Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1850 vs lab horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by rezsbc rezsbc wrote:

methinks they may be kicking themselves they didn't wait a bit and upgrade to the Stasys X

I dunno, having heard both of them I have to say I really, really like the Psyko sub sound. Although you have extra lifting you also have a stack of good height.
rezsbc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rezsbc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 4:52pm
ok... guilty admission I haven't heard *either* of them, instead was going off the stasys x hype... assuming it was next generation kind of thing.
rupture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rupture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 8:18am
Originally posted by adambomb adambomb wrote:

1850s are NOT what you want to work with HD15s.

Would you care to explain why?

I think I prefer the sound of the 1850 when used in combination with a kick bin, as it allows you to cross the 1850s lower (around the 120Hz-ish region) and prevent the honk that you can get at higher frequencies.
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 5:38pm
Cos the 1850s only have length to support a 50Hz cutoff, so in other words its a bit of waste when the HDs go down to 80Hz, you would be better off with a cab with a longer horn like a Lab or Tuba 36 which go down fully to 30Hz

Stu
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2007 at 11:31am
Thanks Stu... that's exactly my reasoning...

If you don't like the honk of the 1850s at high freqs... change you mid tops to something that can play low enough to work with 1850s properly.

I'm not saying that it won't work, or shouldn't be done (for example linkups etc).. but if your planning / building a system that's not the way to do it.. HD15s with dedicated subs (Labs, X1s, etc) or a hoofing great pile of 1850s... either or.

Crossing over to HD15s at 120hz is a bit odd as the highest you would want to go with the HDs is about 140 - 160 (I use 143)... so a bit of a waste really.

Edited by adambomb - 19 December 2007 at 11:32am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12