Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EVX180B in a 1850 or 186?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEWProductions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EVX180B in a 1850 or 186?
    Posted: 19 January 2008 at 4:49pm
Hello all,
I am in need of an easily obtainable driver for either the 186 or 1850 horn. I am trying to build 4-8 of them and was planning on using 4 for a job in about 3 weeks. I was looking at the Ev evx180b. I know its ev and all but it seems ok on paper. Anyone tried, seen or heard of using one of these? The specs are as follows:
fS : .............................................................................................. 29 Hz
VaS:.........................................................................416 liters (14.7 ft3)
QES: ...............................................................................................0.29
OMS:...............................................................................................4.00
QTS: ...............................................................................................0.27
RE:.........................................................................................5.0 ohms
η0: ............................................................................................... 3.4%
SD:..........................................................................0.122 m2 (189 in.2)
MMD: ...................................................................... 0.127 kg (0.280 lb)
LE : ...........................................................................................1.6 mH
CMS:..................................................................................0.200 mm/N
RMS:.................................................................6.86 mechanical ohms
Xmax:............................................................... 6.4
xlim2.................................................................. 25mm

Any help on this would be huge as I don't have a whole lot of time to mess around. Any suggestions are fine too.

Thanks,
Rob
Hugo Biermann View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2008 at 10:18pm
They will fall apart after a while in those horns, BUT as you are from the states you should know these boxes?

Follow this link to the plan

www.aggressiveaudio.co.za
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2008 at 4:03pm
Hi BEW, EV uses the EVX-180B in the Dynacord Alpha B-6 W Bin Horn. They have been used in many dance club installs world wide. www.dynacord.de  I found the single spider of the EVX-180A/B goes soft and the cone sags in after heavy duty (HEAVY DUTY) use. I always spec out a dual spider woofer for our sub and bass bin projects. B and C Neo 18NW100 has a low Q and dual spider and might work good. The Euro guys like the PD woofers, but as far as I can see no one  wholesales them in the USA.  VECTORDJ
bhuy002 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhuy002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 1:07pm
Confused Are EV DL18MT woofer good for LIVE SOUNDS????? I've heard them on one concert and it's too bassy??
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 1:58pm
DL18MT is a joke of a driver.  2.5" VC, no motor strength and a tendency to catch fire if you drive them with more than about 300W. They were used in cabs designed for efficiency over sound quality eg the DML2181 for which you need a calendar to measure the group delay!

EV make some great products, especially microphones, P series amplifiers etc.  Unfortunately I don't think drivers are their strong point. There are exceptions of course.
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 9:59am
the old ev12l worked well in large mid horns in a time when the only competitor was an ATC driver. These days there are a multitude of 12'' drivers that perform far better. I think the same is true accross the whole range of EV drivers. They need updating to compete with superior engineering and better prices from european companies like 18sound, RCF, PD, DAS, etc.

I'd sepnd your money elsewhere. The driver might sound OK at low volume for a short time but I think you will end up with an expensive confetti cannon before long.

Edited by biotec - 28 January 2008 at 10:00am
 Post Reply Post Reply