Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matamp Super-nova mixer.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Matamp Super-nova mixer.
    Posted: 02 October 2007 at 9:17am
 i have mentioned these before in other threads,after looking for 2 years i have managed to aquire a mint condition one....the Matamp super-nova...they date from the early 1980`s and cost a fortune new.....dont let the old-fashioned looks put you off...these are handbuilt English quality at its very best...this one has the optional plywood case,(most were just supplied as a chassis for club install)....these are rare now,and its still the best sounding DJ mixer i have heard.
photos....

By the way,i know of another that might be for sale soon,if anyone is interested.
Be seeing you.
Static Age View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2007 at 12:15pm
you best record a mix & put a link to download it in the mixes section then Ian.

it really does look mint by the way.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2007 at 2:27pm
Here`s a bit more info i found Dan...this is the Matamp brochure and price list dated 1988..it was £1350 without the case back then.....

Be seeing you.
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2007 at 5:11pm

are matamp the same company as orange (guitar amps)

LOUDER THAN LOUD
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2007 at 5:43pm
its not too dissimilar (probably same era) to an old Citronic mixer i removed from a flight case once.

the Citronic was in 3 peices as opposed to 2. it consisted of the main body of the mixer, cross fader on seperate 19" panel & another panel containing the EQ.

all the parts were connected via cables & the power came via the main part of the mixer.
opus jody View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2007 at 10:37pm
I had one of those Citronics - my first 'proppa' mixer!
Ian, the mains switch looks dangerously easy to knock 'off' by todays 'less disciplined' dj's!
Are the bass & treble filters at the top hi & lo pass filters?
and presumably the bass mid & trebbles are on the output stage?
and (more questions!) how does the group thing work on the right hand side?
The real thing looks ace in its very cool looking case.
Nice!

Edited by opus jody - 02 October 2007 at 10:38pm
Improvised Hardware Music http://vimeo.com/user9389813/videos
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2007 at 9:29am

Hi Jody..okie dokie,there is switchable low and hi pass filters,at 20hz,40hz and 60hz on the bass,and at the extreme hf at 12,16 and 24khz,useful to stop any vhf or rf.

I see your point about the one/off switch,but it would be an easy job to change that for another..u could even fit a key-operated switch in the same hole i would think.

There are 2 seperate stereo output groups,totally independent,allowing you to control two sound systems off the one mixer..ie,u could run your rig as system 1,with say James`rig at the back of the venue,as system 2,with full metering on both groups.Smile..i will post up the full technical spec in a moment.
This particular unit was serviced and checked over by Matamp last year...i have been speaking to some of the old school soul-weekender DJs,and they all reckon its the best mixer ever made...Matamp have been making valve amps and pro.electronics by hand in england since 1960`s.
Ian.

Edited by jbl_man - 03 October 2007 at 9:43am
Be seeing you.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2007 at 9:33am
full technical spec.....
Be seeing you.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2007 at 10:21am
Ian there is just one thing i cant make out, where is the headphone socket??
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2007 at 10:27am
Rear panel Dan...there is phono inputs for decks and line-in..and 2 sets of XLRs for the outputs groups.
Be seeing you.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2007 at 10:31am
that would explane why i couldnt see it in any of the pics.
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2007 at 11:16am
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

the Matamp super-nova...they date from the early 1980`s
Looks soild JBL & looks like it would suit permanent club installs. I see something lurking in the background that I recognise, hope I can borrow your picture! [/QUOTE]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>