Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tom Danley and Yorkville offer more...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2008 at 8:23am

From someone that has actually heard them:

Got to hear some brand spanking new speakers last week...

Not suitable for the home (and not competing with Klipsch Pro stuff, so I feel ok about throwing it on the forum), but verrry interesting new Danley HF device.  I heard a four box array and they literally sound as good as any studio monitors I've heard.  If anyone is interested in hearing them, let me know where you are and I'll let you know if and when the demo rig will be doing anything public near you.

www.VTCProAudio.com

Edited by _djk_ - 07 February 2008 at 8:25am
djk
AshayinFLA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshayinFLA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2008 at 9:22am
A company I work with has 12 of these cabinets, and 8 of the double-12" subs.
So far, I have not heard them out in the field, but we did listen to a few of them in the shop.
They definitely need some eq (apart from the processor settings initially on them). For the most part they come WAYYY too bright. Cutting between 4-8db (depending on taste, etc) from 6.8k> smoothes them right out. They are also slightly harsh in the mids, but a couple of db down at 600-800hz fixes them right up!  Apart from that, these are GREAT SOUNDING boxes!  They do throw VERY FAR (we walked out of the warehouse and a good 50-75 feet with lots of pressure of in-your-face clean sound!) Theres a few downgrades to using them in the field (at this time you cannot groundstack and point the bottom cabinets at a downward angle,  without "figuring out" how to), and the finish is kinda "cheesy" and looks like it will easily scuff or even break!

The double-12" subs are SIMPLY AMAZING (well, for 12" subs anyway).  The amount of pressure that comes out of these cabinets is nuts!  Groundstacked subs made a huge difference over flying 2 subs with the fullrange cabs underneath.

My boss is a distributor for these boxes, and although I don't know the numbers, they are supposedly really cheap, in comparison to other similar cabinets!  They are priced low because of some of the "weaknesses" like the painted wood, and a few other very little complaints.

These boxes are currently in Boca Raton, FL if anybody wants to demo them. Saturday we will be using 1 sub and 2 tops per side as sidefills for kc and the sunshine band. If anybody is interesting I can let you know how their engineer likes them.

ps Their processor (4-in, 8-out) is SIMPLY AMAZING for the price! Each output has 8 parametrics + low/high pass filters on each output, as well as up 50 650ms delay (in .01ms steps), full limiter, phase, and a matrix mixer to send any input to each output at whatever level you want. Each INPUT has phase, gain, delay, 8 parametrix, lp/hp, compressor, AND a 31 band graphic EQ (you can use all the eq's at once, not just parametric or just graphic)!!! Every port (input, output) can be named. Theres 30 presets to store your settings! The system has usb, serial, AND ethernet connections to the computer program, but ALL functions can be accessed from the front panel! Also, it is 1 rack space!  VTC gets these from another manufacturer (whose name I forget) but they sell CHEAP (well under $1000 for all this!) I think the manufacturer has other units, with up to 8 in, 16 out if I remember right!!!!

Edited by AshayinFLA - 22 August 2008 at 9:26am
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2008 at 1:51pm
Without delving in to the theory too deeply, the dispersion angle of a straight sided horn is set by the angle between the two walls. With a given mouth and throat size, set by drive unit choice and operating frequency range, the only way to reduce the angle between the horn walls, and hence dispersion angle, is to make the horn longer. The idea of the various high frequency devices used in line arrays is to create a shallow device that behaves as though it was a long horn.

If you don't mind a very deep cabinet, the long horn method should work

turbodeas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbodeas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2008 at 12:35am
Interesting stuff.

Possibly a bit of a basic question, but the two "holes" across each 10 inch driver - are they there to act as an acoustic low pass filter?

I've noticed quite a few line array boxes have their mid drivers partially covered up by some solid material and was wondering why this is, as opposed to just a standard metal grille....I did wonder whether it was to move the point of radiation closer to the HF in order to give more coherancy when the wavefronts combine?

Cheers,

Chris.
Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2008 at 1:05am
Originally posted by turbodeas turbodeas wrote:

I did wonder whether it was to move the point of radiation closer to the HF in order to give more coherancy when the wavefronts combine?

That is usually the main reason - the higher the crossover frequency, the closer the two sources would need to be.  There is also the problem of not having too many irregularities to the horn as far as the HF is concerned - a large hole in the side of the horn will degrade the HF significantly and cause large reflections.  Note the vertical slots in the Vertecs.  In some experiments I was doing, I brought the high mid throats out to vertical slots either side of the HF (similar to the Worx boxes) and found that covering these with a fine flat steel mesh improved the HF output.
turbodeas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbodeas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2008 at 3:08am
Ah cheers, that clears some stuff up for me.

So there's no problem with only one side of the mid driver being exposed/loaded? I was just always of the mind that the throat of a horn should come from the centre of the driver, in order to keep pressure across the cone equal - looking at the Danley boxes the mid throats are quite clearly at the edge of the cones.....

Chris.
AshayinFLA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshayinFLA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2008 at 3:14am
I would think it would have an effect on the lf frequnecy response, but the main reason for that is actually to keep the "sources" of sound less than 1/2 a wavelength from each other.  If the sound eminates from more than 1/2 a wavelength away (at the highest frequency the transducer is set to reproduce, since that is the smallest wavelength) then you can get phase cancellations and uneven frequency response across the listening area.  That is why so many line arrays use small mid drivers (4-6") rather than larger (10-12") drivers which can reproduce the frequencies just as well. The larger drivers when set next to each other will be too far apart for the frequencies they produce, to keep even coverage at the edges of the coverage area (of course it is hard to hear the difference with music, especially while standing in one point, but if you play pink noise and walk around, the difference is very obvious very quickly, as you will hear the "shape" of the noise changing as you walk!).  If you use larger drivers, you can make them "vent" out close together, so the sources of sound are close enough, you eliminate that problem!
turbodeas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbodeas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2008 at 6:49pm
Riiiiight.

I'm well aware of the effects 1/2 wavelength coupling has on sound, I was just unsure of the effects covering half of the driver with wood/metal would have on the sound!

Thanks for clearing that up, it's appreciated :]

Chris.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2008 at 10:24pm
"I was just unsure of the effects covering half of the driver with wood/metal would have on the sound!"

You mean like a compression driver where 90% of the diaphragm area is covered by the phase plug?
djk
turbodeas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbodeas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2008 at 3:42am
That did occur to me, but phase plugs are almost always centered on the diaphragm, thus providing equal pressure across the vibrating surface.

I was concerned that the throats on cone transducers in line array systems are often off centre, surely creating an area of much higher pressure at the edge of the cone. Does this not mean a) that breakup can happen easier or b) that the radiated sound from one edge of the cone has to travel further to the throat than on the other?

I might be completely wrong here, just trying to clear it up in my head but can't find much conclusive evidence either way!

Cheers,

Chris.
haymere View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haymere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2008 at 8:45am
Going back a bit I would just love to try some of danley/yorkvilles unity series

mark
audiodesignguide View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodesignguide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2009 at 6:44am

ArthurG,

what do you suggest about a good 15" to use with CP380M ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>