Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A PEAVEY! in a 186

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A PEAVEY! in a 186
    Posted: 12 November 2007 at 6:11am
Has anybody seen the specs on the peavey lowrider 18". It is a rather inexpensive driver that seems to match up well for the 186.

PD186                                      Peavey Lowrider

fs.....27                                            fs.....28.9
      xmax.....9 mm                                  xmax.....9.6 mm
           bl.....22.94                                       bl.....22.73
          no.....2.05%                                     no.....2.65%
        qms.....7.75                                      qms.....8.77
         vas.....353                                        vas.....403.9

and the peavey has a 97.3 spl

I never thought I would look to peavey for a U.S. available driver for the 186 but this looks pretty good. Looks really good at $175!

Any opinions? I can't believe I'm looking at a peavey!Embarrassed
You say it's too loud-I say your hearing is too good
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2007 at 10:43am
hmmm what about the parameters that are important, qts qes qms. also the vas is well out
as is the qms, also over here the lowrider is about the same price as the 186 so,,,,,,,
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
bmf2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2007 at 4:43pm
The peavey qes is .356 pd's is .326. qts are .342/.312  I agree the vas is way out but this still looks better than the omega pro which is the bottom of the 186/1850 suggested drivers. The problem with using the pd186 for me is availability. I can't get them here for less than $300. I would use it without question if I could get it at a comparable price. I'm no fan of peavey but it looked like a decent substitute. Although it only saves me about $50 in comparison to an 18sound LW1400. Peavey is using the lowrider in their new front loaded horn but I havn't heard them (they where supposed to be out in september) so it's hard to say if it "works".
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2007 at 6:25pm
id go with the 18 sound more proven driver , and at that price difference.......... a lot more secure lol.
bmf2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2007 at 8:31pm
Actualy it is $75 more for the 18 sound but I would still have to agree with you. I can always test a cheaper driver in the cabinet once I know what the proven one sounds like.

But I must still be ever vigilant in seeking that most elusive horn driver for under $200Big%20smile
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2007 at 8:39pm
p auidio challenger maybey? some one on here was using the c18 600 ithink in a stack of 186 horns and was impressed iirc
bmf2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2007 at 12:33am
Looked into the p audio c18 650 & 600. Both are about the same price($170). Wouldn't the low xmax be of concern? I was of the understanding that when loaded in a horn the driver acts as a piston so wouldn't a larger xmax perform better? It still looks like a much better speaker than the omega at a better price to. I can build anything but when it comes to the driver THE MORE I LEARN THE LESS I KNOW!Confused
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2007 at 12:37am
im looking into the 650 and 600 myself, xmax is a concern of mine too, but ebp and bl actualy just meet the requirements on the 1850 plans, maybey with a rear chamber tuned to the driver the c18 600 might be a good choice, not too sure either, id luv to know.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2007 at 12:38am
can you use horn respose??? if so id run some sims.... someone on here posted inputs not long back.
bmf2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2007 at 1:04am
I have the program but not a clue how to use it. May try playing around with it again to try and figure it out. I'm looking to build 6-8 cabs so finding a well working driver at even a savings of $50 or so becomes worth the homework. The price I got on the 18sound is questionable. Have a look at "studio34music". I don't remember the exact link. They have two different listings for the exact same speaker. One lists it at $358 the other for $249. I have a couple other leads on some drivers I will list some specs shortly.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2007 at 10:57am
if you are looking at 18sound 18lw1400 looks like a mighty fine sub driver.
bmf2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2007 at 4:37pm
That's the one. I've heard good things about this driver. Tried to call the number on studio34 website to verify the price but coulndn't get through. They are a little more than I want to spend at the $249 price but if they sound as good as I've heard and outlast a cheaper driver it's probably worth it. I am wanting to build a new system that I can expand and reduce depending on the show. I only do live sound and might be in a small bar one week and outdoors in front of a couple thousand the next week. Right now I have to change everything in my setup to go back and forth and I want to simplify. I just want to spend my money wisely and get the most out of what I build for both situations.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>