Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how would you power....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2005 at 7:13pm
Proper good bass amps are things like CAMCO Vortex 7 and Lab Gruppen,QSC Powerlight 9 and the monster CREST 10001 amazing for bass.
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2005 at 3:11pm

Here's my list!

Don't say the V word. Camco used to make good amps, the Vortex aren't up to that. Cheap housing, SMD output stage (no service!) and really weak in bass (so weak that even in a magazine they complained about it). Well-known Camco users stated that even a PS15 on a V6 sounds weaker in bass than with a DL3000 (and that even the V6 has much higher power rating. If you want amps that are REALLY reliable and worth their price, DON'T go Vortex!

Camco Tecton: Even cheaper and crappier version of the Vortex. Built upside down for cheaper production, 2 ohms only on special versions and still expensive.

Camco DL.... now that is an amp. German quality :) . Does what it says.

LAB Gruppen fP are the best alround amps around. Fat bass and very good in mids and highs too. Lightweight. Reliable. Innovative technology. What do you want more? Lower price? Yeah, would be great.....

QSC PL6.0 and 9.0 are monstrous amps too. Very good for all ranges, but not lightweight and 3HE. If this is nothing you need to consider, you get a very good amp.

QSC PLX3402 is weak in bass even compared to a TA2400 (I did this AB-comparison myself!). They don't like heat (Had them shut down in club enviroment several times). One guy said, they use them and noone complained about lack of bass. Yeah, why should anyone? You set up a system a use a certain number of amps so you can do the job. If you think the bass is weak, you bring in another amp and another set of subs.... But do a comparison and you may see that you can get away with 2 equal rated amps instead of 3 PLX3402. The PLX is really cheap for it's weight...

QSC RMX: Yeah, for the price ok. Stupid circuitry. Sounds 'different'.

Crests old PA-series are real bricks. They work like a diesel engine, but they weight like it too.

Crest CA: They are alright. They claim to be 'made in the USA' but they are not (There is NO LAW that prevents you from writing such things. They are DESIGNED in the USA, but made in China). They do ok in bass range and sound good in mids and highs.

Crest Pro200: Dunno how they perform, but it's said that they are similar to the old LAB-series from Lab Gruppen, which would mean they sound good, but aren't that heavy in bass.

The current Peavey PV amps are the same as Crest CPX series. They are ok. No real beasts in bass range but ok.

The older Peavey PVs (PV1,3k or PV2000) are cheaply made. There are enough transistors in, but the protections (except DDT) suck, the supply is undersized (yeah, it's heavy but nowhere next to a CS1200X) and you can hear that if your bass works accurate. Strange things happen when you go near full tilt.... and they can't take heat. I had several burnt PV1,3k. No, they did NOT shut down because of heat, they just caught fire..... in situations where the old CS line played and played and played.... But as long as they get sufficient cool air and you don't expect them to run 2 ohms really full tilt, they'll work.

The old Peavey CS line is built like a brick again. Kinda like small brothers of the Crest PA. They extremely seldom get broken. A CS1200X melts a solid wire between binding posts without going into heat or shutting down.

The newer CS line is crap.

The newest CS-line looks good on the paper. Biggest amp with 2x2040W at 4 ohms out of 2HU and around 45lbs and there are 4ch amps. But they aren't shipped yet.

The Peavey GPS line is set above the PV line. They should be more reliable and more stable into lower impedances. I don't know if this is the case. But they look cheap....

T.Amps (TA2400): Pretty impressive for the price. No real killer in bass range, but they do ok and you fill up a rack real cheap. No 2 ohms. They are built like the smaller Crest CAs (up to CA9).

BST Liker/ DAP Vision: Built like the bigger Crest CA (CA12/CA18), only minor differences. Good in bass, mids and highs.

Crown MA: Good, if you like distortion. Heavily overpriced.

