Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1850 for reggae?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote another Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1850 for reggae?
    Posted: 21 December 2007 at 9:21pm
simply a question: how the 1850 horn sound whit reggae dub music?
(please, don't tell me "for reggae use scoops" Wink )
thanks. another.
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2007 at 6:56am

i had another duck last night, she was good

all depends on what scoop my friend 

Edited by mykey - 22 December 2007 at 6:58am
LostGrayCat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostGrayCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2007 at 7:13am
That would depend on if you know how to work your system.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2007 at 11:57am
Originally posted by another another wrote:

simply a question: how the 1850 horn sound whit reggae dub music?
(please, don't tell me "for reggae use scoops" Wink )
thanks. another.

The designer of the 1850 horn, recommends scoops for reggae and dub.

If you dont mind frequently being dissappointed with your system, when you hear a reggae sound with scoops, sounding deeper and louder than your system, often with half as many cabs and cheaper drivers, then go ahead. Wink

If you really must be different, why not try WSX? At least that will have 40hz sub in groups of 4x, and be concert ready outside. Embarrassed

Edited by levyte357 - 22 December 2007 at 12:22pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
another View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote another Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2007 at 9:15am
thanks for the reply
so the 1850 is not good for dancehalls beacause is not much louder... and try to put a g-sub whit the 1850?
rezsbc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rezsbc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2007 at 10:04am
we use our looney bins on our reggae sound and guess what.... they stomp all over our Jah Tubby built scoops we had previously...

better tone, better sound.  A lot of people will say the 1850 lacks sub cos people tend to assume that reggae has lots of sub.  Apart from a handful of dancehall tracks from the past 2 years you'll be hard pressed to find many reggae tracks that actually have much sub.

The 1850 has a great tone and is very efficient, certainly one looney bin is louder than one of our scoops was.  For playing vintage reggae music and dancehall I think you could do a lot worse.  If your looking to play modern digital dub a la iration steppers etc. then perhaps you will want something else that plays down to 30Hz but otherwise I would definitely consider it.

A lot of reggae sounds globally use a folded horn design similar to the 1850's (cervin vega earthquakes are very popular in JA.)  Personally I think people have come to associate the scoop sound with reggae cos that what soundsystems traditionally used, from my own experience you would be much better with 1850's than scoops though.

Ites.

Edited by rezsbc - 24 December 2007 at 10:07am
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2007 at 10:55am

I have heard both types of cab do the business for reggae, it's horses for courses and the people saying otherwise are being narrow minded.

For some time we used 1850 cabs playing a lot of 80s and 90s dancehall (jammys, penthouse, massive b, etc) and it never lacked depth. I disagree with Levyte about the spl thing, I think over the 45 - 120Hz range the 1850s are capable of playing louder, I have heard both cabs side by side. Where the scoops win is in small rooms and in going low; 1850s will never go as low because they do not have the front radiating element like a scoop and in small rooms they sometimes loose impact.

If you have no intention of playing the new super low dub stuff then there's a host of folded horn cabinets available to you, the 1850 being one of the better ones.

levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2007 at 11:16am
Originally posted by biotec biotec wrote:

For some time we used 1850 cabs playing a lot of 80s and 90s dancehall (jammys, penthouse, massive b, etc) and it never lacked depth. I disagree with Levyte about the spl thing, I think over the 45 - 120Hz range the 1850s are capable of playing louder, I have heard both cabs side by side. Where the scoops win is in small rooms and in going low; 1850s will never go as low because they do not have the front radiating element like a scoop and in small rooms they sometimes loose impact.

If you have no intention of playing the new super low dub stuff then there's a host of folded horn cabinets available to you, the 1850 being one of the better ones.

Agree with most of that Bio, but don't forget not all scoops have the really high SPL output.

Haven't heard single non scoop cab yet that will keep up with small chamber scoop like RX18 + 1850 35-80Hz. Know a lot of reggae guy's who have tried 1850/186 horns, and they said they sounded good, but no where near the SPL in the sub range.
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2007 at 11:52am

For some time we used 1850 cabs and it never lacked depth.

I think over the 45 - 120Hz range the 1850s are capable of playing louder.

1850s will never go as low because they do not have the front radiating element like a scoop

The sound of King Earthquakes bass line proves this to many! 

Isn't it the 186 Folded Horn that will play a bit lower the 1850 versions ?

tommysb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommysb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2007 at 11:55am
Are king earthquakes the system with those huge yellow folded horns?
another View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote another Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2007 at 1:24pm
so why not give it a try... about 1850+g-sub? is a good idea for go louder? (like sub 30-70hz, horn 50-200)
who can test the 1850 whit some reggae and post a report?
thanks, another.
rezsbc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rezsbc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2007 at 2:10pm
eh I use our looney bins (modified version of 1850) with reggae all the time.  works very well.  ask anyone who was at carnival 2004 or 2005 how DIRT's big stack fared playing reggae (it was hearing this made us decide on the looney bin).

The 1850 is mostly suited to one-way bass though.... if you want to use separate subs like g-subs you are probably better off going for dedicated sub boxes with dedicated kick bins above them.  Or just use the 1850's on their own with mid-highs that play down to 120Hz or so.

Check the thread about he "lab sub vs. 1850 horn" a few posts down.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>