Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for some more info on Altec 816A's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfieDring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for some more info on Altec 816A's
    Posted: 13 December 2007 at 2:58pm
Im trying to find out if these are gonna be suitable for my needs.

Ive got hold of the plan and spec sheet from http://www.altecpro.com/products/vintage/index.htm

The intended use would be as the middle cab in a 3 way active setup, with scoop(s) beneath and a compression driver on a large horn above. System design goal is maximum electrical into acoustic conversion (efficiency of speakers, but also considering idle amp power as a reason not to go 4 way) to provide for live music outdoors to 200 people.

Quoted freq response is 50-1000Hz so this might be a tad on the low side for the comp driver?

Does anyone use them or have experience with em? If so what do you use on top? What x over points can you reccomend and what drivers do you load them with?

Ta :)

Alf
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 3:06pm

Yep,used to have a pair of the genuine Altec 816`s.with the 421-8h drivers(a slightly odd size at 16inches,due to a large frame!)...nice kick from around 100 up to around 800hz...very efficient...used a 2" driver above,crossed at 1k,no probs....i even used them as small bass cab from 60hz,to make a compact 2-way system...worked fine in a small hall...good throw as well....very loud for only 150w per channel...good"disco" sound!Wink

Edit....these also used to work well with the JBL"K" series driver,and the old Celestion powercell 250.....not sure about a modern driver..JBL E130 would be ideal,but its not around now.

Edited by jbl_man - 13 December 2007 at 3:18pm
Be seeing you.
AlfieDring View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfieDring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 6:49pm
Cheers for the quick response JBL man :P And almost all good news too!

Im trying to compile a target spec now for the driver. Ive got the data for the JBL E130 that you suggested but cant find anything on that celestion one.

Looking over the drivers TS parameters (JBL E130, 421-8h and the altec 421-8LF) it looks like i need to find something roughly like......

Vas <300

Qts in range 0.19 – 0.25
Qes in range 0.2 – 0.3
Qms in range 1.8 – 3
Fs 30 – 40 Hz
Moving mass 60 – 80g

Closest match so far is Eminence gamma 15,  Qms is 5.13 though. Its a little high but then i noticed the spec sheet for the 816A also has a thing called the 515B in it with a huge Vas of 757L and Qms of 6.62.... Was this driver some kind of special option? It had a lot of xmax for a driver back then it seems...?

Ill keep nosing around to see what i can find.

Im also looking for any internal photo's as im having trouble figuring out the bracing!

Cheers

Alf

boab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 9:02pm
I have two working celestion powercell 15s in good condition.
Will be happy to sell them as they are not doing much just now.
Cheers
Boab
Edit: Just remembered I have one of those(copy) and 4 of the 12" versions. £150 the lot inc 2 x powercells.

Edited by boab - 13 December 2007 at 9:06pm
AlfieDring View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfieDring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 11:10pm
Thanks for the offer boab, sounds like a pretty good deal. Ive no need of the 12's! Can i see some pic's of the 816A copy you've got? Particularly the insides if you'd be so kind :P

Also have you any info on the celestion's? Watt's yr of manufacture ect? Theres diddly squat on the net...

Cheers

Alf
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 3:03am
http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage/SpeakerAndMics/speakers/515-G%20series%20LF%20Speaker.pdf

Best driver for the 816 cabinets, but very expensive, and not high power.

Look at the response graps (remember to add 1.7dB for 1M SPL), note that the horn loading drops off below about 160hz and it becomes a vented enclosure below there.

Also see the plans here:

Edited by _djk_ - 14 December 2007 at 3:05am
djk
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2007 at 11:35am
Alfie,the 515b was Altec`s top-of the range cinema bass driver,also used in the A7 vott cabinet...i would forget about that,as they are quite low power,and almost impossible to find now.
The 816s i had were from the Altec factory,and had 421-8h drivers as standard.that being  basically a 150w extended-range guitar speaker,but they worked very well...as DJK says,the front horn loads it from about 150hz,below that it just works as reflex box.
Here is photo of mine from 1978!
Ian.
Be seeing you.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2007 at 3:19am
JBL E140 works quite well in these, will handle the power too.
djk
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2007 at 12:54pm
I use a similar cab for kick bass. do very well from the high 40s. Ive never had any call to use them any higher than 200 but Id imagine theyd be good a couple of octaves higher. mine are loaded with k140s

LOUDER THAN LOUD
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2007 at 3:00pm
is that your system then Ger?
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2007 at 4:57pm
2 of these at the front mykey - ancient but reliable jbl - parts of the old electrotec labq system- once in a while I even orientate the mids and his correctly. theres also some 15+1s, 12+1s and 8+1s depending on what Im using it for.

LOUDER THAN LOUD
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2007 at 9:22am
Great balencing act there Ger!..oh i love old skool stuff...are those pukka Court acoustics 18" horns at the bottom?
Ian.
Be seeing you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>