Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

big w bin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: big w bin
    Posted: 15 January 2005 at 2:17pm
How does a 10hz 700x350x100 W-bin grab u? I'm gonna start building a crazy horn to cover 25-45hz. It's located beneath a stage & will be constructed from masonry. Basically it'll be shaped like an enormous w-bin, with the two exits coincident with the speaker stacks either side of the stage.
What i'd like to hear are peoples thoughts on whether it's worth building it with a monster 9m expo (only for shear awesomeness) or whether to restrict the expo to the shortest possible length to help transient response? The design i'm looking at is a dual driver and with a 9m config should be 105+-0.5dB 1w 20hz up, according to hornresp..

cheers,
Rob.

Edited by roborg
What I cannot create, I do not understand
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2005 at 9:55pm

Don`t know if you`ve seen this before !

http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm#HORN%20SUBWOOFERS%20MA DE%20IN%20BRICKS

they reckon they`re getting 110db / watt / metre down to 10hz!

.p.

Edited by phildekked
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
freddyi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2005 at 10:48pm
kool - only 865cu.ft. of brick + mortar (plus some air space to keep it light)

I'd want it "snappy" but part of that depends on whats on top

GB's old "portable" horn http://www.modernsolutions.com/artichoke/bman99_p4.html

Edited by freddyi
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2005 at 12:11pm

When we summon the Artichoke what do we get?

A herd? A pod? A flock? I mean what should we expect?

Enquiring minds want to know!

djk
freddyi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2005 at 12:31pm
HI DJK - -mysterious - seems to be a cryptic Latin phrase associated with the chokes...

bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2005 at 5:14pm
"Inna gadda da vita" is a song by "Iron Butterfly" (SOme old psychedelic Hippie stuff from da 70ties with some approx. 10 minute long guitar solos on it )

edit: great nonsense on that page!! Damn Hippies!

Edited by bob4
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2005 at 7:03pm
9m is not very sensible if you considder the mechanical losses. Much more sentible would be a shorter construction for more drivers (as I doubt anything much to reach down below 25/30 in any live music material) and the content down that low is unlikely to have as high a level.
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2005 at 5:01pm
lets see if this post stays here
Here's the beginning of the 'ravehorn' as i've called it, 5.5m geometrical path, 6m2 mouth. Throat/driver choice not finalised yet, but prolly dual 18" 2-3.5:1, 150-250L rear chamber. It's bascially just an ugly great W bin, to compliment it there will be two 1850 style cabs above each mouth, my phase-plugged mt102's, 1" compression drivers & two supertweeter arrays suspended from the roof. I wanted to add some serious kick horns, but they must wait for more $$'s

The throat end of the expo

mouth at one side

view from where the DJ booth will be
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2005 at 5:09pm
Looking promising. I take it this old building has a solid roof? I take it the Oversound SUB800s going into this? Hmmmm, looks like a lot of fun. The higher compression ratio isn't really necessary, especially as you're likely going for a sub 80Hz cross, right?

Keep us posted on your progress. Any more info on how this came about?
Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2005 at 4:05am

Attracting clients already!

minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2005 at 7:41am

haha brilliant!!

you are crazy!

but it looks like a lotta fun, hehe

so how you gonna stop the badgers and other wild things crawling down them, or does it double up as a "rave maze"?

roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2005 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Timber_MG Timber_MG wrote:

Looking promising. I take it this old building has a solid roof? I take
it the Oversound SUB800s going into this? Hmmmm, looks like a lot of
fun. The higher compression ratio isn't really necessary, especially as
you're likely going for a sub 80Hz cross, right?

Keep us posted on your progress. Any more info on how this came about?

The building has just had the roof repaired from some water damage , It's all wood laminate now, so should hold up to the battering it'll recieve!
I got the subs that would go in cranked up in the building a couple of weeks back, before the roof had been cleaned or repaired & it rained dust, i had to cover the rack & mixer for fear of losing it under all the paint chippings & rotten wood pieces falling around
The sub-800's are the No.1 choice ATM, i was actually thinking of crossing at around 60hz 48db, so pick up where the 1850's start falling off. The final choice will depend on what sounds right once everythings installed. I've not yet got drivers & an amp for the big horn (also will need two 6-out speaker management units rather than one) so chances are it'll probably not be working until after the club opens (cash is v-tight & alot of savings have still to be made
The project is a nightclub i'm setting up, technically i co-own the venture so i'll even do a bit of DJ'ing once it's open Hopefully get everything finished for april... free-invites for speakerplans followers!

cheers,
Rob
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>