Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > MT122
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MT122’s in a Line-Array

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattcarus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MT122’s in a Line-Array
    Posted: 12 January 2005 at 12:52am

I'm kinda jumping ahead of myself a bit here as I haven't even finished building a flightcase that I started last Easter, let alone built a couple of speakers, but I had a thought: would it be possible to build a line array system based around the mt122s for mid/tops (say 6 per side, all horizontal). This would give about 3.6kW mid/top per side  so you would need some fairly hefty subs to go with them.

My question is: would the fact that the two drivers in each cab mean that it is a horizontal array as well as being a vertical one, i.e. both the horizontal and vertical dispersions are limited. And if this is the case, would it be a problem?

Thanks in advance, Matt

Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2005 at 6:40am
Line-array basically implys iso-planar waveguides and is not what the MT122 is about. Think about old-fashioned horn rigs (Turbo and what not) with a dispersion of round 40degrees or even less stacked next to and above one-another.
Jim York View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim York Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2005 at 5:58pm
That box could go in a line array if rotated 90 degrees, but is less than ideal as the distance between the HF horn mouths would be too long for them to properly integrate. You' have to alter the design so that the entire front of the box was filled with horn mouth, probably by using a number of horns with the requisite dimensions. You can see examples of how to acomplish that in the DR series of line-arrayable midbass/HF horns at www.billfitzmaurice.com.  
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2005 at 8:39am
Does the link refer to a bunch of piezos producing an iso-planar wavefront? I think Line-array (in the true non-marketing sense) and DIY have little to seek in the same sentence, as in large-scale touing where such devices are employed other issues far outweigh the issues of initial capital outlay and DIYers have to daw a line as to how far their knowhow has application.

just my 2c
owentec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote owentec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2005 at 1:00pm

The gap between drivers means the design would stop working as a line array above 300Hz or so (depending on who you believe). On the plus side, 6 in an array gives a decent line length (3.5 meters or so). You need more narrower boxes to stand a chance.

That's aside from more practical considerations such as making the box flyable, flyware that gives you precision control over box angles, developing algorithms to predict array performance in a given configuration, etc. No, you can't just throw line array boxes up and guess what angles to put them, they have a tendancy to sound horrendous when you do that!

mattcarus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattcarus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2005 at 4:28am

Thanks guys, I would say that I appreciate the detail that you've gone into, but to be honest, most of it went straight over my head :(

If anyone has any photos of the front of an mt122 with the hf driver in they would be useful, having trouble trying to visualize it and from what I can gather from owentec, that's where the main problem will lie.

As for the flying problems, I wouldn't fly it anyway (I don't trust my woodworking skills that much) but it would be ground stacked instead.

For calculating the angles, er, hadn't thought of that.

I'm crewing a gig on Thursday and apparently we're using 40kW of Logic line array  so I'll have a mooch about and take lots of photos!

Matt

Post Reply Post Reply