Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SPEAKERPLANS - DM 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2008 at 9:32am
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

If you had those components I'd suggest building some single 15",10"+HF boxes in a more conventional column arrangement. 

The 15s i have lying about are 16ohm......
so i wanted a design with duel 15s, so i can get em down to a usable 8ohm load.

I know this is a pretty old design, and theres better ways of doing it, in ideal circumstances, but im just keeping myself busy by building with what i have to hand. And at the moment, what i have to hand is a load of cheap 15" drivers!.....
.....I like the idea of splitting the cabinet into a dual 15 and a dual 10 + horn...would be slightly more multi functional.....

Originally posted by godathunder godathunder wrote:

if you plan on using them as sidefills Im not sure I see the point of an 18 underneath other than raising the dm2 to head height. more bass wash on stage=more mud in mains
.....By ''sidefills''......im not neccessarily talking about for a stage aplication. 2 stacks of 1 x DM2 with an 18" reflex underneath would be great for smaller gigs, (very little processing, delaying etc = less set up time),and when used with the full rig, they could even be used as rear stereo stacks....
Most of our music is PsyTrance and or Dub, so the cabinet seems like a good comprimise design wise.....

Also, as im doing this suicide rig project on a budget, driving the 10s and horns will be cheap to buy and power.....and relatively loud.....

mmm.....
cheers for the thoughts guys :)
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2008 at 9:35am
Hmm... 16Ohm drivers eh? Sounds like a job for paralleling them all up and bridging something into them at 4R!

Sounds like the twin 15" bass plus twin 10"+Horn would be the most sensible for you.

Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2008 at 10:05am
hehe...
you may be right!
...got any plans lying round??....(laughs)
I can build, but havent dabbled much in design......
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2008 at 10:19am
Which drivers do you have exactly?

If you can do basic maths and geometry you can design some boxes given some pointers.  As a rough guess you'll want between 75-125L per 15" driver depending on how you want to tune it. Most likely 45-50Hz.  Probably 20-30L per 10" driver and tune that cab to 70-80Hz.

I'd probably make it all as compact as possible.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2008 at 11:36am
My maths and geometry are fine...(albeit a few years out of practice!!!)
Whats the formula for converting cubic centimeters to cubic litres??....
....Think i'll be okay from there....(just dug out my old Eminence design book, and theres design for double 15s in there....that shouldnt need too much modification to incprporate some tens....) 

sorry for all the questions!
cheers,
C

ps- Im actually getting quite excited about building some more cabs now.....ITS BEEN YEARS!

Edited by Strange Daze - 25 January 2008 at 11:37am
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2008 at 12:10pm
100,000,000mm3 = 100 litres

EDIT: I'll elaborate....

If i want a box 125litres then that is 125,000,000mm3, divide it by two dimentions of your choice.... say you want the front 600mm wide and 700mm high.. then you het the depth..

125,000,000 / 600mm = 208333.3
208333.3 / 700mm = 297.6

Depth of box 297.6mm

so 600x700x297.6mm = 125 litres

Thats how i do it...

Edited by Jake_Fielder - 25 January 2008 at 12:15pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2008 at 12:15pm
nice.
Thanks Jake.

Cool...
just got some 10s on order thru work, and wood will be bought from BnQ next week....

so i'll keep you all posted :)

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2008 at 12:17pm
....hehee....
Just enquired about hiring some kit (table saw etc), from HSS.....as my housemate works for em.
Turns out i just have to pay deposit, which i get back when the kits returned!!!

WaHay for housemate who work for HSS!!!
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2008 at 12:18pm
How i account for ports and the driver (and bracing if you want to be pedantic!) is, I just add that on at the start so 125litre box + 5 litres (~15"driver) + 1 litre for ports say is 131litres or 131,000,000mm3 then you do the thing i said above
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2008 at 12:32pm
....Im perhaps the least pedantic pro audio salesman and soundsystem owner you'll meet ;)
(*goes to check supplies of Gaffa*).....
Na joking.....
Cheers :) 
SmokeyJoe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 12:10am
If you thought the DM2 was old school...

How about THESE beasties?

The text that describes their performance is quite amusing!

- Joe. (ps. these were the boxes I was going to build before finding this site )
Static Age View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 2:42pm
Joe, that link takes me to the site index, what is it that i'm supposed to see?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>