Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBL 2445

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fuzzylogic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 12:24am
Originally posted by colint colint wrote:

I think chris is refering to the horns in these:
hand made plywood flair with a JBL 2445j made by Trevor Missen before Dare was sold to Sammy De Havaland (sorry if I've spelt your name wrong Sammy)

the horns work really well but have to have the C.D. EQ

Hi Colin,I have a pair of these horns I think,they certainly look the same as whats under those Dare grills.
I bought six of them for my Dad,(couldn't resist as I got all six for £50!!) to use for his outdoor film shows, as the horns he had before were slightly overkill.(4' long ).
He was using all six Missen horns loaded with JBL 2446h drivers but we soon figured that was too much and now he uses three.I decided that as there were three spare, I'd nab a couple of the horns and use them for my soon to become audiophile style home system.
Can you tell us any more about the horns ?Mine look like there made from MDF but I could be wrong,Fuzzy.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 6:35pm

yes Trevor did make some in mdf and also some half and half (the tops were mdf and the sides ply) he also used a lot of dif.... drivers but mostly jbl or beyma, all the horns were hand made (something trevor was very proud of) using a small jig and a lot of resin W,

they were also used on a variety of cabs, the NX12 was the largest (2 x 12" +hf) the NX10 which was a 2 x 10" +hf  and a mobile system with 2 x 8" +hf, all used the same horn and only the NX12 was a full box (the rest were a cab with a bloody great horn on top)

all the systems came with a missen eq (a bit the bose unit) except most of them only crossed over between the mid/hi and bass & also did the eq for the horn
the system I sold Chris  consisted of
4 NX12 1200watt mid/hi's
4 TCB 1200watt tripple chambered bass cabs (but 2 got stolen)
2 x 1200watt quad chambered 2 x 18"
all JBL loaded
a total of 12k and it was very Hi-Fi but brutal when you wanted it to be
but to be truthfull I've not found a horn to match it yet for quality

Edited by colint - 13 February 2008 at 8:44pm
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
fuzzylogic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fuzzylogic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 9:55pm
Not JBL TCB's were they?we have a pair of those also.Maybe thats what I'll use on the bass end of my home system! .Ive yet to hear the TCB's work properly as when we first had them they were loaded with Eminence sigma pro's... sounded pants, took about three outings to pop one.They are now all correctly loaded with JBL 2240's.
The horns do sound sweet,very HiFi.The six I bought were flown in a nightclub around the dancefloor,in skeletal form.I had to make some crude boxes to protect them.Not one of my finer moments but it was done in a hurry!I'll dig the camera out and take some pics.

Edited by fuzzylogic - 13 February 2008 at 9:58pm
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 10:39pm
No not the JBL tcb's (totally dif cab) although in the right place the JBL's sound ok, the Dare/missen tcb's were a bit/lot bigger (as in the pic) and went really low (24hz) ok for short to medium use but not a stadium system at all, really designed for nightclub systems we did an install in a club in redhill and 2 tcb's & 4 NX10's (with a bit of infill) covered about 1000 people so they did work but with the 2 x 18's as well the effect is proper "in yer face" ( and chest, pants, , hair, etc)
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by fuzzylogic fuzzylogic wrote:

Not JBL TCB's were they?we have a pair of those also.Maybe thats what I'll use on the bass end of my home system! .Ive yet to hear the TCB's work properly as when we first had them they were loaded with Eminence sigma pro's... sounded pants, took about three outings to pop one.They are now all correctly loaded with JBL 2240's.
The horns do sound sweet,very HiFi.The six I bought were flown in a nightclub around the dancefloor,in skeletal form.I had to make some crude boxes to protect them.Not one of my finer moments but it was done in a hurry!I'll dig the camera out and take some pics.

They ain gonna work with eminance anything in them! change them for JBL's (2226h)
& say hello to the people next door!!!!

Butlins at Bognor has 4 off 2 x 18" JBL TCB's under the stage in the main room and the bass is frightning! the room is licenced for 1500 people!

Edited by colint - 13 February 2008 at 10:48pm
fuzzylogic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fuzzylogic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 11:10pm
The TCBs We have are 2x18,although I did buy a pair of the 2x15's as well, the old man uses one of the 2x15 tcb's in the local arts centre as there isnt much space.
The 18's are for sale,unfortunatly as they take up too much room.I would have them but i can't get them through my front door .I always thought that they were gonna do the the business, but I seemed to be a bit dissapointed every time I heard them.I suppose there were two good reasons for that,Bandpass+outside and Eminence.I since built four V18 loaded X1's (which do fit through my front door).They produce the scary bass I was hoping the JBL's would,and have always been smiling when using them...even outside.

Edited by fuzzylogic - 13 February 2008 at 11:13pm
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 11:37pm
The only thing I can say with the JBL's is you have to drive them hard! then you'll get the est from them but their still not going to chuck the sound to far, but it will be deep!
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2008 at 4:18pm
Here a picture of the horn, I knew I had it somewhere!

Edited by colint - 16 February 2008 at 4:24pm
noiseboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noiseboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2008 at 5:36pm
cheers Colin, thats probably a better photo than the one I was going to post, shows the horn out of the cab, I'll maybe put some measurements and dimensions up to give an Idea of size.
  A very nicely made piece of kit, infact all the Dare cabs Colin sold me, are really well put together with fantastic craftmanship.  I guess Trevor Missen to be a bit of perfectionist!
 So far the short throw of the cabs hasn't been a problem, as I'm mostly running indoors at a medium sized venue approx three hundred capacity. The  system performing well in conjunction with my existing rig and certainly no shortage of  bass!  bourne out by the blurring of the video image in time with the bass player or the kick drum!  Not sure how we get round that problem, perhaps have to turn it down a bit during filming!
www.ctaudiovisual.co.uk
www.cornucopiafestival.co.uk
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2008 at 9:30pm
I didn't have to many probs with video, this is short film of a band my brother promotes/manages (pArAdox) this was the day before you picked the system up! first time I had used the camera and didn't know up to that point it even did video the, system was soundcraft LX7 desk missen xover running on 1 x QSC plx3402 on bass & QSC plx1602 on mid/hi so the system wasn't even running to it full extent, bloody loud though even outdoors! the playgroung was about 200 yards long and the bass was unreal but the top did drop off a bit at 150 yards

Edited by colint - 02 December 2011 at 11:16pm
BASSHORSE View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BASSHORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2017 at 8:34pm
are the Link Dynamics CD1000 the same driver as the jbl 2445?..
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2017 at 10:31pm
No, it is not a good value, even though it is cheap.

The Link (and Image) Dynamics products originally tried to copy JBL and Altec products, got sued for patent infringement, and then changed the designs so much they became quite poor.
djk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>