Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Design of 2x18 Front Loaded Horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2007 at 9:28am

yea.. would be like having say and 1850 and a CV bin (extreme example) sat next to each other covering the same frequency range.. not gunna be good.

Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2007 at 11:55am
yes each drivers sees a different horn and will have a different responce, and be out of phase and time with each over. also blah bla blah
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2007 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

Yes Mykey, see that quite clearly.

Trying to avoid Lab method of mounting drivers vertically at center of spiral horn, as this would complicate build considerably.

Simplest solution to the above, would be to have drivers side by side; but that would result in cab  36" wide, similiar to tuba.

Would it be possible to arrange the 2x drivers in  separate identically sized chambers, but firing into a common chamber at the start of the horn?

Edited by levyte357 - 01 November 2007 at 12:45pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
jsg mashed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsg mashed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2007 at 12:47pm
Just apply delay to the driver with the red arrow, enough to compensate the path difference vs. the blue arrow. Maybe also use a lower low-pass freq on the red driver (eg red up to 100Hz, blue up to 180Hz)
...because Good is Dumb.
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2007 at 1:03pm
yeah you are effectivelyusing two different horns, the phase issues would be horrific id imagine, it wont just be delay issues, group ddelay would go awol id imagine?????
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2007 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by jsg mashed jsg mashed wrote:

Just apply delay to the driver with the red arrow, enough to compensate the path difference vs. the blue arrow. Maybe also use a lower low-pass freq on the red driver (eg red up to 100Hz, blue up to 180Hz)

How about compromising layout/cab by arranging drivers as below, (Looking at cab from above speakers). Also Adjusting horn length to ensure "lead" driver sees 7.5 ft horn?

Thinking this would reduce path Difference seen by both drivers to approx 9" instead of 18"?

Edited by levyte357 - 01 November 2007 at 1:39pm
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2007 at 1:38pm
Your gonna have to abandon that idea Lev, I'll PM some sketchs to you that you can have a play around with

JSGStern%20Smile, who are you really?
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2007 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

Your gonna have to abandon that idea Lev, I'll PM some sketchs to you that you can have a play around with

Mykey cheers for input and PM's...

But, World already has 2x12 labhorn, short horn 2x18 FK1's/turbo's, long horn 1x18 cabs .
(WSX/Quake), short horn 1x18 (186/1850 horns).

So it will be 2x18, on approx 7.5ft hornEmbarrassed.

Edited by levyte357 - 01 November 2007 at 2:41pm
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2007 at 2:47pm

Ok I'll put up the '2' sketch's I did then, that are none of the aboveConfused

these are only rough guy's so don't take the mick, I know you guys are thinking...tit's

Edited by mykey - 01 November 2007 at 2:50pm
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2007 at 2:49pm

slightly adjustedversion of the original mistake

Edited by mykey - 01 November 2007 at 2:51pm
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2007 at 6:02pm
As the drivers are relatively small compared to the frequencies the reproduces would they not act as a single driver?

Wkr Johan
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2007 at 6:13pm
Lev.. take a look at Centauri s website : http://www.centauriaudio.com.au/diy/hornfold.html

Brilliant Stuff! and a real help in designing folded horns.

If I was trying to do what your trying to do.. I would use the info in the above page with hornresponse  and autocad to get the box I wanted.

Do something new and different.. not a re-hashed double box of a known commercial design.

You could make something really unique with a bit of work!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>