 18-1000 driver is reccomended to allow for the rise in cone excursion (use a reduced 40 L rear chamber volume).

The design of this horn, allows you to experiment with the effects of changing the rear compliance volume. you can make it bigger and smaller than the 60'ish litre default (about 20-80l), allowing you to tune the sound a little to your preference, or for a change of driver. ultimately its probably in the sweet spot for this one; as too small will make it boom/honk & too large looses some of the bass response. effects of this are shown in the attached pdf.
if you try using another driver, it must have a very tough, relatively heavy cone (rigid & about 3mm thick min), and a reasonable xmax (7.2mm here); otherwise the cone will be ripped to shreads. ie an 18xb would probably trash itself.

the driver is loaded in a half moon configuration, was done originally as an experiment to see if it would cause problems. apparently not so; according to the level of testing i was doing at the time. it gives a pathlength advantage & seems to load the driver perfectly fine. but feel free to change to a central slot ..etc, if you insist.
all measurements & hornresp details where reverse engineered from one old bitmap i had sitting here. bins are in friends lockup & i couldnt be arsed to go all the way there with tapemeasure today. and the original files are burried somewhere else. so there maybe some minor discrepencys over details compared to the original design. but never the less, it should function and dimension pretty much the same.
pathlength in sims also includes some of the air which is still highly coupled to the cabinet; due to exit strategy.
also, although excursion creeps up at final cutoff, this isnt really much of an issue in reality, due to various factors (see plots of a labhorn) ..just apply a sensible high pass for best performance, think i had these on something between 30 & 38 at 12 db octave. ..cross at 90 or so for tops, but higher isnt a problem.

add handles, access hatches and wheels as you see fit.

Plot for one bin, in openspace (half), and in a corner, using multiple cabs has similar effect (1w/1m):

pdf for the driver:
http://sites.google.com/site/nineleaves/home/f/Fane_Colossus_18B600.pdf

haistily dimensioned plans:
http://sites.google.com/site/nineleaves/home/f/INVADER_18B600.pdf
(new with additonal dims)
http://sites.google.com/site/nineleaves/home/f/18B600_D3.PDF

UPDATE NOTES:
* Diffusion holes are 2"/50mm in size... done this way to allow tuning throat entry size + load the driver differently & potentially more evenly than other approaches.
* total horn start SD is aprox 490-530 cm2
* hresp model now as below:
(Plots for 1 18b600 loaded cab in 0.5 & 1.0 space on spl/1w/1m for curiousitys sake, excursion is at 600w.)

Edited by nineleaves - 21 October 2013 at 11:04am
Nitz V1505 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitz V1505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 5:19am
Clap  Thanks for sharing your design. We need more people like yourself on board who are willing to share. Some people dont wanna share info or point you in the right direction. 
LET THE BASS ROLL LIKE THUNDER
& THE TOPS LIKE LIGHTNING.....
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 9:45am
interesting layout on the folding.  assuming the chamber is set at its minimum, is there much unused space in the cab? 

here-here on the sharing! 
recently been seeing lots and lots of people showing a shady picture of a sub they say they dont want to give plans for due to a possible commercial venture they have plans on...  its speakerplans - a place to share information about plans, and build upon eachother's knowledge,.. Not to try and build a marketing strategy for DIY designs that are usually essentially a rehash of something already available on the commercial market, loaded with a component largely marketed at the DIY sector. 
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 11:37am
Clap very similar to CV, but will play better me thinks

mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 11:45am
Are you 100% about the horn length nineleaves?
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 2:07pm
Rich, as on details above, default volume is about 50L (if i could be arsed right now, i could back calculate that precisely to my original design intent.. but it doesnt matter too much). minimum possible is about 20, largest is about 80 L. deliberately left room for tuning.

mykey, as above ..path was roughly re-reverse engineered for horn resp, after misplacing files. the length & design intent accounts for the fact that the horn loading doesnt stop the instant it exits the perceived mouth; especially with a spiral this extreme. even if it is assumed to do so, and 30cm is knocked off (horn converted into segments to allow hacking taper up).. this is the plot which will result:

ill try and get these cabs out sometime (now belong to a friend) and stick the high resolution measuring kit i didnt have at the time on them to get some field measurements :)

Edited by nineleaves - 04 March 2010 at 2:10pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 2:31pm
Ok, my bad.. i just did a more precise re-calculation of that rear volume.. with the drivers 7.2 litre displacement accounted for; its nearer to 60 L ..more than i thought, but never the less, similar results. Adjust the chamber volume if you wish; design has been left to be a little tweakable :)
dj-panoramix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj-panoramix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 2:37pm
Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 39>