Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A PEAVEY! in a 186

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2007 at 7:02pm
hmmm in that case a long folded horn prolly isnt what you are after, tbh. you need four in a pile to realy get them working properly.
$250 us? is that £130 in sterling? if so thats cheaper than the p-audios are here lol.
can you get the void v-18 1000 in the us??? if so get four of them [or more hahahaha] and stick em in 1850 horns, for smaller gigs use a couple of g-subs,
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
bmf2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2007 at 7:38pm
I've been using vega's on the bottom end and had considered just building more to go outside. Even in the small clubs people are usualy about 12 to 15 feet back from them so its been working out ok. When I do have people in real close I have a set of the old peavey 1801 vented cabs that have been reloaded with 1808. I'm just not a big fan of the sound I get out of them. I do have the plans to the sl36 vega so it wouldn't be that difficult to build more.
I still can't get that price verified on the 18sound. The call keeps going to voice mail. The p-audios run about $170 US here I think it was. I don't think the voids are available, at least I can't find them if they are.
Whats your opinion on just adding more sl36?

You say it's too loud-I say your hearing is too good
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2007 at 7:56pm
ahhhh your already a horn user.
id say get rid of the vegas the 186 are a lot more modern lol..........
in that case the 186 might be what your after then.
errrrrr....... keep looking for horn drivers then, what makes can you get wher you are excluding eminence.............
bmf2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2007 at 8:51pm
There are quite a few drivers available including

18 sound
p audio
b&c
beyma
selenium
fane
jbl
ev
b52
rcf

Some of them however are very cost prohibitive for a weekender like me

I realize the 186 is a better cabinet than the vega. The vegas are powerful but not very defined. Thats one of the reasons I started looking at the 186. As long as they can get down to 40hz I would be fine givin that live music doesn't use all that much below there anyway.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2007 at 8:55pm
stack of four will do 40hz, so youd have to put all four together unless you wanna use 8,
but they will do 40<120hz well maybey even heigher for some music.
b&c if you can afford it or 18sound will be great. take it the pd are just too much then?
bmf2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2007 at 9:38pm
Can't get pd without huge shipping fees. Cry

Emailed a request for an explanation on the multible pricing for the 18 sounds. hope it comes bake at $249 but not holding my breath.

How deep will the 186 do in pairs? The vegas are dropping off hard at 50hz with 2 a side. Could I expect the same with the 186 but with a more even response across the range?

Thanks for all the input by the way. Smile

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2007 at 10:07pm
er im guessing that 2 will drop off the same way the vegas do, at the end of the day you need the mouth area to hit a certain frequency with a fully horn loaded box, so whether you use vegas or 186 if the mouth isnt big enough it aint big enough, more length on the horn would improve low end, but unless the vega has a vastly longer horn length or is a vastly smaller box than the 186 then im guessing similar probs will ocour. if i were you id stick them in one pile of four and put the mid tops on poles or something...
bmf2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2007 at 12:08pm
Wouldn't you know it. I ask about the multiple price listing on 18 sound speaker and the next day studio34musics web sight no longer works. And they still don't answer the phone.Angry

They still exist on ebay but don't have any drivers listed.

I've bought a lot af stuff from these guys I hope they didn't close up shop.
DJ Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2007 at 4:51am
Hi Guys,

Just a quick bit of advice..
Ive used the P.Audio Challenger 600LFs in a 186, and my experience was that the xmax was not the problem... it was clean, but refused to put out anything under 70Hz without heavy EQ.. but it had an awsome kick..I then swapped them with RCFs and the difference was another octave lower.. big difference... so bear in mind the challenger will sound ok, but for a 186 bin i wouldnt use it. You shouldnt really have to use subs with 186s.
 Conclusion i would stick with the recommended drivers,, ive been down that track and now i have 4 spare c600's.
 To me the specs seem to indicate the c600LF would be more suitable for a scoop.. or possibly a 186 with a smaller chamber/ something in between 1850/186 but thats just guessing.
It's the thought that counts
sukebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2008 at 4:18pm
did anyone try a peavey lowrider in the 186??

if so, how did uit sound?
richard stringer View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richard stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2008 at 10:22pm
Are Peavey Low Rider drivers ok? I mean their older Balck Widow drivers were ok but nothing special. They were kicky, like you could hear the kick drum slam but not feel it too much.
sukebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2008 at 9:30pm
i think they're alright in reflex cabs. fairly good value anyway. But i heard they wouldnt be suitable for horns or scoops. So am quite interested to find out how they perform in a 186.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>