Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plans for the TH-115?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJblackwidow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plans for the TH-115?
    Posted: 02 February 2008 at 6:37am
I just heard 4 of the Danley Sound Labs TH-115 tonight, and all I can say is, damn. These things kick some serious ass, I'd take them over turbosounds, maybe even a WSX. But i'm wondering if anyone has plans for them. I've never tried building a tapped horn sub before, and not sure really how to build them. Also what driver would be best for this, an RCF driver?
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2008 at 10:14am
djk
DJblackwidow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJblackwidow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2008 at 11:20pm
Ok, so are the LAB subs the closest anyone has come to them? I know i'm going to buy a couple of the TH-115's when I get the money, reguardless of what pro sound web says, I heard these things go, and i've never heard a sub perform like them. The was close, but couldnt stay as loud as low as the 115, and the turbosound tsw-718 and go low, but don't seem like they can hit as hard as the 115, and they are the dual 18's. Bar far, these are my favorite subs for touring. So once I get the money, I will check them out.
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2008 at 11:27pm
The closest thing to them thats a DIY is the Apache H15 of Philpope on this forum

Do an advanced search setting the date to any date

I think the thread was about Danley Tapped Horns originally

Stu

All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 1:56am
"Ok, so are the LAB subs the closest anyone has come to them?"

A single lab 12 has virtually no output compared to the TH115 in the 40hz region, is larger and heavier, and a much lower impedance as well.

If you want a good DIY project I would look at using the Eminence 4015LF in a tapped horn design. This driver is half the price (in the USA) of the B&C that Danley uses, and actually simulates better in AkAbak. Both drivers have eight back-plate vents, 4" coils, copper shorting rings in the motor.

If you make the box just a little larger than the TH115 here is what you can get from a pair:

±2dB 31hz~150hz, 108dB/2.83V/1M at 35hz.

Edited by _djk_ - 04 February 2008 at 1:57am
djk
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 11:21am
And the plans please :-)
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 11:05am

|35 Hz Tapped Horn

Def_Const |Horn Dimensions

{
a1 = 500e-4; |Area at throat (cm^2)
a2 = 850e-4; |Area at rear of driver (cm^2)
a3 = 3100e-4; |Area at front of driver (cm^2)
a4 = 3200e-4; |Area at mouth (cm^2)
l1 = 20e-2; |Distance from throat to rear of driver (cm)
l2 = 250e-2; |Line distance from rear of driver to front of driver (cm)
l3 = 25e-2; |Distance from front of driver to mouth (cm)
}

Def_Driver 'Dr1'

| Eminence Difinimax 4015LF
Sd=872.9cm2
fs=42Hz
Qes=0.54
Qms=6.73
Vas=116L
Re=5.04ohm
Le=1.49mH

system 'S1'

Driver Def='Dr1' Node=1=0=3=4
Waveguide 'W1' Node=2=3 STh={a1} SMo={a2} Len={l1} Conical
Waveguide 'W2' Node=3=4 STh={a2} SMo={a3} Len={l2} Conical
Horn 'H1' Node=4 STh={a3} SMo={a4} Len={l3} Conical

djk
Hugo Biermann View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2013 at 1:29pm

Image not to scale. Wireframe can be confusing.... A huge guess, but its a try...

I noticed something in the wireframe again earlier. I will update my guess sometime and post the image again.

Edited by Hugo Biermann - 12 August 2013 at 11:02am
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2013 at 1:59pm
No that is a pretty good guess i would say :-)

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Xoc1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xoc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2013 at 8:23pm
the TH115 is good but really relies on a high performance driver capable of large Xmax for its performance. 
For a DIY design TH I chose an 18" driver as these are capable of shifting more air!
Even Danley has done this by shoehorning a 18" driver into the TH115 cab and calling it the TH118.
I have a thread on DIYAudio about the cab I drew up.
Its a bit of a long read as it has nearly 1400 posts.
Embarrassingly it turned out that what I drew was closer to a Danley TH115 / TH118 than anyone envisaged at the time!
Tony Wilkes - Forte Audio, took the design as the basis of his stretched F1-TH18EX cab.
The sketch posted by Hugo above is very close to correct. The difference in the design compared to most DIY tapped horns is the the way the fold restricts the throat very close to the center of the speaker driver. Get this wrong and you are going to break your driver - also with a more budget driver I would reduce the amount of compression at this point.
Cheers Xoc1

login4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote login4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2013 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Xoc1 Xoc1 wrote:

the TH115 is good but really relies on a high performance driver capable of large Xmax for its performance. 
For a DIY design TH I chose an 18" driver as these are capable of shifting more air!
Even Danley has done this by shoehorning a 18" driver into the TH115 cab and calling it the TH118.
I have a thread on DIYAudio about the cab I drew up.
Its a bit of a long read as it has nearly 1400 posts.
Embarrassingly it turned out that what I drew was closer to a Danley TH115 / TH118 than anyone envisaged at the time!
Tony Wilkes - Forte Audio, took the design as the basis of his stretched F1-TH18EX cab.
The sketch posted by Hugo above is very close to correct. The difference in the design compared to most DIY tapped horns is the the way the fold restricts the throat very close to the center of the speaker driver. Get this wrong and you are going to break your driver - also with a more budget driver I would reduce the amount of compression at this point.
Cheers Xoc1

cheers for that, do you know if these will work well with the Fane Prime 18XS drivers?

cheers
CELTIC SUBSONIC SOUND SYSTEMS
Hugo Biermann View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2013 at 11:35am
Take a gander at this:

TH118

Edited by Hugo Biermann - 08 September 2016 at 9:32pm
www.aggressiveaudio.co.za
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>