Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBL 2445

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noiseboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JBL 2445
    Posted: 10 February 2008 at 11:34pm
Just pondering..... I have some JBL 2445 drivers,  big meaty 100w compression drivers.matched up to large flared horns.
 They certainly look high quality, heavy duty.. Are they rated as a good driver? I've only used them once so far(for a high powered heavy metal gig) and they seemed pretty good to me.
I've no previous experience with these drivers. Do my ears serve me well?
  Opinions?

Cheers
   Chris    
www.ctaudiovisual.co.uk
www.cornucopiafestival.co.uk
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2008 at 12:18am
These drivers are very good. Although they roll of towards the top end, this can usually be corrected by taking out the rise and falling reponse which is the main characteristic of this driver. In other words, if you flatten the response , they will sound great. They are very efficient.
noiseboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noiseboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2008 at 12:27am
I like this forum! people know thier stuff and helpful with it.

Cheers  Tony

ps
 let me know the total price post&packing etc  for the DE35's . I'm looking forward to fitting them in my system.
www.ctaudiovisual.co.uk
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2008 at 12:42am
If you want lots of 1-10kHz then they are the driver for the job.  Maybe not the most hi-fi but pretty good with some EQ.  If you're doing metal bands etc, one of those above a couple of 15" drivers will do very well.

The only downside is how damn heavy they are.  Separate boxes for mids and highs methinks!
noiseboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noiseboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2008 at 1:01am
To be honest when I'm doing Heavy Metal Bands I spend quite a lot of my time inside my total isolation headphones to protect my ears! I just keep popping out to check the mix.
 I reckon most of the Heavy Metal boys can't hear much above 10k anyway. After a few years of Metal thier hearing is shot to pieces! Especially the drummers!
www.ctaudiovisual.co.uk
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2008 at 9:27am
2445`s are rated at 120w from 800hz upwards,but as Chris says,use them from 1k up...i found they sound sweetest at 1.1kz crossover....what flares are you using them on?..could you post up a photo?
Be seeing you.
noiseboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noiseboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2008 at 7:16pm
OK bear with me, I'm new on the forum,might take me a day or two to sort out photos
www.ctaudiovisual.co.uk
CLsystems View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLsystems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2008 at 8:21pm
the ASS cabs in my avatar where loaded with 2445, they sure did throw well. and yes they sounded good. one mistake was selling them.
noiseboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noiseboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2008 at 11:58pm
Intresting stuff guys. My own thoughts too, were that they are not all that Hi Fi, therefore I haven't really tried using them for the more gentle lower output, intricate, acoustic, folk type music.
They certainly seemed to perform well at high levels on Heavy Metal and Rock Bands.
 I will try a bit of experimenting/fine tuning with EQ and crossover points though.

Cheers
www.ctaudiovisual.co.uk
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 10:43am
Umm..one very important point....its essential you have the genuine diaphramms fitted to get the best out of these,then they will sound ultra-hifi crossed around 1.1khz on the correct horn.....if they are fitted with the cheap copy diaphramms they sound dreadful.
Be seeing you.
noiseboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noiseboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 11:06am
Oh right that's a very useful tip, I have sort of made an assumption that the driver being to blooming big it wouldn't really have the agility to sound HiFi . It's nice to know these are a really decent piece of kit and I should definately spend a bit of time fine tuning,with a real possibility of much better results than I'd hoped for.
 I'll try and get some photos up of the horn flare, see what you think  of the design.
www.ctaudiovisual.co.uk
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 8:27pm
I think chris is refering to the horns in these:
hand made plywood flair with a JBL 2445j made by Trevor Missen before Dare was sold to Sammy De Havaland (sorry if I've spelt your name wrong Sammy)
the horns work really well but have to have the C.D. EQ

Edited by colint - 27 March 2011 at 6:23pm
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>