Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Guide to WinISD Pro and Hornresp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 10:27pm
so why does my input screen have Ang, Eg, RG, CIR at the top and not as the pic below.... vel & den

the above abriviations are not mentioned in the help you just gave... help!

Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 4:41pm
Quote so why does my input screen have Ang, Eg, RG, CIR at the top and not as the pic below.... vel & den

the above abriviations are not mentioned in the help you just gave... help!
When I wrote this guide, about 3.5 years ago, version 12.xx was the latest update available IIRC. Current version is 19.10.

VEL and DEN seem to have vanished and replaced by the other (perhaps more usable) parameters.

Eg is mentioned in this guide, back then it was called ES, it however switched places with VEN, leaving a spot open for Nd (number of drivers used)

Rg was mentioned by jethrocker in his last post on page 3 of this guide and an estimated figure was give in my first post on page 4.

CIR, as the other parameters, is mentioned in the build-in Hornresp help-function. It gives a short description (this guide basically gives longer descriptions).

As you might know, Hornresp simulates the horn areas as if those are circular. To give optimum efficïency at the cutt off frequency of the horn, the circumference of the circular mouth area needs to be the same length as the wavelength, corresponding with that cutt off frequency (in 4,0 Pi). You have achieved this when CIR is 1.0

For 2,0 Pi you can get optimum efficiency for a certain cutt off frequency with a smaller mouth area. In 1,0 Pi this mouth area can be made smaller again, etc.

In most modern horn designs the actual mouth area is smaller than the optimum mouth area (most often a compromise between gigantic size and actual performance needed). About the reasoning behind this you can find more information in the speakerplans FAQ's and general horn theory found on the www. In short you can get away with a CIR smaller than 1.0 without degrading performance to much if designed correctly.

Wkr Johan

Edited by mobiele eenheid - 27 May 2008 at 4:45pm
RUS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2008 at 1:04pm
hi,
can anyone tell me if the eminence designer software is anygood.

thank's
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2008 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by RUS RUS wrote:

hi,
can anyone tell me if the eminence designer software is anygood.

thank's

Eminence designer = bassbox pro.

If you're considering buying, I'd say just go for winisd pro unless you plan on doing quite a bit of designing.
Away on extended leave.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2008 at 9:44pm
Hello all...
i'm not having a very joyful time trying to get my own entries into WinISD Pro Alpha's driver database. If it thinks the manufacturer has been lying about TS params, it won't let me save the file. Trouble is, it doesn't really tell you which number is not right. 
For example, trying to get the PD184 into the database based on PD's own PDF of the specs, it has a problem with every single group of params, and I had to make up a value of 2.3 for the Le. The inbuilt model of a 184 has Pe set at 400w when it should be 600 so not much use for telling how much SPL is possible! Trying to get any Skytronic drivers in...nah mate. 
Is there a way around this or do I just curse manufacturers for publishing the wrong T/S?

Also, basically, can WinISD calculate bandpass boxes properly at all? Trying to model the 184Sub, it gives a perfectly reasonable looking set of plots using published params for the Eminence Kilomax 18, which is mentioned on the plan as a driver that will NOT work in the 184Sub box. Group delay is a ms or two higher than the PD184 at the peaks but apart from that it looks similar. Modelling the PD186 in the same box, it shows 3-4dB higher SPL, something I have personally verified not to be true in real life (i have 184's, a 186, and four 184sub cabs to test em in!)
cheers....
Matt
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2008 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Hello all...
i'm not having a very joyful time trying to get my own entries into WinISD Pro Alpha's driver database. If it thinks the manufacturer has been lying about TS params, it won't let me save the file. Trouble is, it doesn't really tell you which number is not right. 
For example, trying to get the PD184 into the database based on PD's own PDF of the specs, it has a problem with every single group of params, and I had to make up a value of 2.3 for the Le. The inbuilt model of a 184 has Pe set at 400w when it should be 600 so not much use for telling how much SPL is possible! Trying to get any Skytronic drivers in...nah mate. 
Is there a way around this or do I just curse manufacturers for publishing the wrong T/S?

Also, basically, can WinISD calculate bandpass boxes properly at all? Trying to model the 184Sub, it gives a perfectly reasonable looking set of plots using published params for the Eminence Kilomax 18, which is mentioned on the plan as a driver that will NOT work in the 184Sub box. Group delay is a ms or two higher than the PD184 at the peaks but apart from that it looks similar. Modelling the PD186 in the same box, it shows 3-4dB higher SPL, something I have personally verified not to be true in real life (i have 184's, a 186, and four 184sub cabs to test em in!)
cheers....
Matt

Hi,

First problem can be solved by following winisd's guide to input order of parameters in the help file.

There is no parameter for cone strength, which limits many drivers from being used in many situations despite how well they model.

Hope I solved a few problems and didn't create any Smile
Away on extended leave.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2008 at 1:54am
Bugger me, a Windows help file that's actually any use! It should be the Readme!
(i'm using crossover on a Mac, windows has caused me some dark times in my life, i am deeply cynical as a result)
Still don't know if it's working right on these bandpass models though.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
aperrado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aperrado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 2:00am
hi there somebody know why when I put the t/s parameters in winisd and try to save it say error?i was trying to put the parameters of peavey lowrider 18
Im hard to learn but still asking
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 7:57am
try to put as little T/S as possible, and let winisd calculate them
the main causes are Qes Qms Qts, try to use one of these, and let the rest be calculated,then I think you will find it ok 
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 8:02am
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Hello all...
i'm not having a very joyful time trying to get my own entries into WinISD Pro Alpha's driver database. If it thinks the manufacturer has been lying about TS params,

they/we are not lying, the differeances are minute, and all come down to where and how they were measured
aperrado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aperrado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2008 at 4:18am
ty for ur advice  I will try again
Im hard to learn but still asking
aperrado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aperrado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2008 at 3:34am
hey still the problem  I put a less info parameters  and still the problem I will put some info if somebody can help me  and know how to use winisd pro  advice please.
I put the next parameters
ques=0.356
qms =8.770
qts =0.342
fs   =22.73
vas l=403.9
when entered that parameters pop the next window
parameter error list
"consistency check on following parameter group failed"
ques,qms,and qts.
see the help file for recomemded data entry procedure
can somebody tell me what is wrong or what can I do to fix it