Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MDF vs PLY (Acoustic properties)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mashed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MDF vs PLY (Acoustic properties)
    Posted: 10 October 2007 at 10:54am
Quick question.. Without taking into account the weight, price & vulnerability to damage (hits / humidity etc) would MDF be preferred rather than ply for a speaker cabinet?
I've heard different things from different people, & just want to know for sure for the next stack
Thanks
login4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote login4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2007 at 11:15am

in theory MDF/HDF would be better because its more dense than ply, but it all depends what you want it for...

CELTIC SUBSONIC SOUND SYSTEMS
TMAL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2007 at 11:36am
Almost all high end audiophile speakers and studio monitors are made out of mdf/hdf!

It is because it has a completely even amalgamation of partials (no grain)! so sound transmission and resonant frequency will be far more even throughout the board. 

In ply sound will travel with the grain and when traveling along this it will encounter different densities e.g a knot. Different densities will cause different resonant frequencies!    
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2007 at 11:38am

Simple, inside MDF outside PLY

You would never hear of HIFI cabinets being made of ply.

mashed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mashed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2007 at 11:54am
Thanks everyone!

Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2007 at 3:50pm
The BBC did at technical report back in the early 1970s on the pros and cons of chipboard v ply. They concluded ply was the best option because it was available in a greater number of thicknesses. Sonically they didn't find that much difference. The disadvantage of ply is that it also comes in a bigger range of qualities. The bad stuff is worse than chipboard or mdf and the expensive stuff is..... well.... expensive. Contrary to popular belief baltic birch is not the best quality ply by far. Look for Lloyd's certified ply for that. Anyone that uses such ply for loudspeakers (unless it is a custom build for your private yacht) has more money than sense and don't even think about anything but varnish as a finish. An 8 x 4 sheet of 18mm BS1088 Rotary Sapele mahogany faced board is about £180 + VAT. Given this summers weather it might be worth it if you live on a flood plain. It is guaranteed for 25 years.

For PA applications I would go with ply but the particleboard route won't be that disastrous. I am sceptical of the stories of cabinets falling if used in rain. Unless they are stored long term in wet conditions the paint should prevent too much moisture absorption and why don't the paper cones fall to bits too. Didn't one of the old Malcolm Hill PAs have problems with soggy cones many years ago at a monsters of rock festival? I've still got speakers and cases made from chipboard that after several years of use are showing no more signs of wear than the ply cabinets of a similar age.

Mykey's suggestion of ply faced mdf works well but is something I have given up on because of the hassle. It is also possible to use different materials for different panels in the cabinet. If no edges are exposed the surface of particleboard is quite resiliant.

On a slightly different note, has anyone used Wickes structural ply. It is about £22 per sheet and advertised as exterior grade. When I looked at it, it was stamped as class 1 which is for dry conditions, but a scrap that I was able to test didn't de-laminate after spending two weeks in water.

markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2007 at 5:13pm
I had used MDF for many years, only to be seduced by the dark side (ply) when I first came upon the forum. I found my bass cabs sounded "boxy" so for a while I went to 12mm ply on the outside with a 9mm MDF lining. The ply for its roadworthy qualities and the MDF to deaden the box....... which worked well but was a pain in the butt. I'm back on MDF these days.

I think the old and respected firm of TANNOY give the definitive answer, I series (installation) MDF......... V series ( V8, V12 does imply road doesn't it?) PLY. Of course Tannoy build boxes which are gonna be humped about by Conan the Roadie, but if you are doing your own humping, don't mind a bit of extra weight and are prepared to take a little extra care it's MDF every time.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2007 at 5:25pm
Wehay! MDF lovers unite!

Most of my Rig is MDF... no problems with so far with water / damage / paint... just damn heavy (but not that much heavier than ply I'm sure).
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2007 at 6:02pm
We use 25mm MDF with some parts doubled up for our Hi Fi. We also make the bottoms 75mm thick. The heavier the better. They get 10 coats of paint so moisture will never be an issue.
rich, ind.st View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich, ind.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2007 at 6:15pm
one of the old wicked ones was unpainted mdf and was used outside directly on the floor many times, usually involving dew in the morning, dog pissing on it and beer being spilt onto it.  it had started to get a little fuzzy around the edges but was structurally fine... plus its not that much heavier and does sound better, if painted with comething decent i cant see it being a problem unless the cvab is going to be used for touring all the time...
music is god
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2007 at 6:26pm
Forgetting the weight issue, the only one for me, is that if it is mdf and you drop it off the tail lift and it hits a corner it could be game over. Our ply cabs have been dropped from a great height with no ill effect, but I wouldn't be so confident with an MDF box in the same circumstances.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2007 at 7:44pm
This question of dropped cabs isn't entirely as clear cut as you might think. The last pair of ply cabs I made were fane 12" dual concentric monitors. I sold them on e-bay and despite loads of packing they didn't arrive safely. Conan the DHL driver had obviously decided to test the cabinet strength........ the cabs passed Conans test but unfortunately the one that he dropped face up the magnet parted company with the rest of the driver.

If a cab is going to get dropped from a serious height something has to give. If it's not the cab it will be the driver. Personally I would sooner spend a few hours repairing/making a cab than shell out for a new driver.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>