Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Decisions decisions. Horn or reflex???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decisions decisions. Horn or reflex???
    Posted: 15 November 2007 at 2:22am
Ok, here's the situation.  I need to build some more bass bins for my system since things keep changing round, stuff gets stuck in installs etc etc.

I have 4x 18Sound 18LW1400 drivers.  My options are: Build two double 18" reflex boxes the same as I've designed for some other people recently.  All reports are they sound very good.

Or:  I've almost finished a design for a WSX style horn essentially the same size as the reflex boxes, optimised for the same driver.

Simulations say:  In singles, the reflex will be more efficient below about 70Hz, no surprise there.  Above that, the horn has it.  Crossover point in use will be 120-160Hz.

Once I get two or more horns per side the difference in low end becomes less significant.

Other issues:  The reflexes are easier to build and will be compatible with another local system.  Cons are needing more amps to run more than a pair.

With the horns I have enough drivers to build four and I could run up to six off one amp.  But the build is more complex and they might not be so good just one per side.

So.... what would you do?

System usage is mainly for live bands and other general PA useage, party DJ's etc.

Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2007 at 2:25am
no bandpass option?

Unhappy
Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2007 at 2:35am
Bandpass up to 120Hz???

I had considered sticking a pair of the drivers in some X1 style cabs and probably will at some point but they wouldn't be right for the system as-is.  Tops are twin 12" reflex + 1.4" and like to work from about 120Hz upwards.  My plan for ages was to use a 15" horn kick section and 18" bandpass but it's just not practical for the jobs I do at the moment and I still haven't got the designs right.  So I decided to shift to a compromise single bass section for the time being.

Just looking at the simulations again there is some discrepancy between Hornresp and WinISD for the reflex box.  I seem to remember this coming up before.  It's about 3dB difference!  If Hornresp is right then the above statements are true, however if WinISD is right (and it does look more sensible) then the horn is looking more promising.

Calitri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calitri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2007 at 5:49am
If you do any gigs indoor, people relatively close to speakers, I'd go for the double 18" design. It's just the easiest to build and most practical solution for there kinds of situations. Especially thinking about your mid/tops, they're more in the same line. A setup with 2 2x12"+1.4" tops with 3 2x18" under would be the most powerful setup considering the size.

There was that discussion about why 2x18" reflex bins are so popular even today compared to horns and the answer is that they are the most practical ones. It's a rare occasion where you need to take every bin with you where the horns would be a better solution. And sound wise it's the most all-around, apply to all music cabinet.

ceharden: Check that you didn't model the 2x18" into 2.83 V, as WinISD models the power output wattage wise but Hornresp voltage wise. I've also modeled reflex bins in Hornresp and I've got always differences of less than 3 dBs.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2007 at 8:59am
Cheers. I think you've just come up with the answer regarding the simulation differences.  Will have to alter one of them so that they are both modelling the same voltage/power.  The two programs still give different response shapes though.  Hornresp seems to think you get a lot more output from the port than WinISD.

I know the double 18" reflex is the most sensible and if it was anyone else asking for the same advice that's what I would tell them....

But I have this terrible habit of wanting to do something different.  I think I'll probably end up building a pair of the horns, won't cost me too much. At least then I can try them against the reflex and see which I prefer.  I really want the transient response you just can't get from a reflex.

mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2007 at 5:11pm
I also own the 18LW1400 and from most of the horns I build for them up to now, I don't like the sound of a single on it's own. The horns go stupid loud compared to the reflex but the ones that are 6 dB up above 70 Hz compared to 40 Hz seem to miss that "grund". Probably because the lower grund is just overpowered by lots of mid/kick bass.

The only horn that seems to do it on it's own in smaller then 300 ltr enclosures is the tapped/ hybride. The hybride also sounds as if it goes lower than it does. Still, if hornloaded I would prefer multiple units.

Up to now I would advise a double 18" reflex, but that's gonna change.

Wkr Johan

Edited by mobiele eenheid - 15 November 2007 at 5:12pm
gazman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2007 at 12:37am
I built a pair of wsx style horns which were used just single a side and found they coped quite well with a minor eq boost at the low end (about +4db). I would say if the horn you've designed is similar width wise then 120hz is about the highest you would want to drive them due to the parallel walls causing the horn to boom a little higher than this. Must say though  I absolutely preferred the sound over reflex, really clean sound that sounds effortless even at high power. Since you're using dual 12" reflex for tops they'd probably be well matched too, ie the tops shouldn't run away from the subs output wise. What low cutoff did you design your horns for? Mine were solid  to 40hz which I found was plenty adequate for most types of music.
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2007 at 1:19am
by wsx styl what do you mean... do you mean you modded the wsx to suit your own needs? designed a whole cab that turned out to be similar to the wsx? or is there a wsx style plan about im unaware of? do they perform well down real low in large stacks is what some people will ask!
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2007 at 2:29am
Mark, I guess it's a mixture of the above.  I looked at various ways of folding a horn into a sensible size/shaped cab and the WSX seemed to me the best way of doing it.  So, it's ended up very similar indeed but I will be doing things like the throat slightly differently, it'll be slightly different external dimensions etc.

I didn't set out to copy the WSX as such.....

And yes, with three per side the response flattens out very nicely.  40Hz easily, probably useable to 35Hz.

Re parallel walls.  I don't know if it'll work but I'm hoping to use the bracing to break up standing waves between the parallel walls so there aren't too many sections with the same dimensions.

I think the only way to settle this is just to try them.....  Now to find time to do the woodwork.

Thanks for reporting your own experiences guys.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2007 at 12:09pm
you know a horn makes sense, could you not make both? say a pair of something in the order of 2x18 reflex. and some horns, just swap drivers for the right aplications..... a bit more of a headach but maybey alot more flexible???
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2007 at 12:14pm
Swap drivers? Ick. Go with the horns I say if you don't mind the extra work. 18" reflexes are very boring in Southampton these days, they're everywhere!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2007 at 1:43pm
well 18" reflex are always goiing to be known as boring when your comparing them to a horn sub. but thats the point realy, boring but very practical. the problem i have with them is "ive spent alot of money on some hardcore drivers" and then become my dad by putting them in a sensible but useable cabinet that will get the job done, rather than getting something alot less practical or sane but having that "wow," or should i say"wtf" factor.
which is why i sugested building both boxes and swapping about.....
you will have a lot more fun with the horn though!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>