The Crown ITechs are pretty amazing in terms of bass and features, but they are PWM amps and they DO sound like PWM amps (rough, grainy highs).

RAM Audio BUX: They are ok. A bit weak in bass.....

RAM Audio DQL/DQX: Very good. Fat bass, nice highs.... A little short on transistors in the output stage, but they got good protections...

Yorkville AP6040/6020: Very good. Ok in bass, fine highs. Built very solid.

PowerSoft DigAm (old series): Very good bass amp. Mids ok, high horrible. Lightweight and just 1 HU.

There are much more amps I know and tested, but I don't want to write anymore.... :)

So I use Lab Gruppen, old Peavey CS and T.Amps now....

Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2005 at 6:54pm

You forget the CREST 10001 amazing for bass!!!!!!

Saw one driving bassbins used at Plasma 2003.

QSC RMX4050HD is great on bass[I own one of these and seems to give great bass on 4 ohm stereo load without getting hot or sounding bad].

Crown MA5000VZ wicked for bass!!!!!!

Void Infinite 8-- never ever heard one, but other ppl say its great for bass too!

Yamaha P7000S-- good on mid and highs but okish on bass.

Yamaha PC9500N---supposed to be good on bass , but ain't heard them.

Citronic Conquest 12 ---- ok on bass

Ecler Pam series---ain't heard them but heard great things about the sound and build quality.

Edited by ToXiC
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2005 at 10:03am

James....good value budget amps..... 

Before u run off and spend all your hard earned on new amps,u can pick up excellent used units,most of which are far superior to the modern cheap "made in taiwan" junk that frequents the "disco equipment" section on Ebay. my best buys....BGW 750 for bass,built like a Sherman tank in usa,25 yrs old, 24 output devices on huge heatsinks,and has pumping hard bass.......Legendary HH v800,super quality English amp,seem to go on forever...the "old" studiomaster 800 c and 800b..good no-nonsense amp with huge power supplies....and finally (DONT LAUGH) Citronic ppx900..another good english amp..good clean examples of all of these can easily be had for about £200 each......i have access to more ppx900`s if anyone is interested...all have had very little use,and were used for background or speech pa at a conference centre.

Edited by jbl_man
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2005 at 10:10am

Crest 10001 is PA-series AFAIK.

Crown MA5000: I don't like them. They are heavy, expensive and distort a lot. The bass sounds fat just because of the distrortion. There is no reason buying them nowadays.

MA3600: Killer in bassrange (I mean that literally! Known to kill speakers!). Not to use without the distortion-depending limiter PIP!

jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2005 at 10:35am

Oh yes,forgot to add.....i agree with JD01...forget the new peavey amps....the "old" peavey CS range(the late 1980s-early 1990`s model range) are the ones to get.....nicely made,and i have never had 1 go wrong yet..and again nice ones are still available around the £200 mark...CS400/800...the CS1000 and 1200 tend to be about £300.

Edited by jbl_man
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2005 at 6:40pm
i have heard many good things said about the cs 800. it is nearly 25kg so must be pretty solid, and it has apparently enjoyed the longest production run of a power amplifier of it's type. they have a reputation for bulletproof reliability but hardly sparkling performance. i've been keeping an eye out for a cheap cs 800 as my general supplier and repair colleague has a broken one of the 1980s era he can fix given incentive.

so, following the theme of the thread, would a cs 800 or indeed a ppx 900 be a suitable tool to run the mid horns. that is to say between 4 and 6, 100watt, 8 ohm, 10" mid horns per side/ amp. 4 ohm with 2 boxes a channel is fine sure, but plug in the 3rd and is there enough stable power to go round?

it seems a little hard to justify spending 200 pounds on one, modern budget amps have come on a long way by your own acounts, i'm thinking how the t amp fairs for jd01 and the pa 1000 timber discussed. needing amps in pairs is a pain but is a realistic constraint. second hand is good when the price is right, but not every bit of kit out there has had a good life. to date, nearly all of my processing gear and all of my amps are second hand verging on antique.

james.

Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2005 at 4:27am
The Peavey CS 800 has been in production since 1976. The complaint
many users had was the 20 dB compression Peavey offered...... aka
DDT, when you tried to drive the amps to volume 11.

Instead of overdriving, it would reduce the gain proportionally to
the offending frequency.

For the inexperience user, it will save alot of money from blowned
voice coils/diaframs. For the experienced user you can get a dirt
cheap amp, thats built like a tank, that will offer years of faithfull
service.

Note: The Amplifier is 400 watts per channel @ 4 ohms from
20 - 20 Khz with no more than 0.03% THD. 

I have 8 of these units, that I use for smaller events. It is superb
for guys who don't know when to backoff on the fader. So, I rent them out alot.

If you want to operate six 10 inch speakers on it, look for the CS
800X (600 watts per channel @ 2 ohms) The CS 800 was not
designed to drive under 4 ohms, stereo. And, while I've done it
many of times with the non X models I own, I can't say what
worked for me, will for you.

I own a lot of amplifiers, so, if I choose to operate the CS 800
in 2 ohms (In your case three 10's a channel = 2.666666...  ohms)
its generally on a short term basis.

Keep in mind, Peavey offers the manuals on all their amplifiers.
In addition to an informative message board, that can give you
all the techinical information (If need be) on the CS 800.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson
Elliot Thompson
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2005 at 6:00am

Just a thought......

As  u are using these amps to drive mid horns,i doubt if the impedance will drop to as low as 2.6 ohms,as the impedance will vary the higher the x-over frequency,so its unlikely that a 2.6 ohm load would actually present itself to the amplifier...so i would think it will be fine.

oh,yes,CS800..remember to take the lid off once a year and hoover out the bugs and dust,other than that,those old ones are bullet proof.

JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2005 at 1:20pm

3 drivers 8 ohms each parallel = 2.66 ohms.

But that is no problem for a CS800 (without the X) as it is midrange. Even bassrange will be a problem, but heavy use on (too) low impedances can trip the fuse (that is because the amps fuse is designed for 4 ohms loads current requirements)!

I have all types of the older CS amps (except the old CS800 and CS400 with 4 HU which had some problems), so CS800, CS800X, CS800S (only 10kg), CS1000, CS1000X, CS1200 and CS1200X are in use. I own about 30 of them and I had 3 defects in the last 10 years... THAT is quality work.

The new value amps are quite good too, but I doubt they are reliable like those CS. If they run 3 or 4 years that is ok. I think they have made their money then.... for mids those amps are more than ok.

Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2005 at 3:41pm
Speaking of Peavey...........

They (Peavey) have introduced a New CS line. Seems like
they've gone back to the basics, for they are using the original
Peavey Emblem that they was known for, on their new line.

Their biggest model, offers 4000 watts either in 4 ohms, or
2 ohms per channel (Pending on which model you buy)

JD01

If you ever want to know the thermal capacity of the CS 800X,
and, CS 800 (89 Series) let me know. I got the capacity ratings
from Peavey.

The 4 rack space offered the highest rating, and, now I see
why that amp was literaly impossible to thermal, muchless get
hot.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson
Elliot Thompson
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2005 at 6:38pm

The biggest of the new CS line offers 2x2040W at 4 ohms, but can't do 2 ohms. The biggest model offering 2 ohms is the one you said, with 2x2000W at 2 ohms (reminds me of Yorkville somehow).

The older 4HU CS800 is the best in terms of temperature. But there are some problems with the circuit design that were removed when the 3HU CS800 was introduced. I once had those 4HU models, but they were big, heavy and ugly.... :)  And even if the 3HU models couldn't take as much heat as the 4HU, the 3HU models could work on 2 ohms without distortion (as long as the mains fuse doesn't trip) while the 4HU models had problems with that....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>