Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hd15 - my versioin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2013 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Teunos Teunos wrote:

Which drivers may that be? perhaps the design can be fine tuned around these drivers to remove last rinkles etc.
Have gotten best results with drivers that have specs around
vas~200
qms~10
fs in mid thirties
Eighteensound 15lw1500 seems perfect for the job.

driver specs like this automatically suggest lowish BL, which also truly is the case, which means cone control will be lower and driver excursion higher for input signal. So if driver with above spec is chosen, it must have proper (true (Hvc-Hg)/2) Xmax of around 6-7mm. Not that hard but just a thing to keep in mind.

Also, have gotten even better results with 90% of simmed drivers by slightly decreasing rear chamber volume. This can be done by angling the baffle slightly less steep, around 27 degrees and increasing the angle of the first horn panel thus increasing S3 and the overall efficiency without completely retuning cab

Have taken a quick look at displacement of driver and HPF settings. This is directly dictated by the length of the horn and not necessarily the chamber volumes. Unfortunately filter wizard is not available when simming horns, but Lower cutoff seems to be at a max Low point of around 75Hz.

Clap

EDIT: Seems lengthening horn might compromise output above 180hz ?

Edited by levyte357- - 31 July 2013 at 6:16pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2013 at 6:15pm
If we increase depth of cab to 700mm, altering panels that dictate chamber size/throat also, thereby extending horn length, by approx 50mm, would addition in horn length be quantifiable ?
yes.

Is it worth widening cab to the 478mm of HD15, to ensure chassis clearance for all 15" drivers?

let the best volume for the rear and front chamber dictate the width of the box.

Also thinking driver loading hatch should be large enough to allow easy access to each bolt for driver mounting.

as long as the driver fits through the access panel it big enough. don't worry too much about ease of loading, once loaded the drivers will only come out if you blow them

The other thing is its ok modding a design but you still need to no how this design works..... a clue into how, is the correlation between the front and rear chamber.....Wink

Edited by bee - 31 July 2013 at 6:17pm
https://www.elements-audio.com
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2013 at 6:23pm
why are you worried about the output above 180hz, it wont play much higher with out honking..... its a trait of the bhp design. you will get a 12" bhp up past 250hz with out honking...
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2013 at 6:24pm
Sorry, edited my post, while you were writing yours.

Would be interesting comparing the graph/input data/driver you used, when you stated  output was peaky, as the sim I did with Fane Sov Pro 15-500, and couple of other drivers, didn't have huge dip at 125hz.

There's plenty of 18" BPH out there, that will do massive 50-60hz, but that's not what I'm after. As it's stretch getting anything above 150hz out of them.

I'll settle for 15" BPH cab, that'll do strong 180hz, even if shorter horn dictates HPF=75hz@24db rolloff, to withstand 500W.

Edited by levyte357- - 31 July 2013 at 6:29pm
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2013 at 6:36pm
ok im going to be nice to you, and offer a big bit of help, run your sim but sim a stack of 6, you will see that the plot cuts off on your design at around 175hz, this will be were your box in single will start to sound honky. This info was found out by me after simming over 20 bhp designs and comparing rta plots to the hr sim.... the cabs I tested were a mixture of 18" 15" and 2 21" designs.

What your wanting is what knet (ken) wanted, I spent 2 years looking at every aspect of the bhp design to get it perfect for kens needs. so it can be done.... The bhp's I built for Boots hi-fi were a very slight modification to kens, which give a bit more spl in the 125hz region, but don't play as low 5hz less and don't play as high 5hz less.....

Edited by bee - 31 July 2013 at 6:43pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2013 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by bee bee wrote:

ok im going to be nice to you, and offer a big bit of help, run your sim but sim a stack of 6, you will see that the plot cuts off on your design at around 175hz, this will be were your box in single will start to sound honky. This info was found out by me after simming over 20 bhp designs and comparing rta plots to the hr sim.... the cabs I tested were a mixture of 18" 15" and 2 21" designs.

What your wanting is what knet (ken) wanted, I then spent 2 years looking at every aspect of the bhp design. so it can be done....

Very gracious of you sir. Clap

Which driver did you sim with, as I need to reproduce your findings, before trying other drivers.
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2013 at 6:46pm

driver choice makes no difference to were the honky ness starts, its a negative in the bhp design.....

run the sim and it will say 175hz 180hz max.... im 100% sure with out even re simming it....
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2013 at 7:06pm
Conclusion, usable range for the cab as it stands without modifications is 75-180 Max bandwidth. Is this satisfactory? Will try the sim with the Fane Lev.
500W won't be a problem with either the RCF i started with or the B&C which was my best candidate. I try them with 1000W and see what excursion does. Due to load on the cone of the horn it stays under 6-7mm with most woofers.

Edited by Teunos - 31 July 2013 at 7:08pm
Best regards,
Teun.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2013 at 7:19pm

driver choice makes no difference to were the honky ness starts, its a negative in the bhp design.....

run the sim and it will say 175hz 180hz max.... im 100% sure with out even re simming it....

Ignoring HR warnings about inaccuracy, plot for Fane Sov Pro 15-500,
Assumming 4PI plot, before selecting Multiple speakers ?

One of the experts can explain which plot is relevant to Bee's instruction.

EDIT:Plots obtained with Linux MiNT 15 x64, running hornresp on Win 7 x32 in Virtual Box VM.. Embarrassed

Edited by levyte357- - 31 July 2013 at 7:35pm
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2013 at 8:42pm
Your second plott would be the more true to life plott and real life operating band.
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2013 at 8:45pm
So of you now take the high cut off point and use this as a cut off point for a single, that will give you a more true to life plott
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2013 at 9:38pm

So of you now take the high cut off point and use this as a cut off point for a single, that will give you a more true to life plott

Nice one point, mate.. Clap

Will also try LPF=200, seeing as according to sim, should be @ approx only -1.5db off,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>