Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage amp Specs.HH,Citronic,Peavey, etc.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2008 at 12:29am
So all you guys who have used & still use the old Citronic PPX amps, what you reckon on the new ones ? The Pro-3200's. Are they worth a try at around the £400 mark ? 

I know sometimes new stuff ain't always built like the old ones, & not only amps, but don't know what their rep is like.  

**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2008 at 12:59am
Unfortunatly citronic is no longer a company. its now a trading name.I've not had a look at any modern citronic amps but all thair stuff is now el cheapo chinese product so I seriously doubt thair up to much!
The old ppx however are excellent, I own 4 of them. As JBL man says they dont sell for much nowadays so you can pick up a good one for very reasonable money.
100% Earth Moving Bass
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2008 at 8:45am
My first PA amp was Vampower. They were were made by Geoff Johnson in Purley. They were also badged as 4 other amps at the time. It was 6 ch 100 watt valve amp. I later bought just the chassis and they became the first ASS amp.
Sound City amps were made around the back of my old factory in Southend. Maple Hire now occupy the building. Centre amps, DJ Electronics TK Electronics were also made in the town.
In Raleigh, just up the road from Southend was the company that made everyones boxes, except Carlsbro. These of course were mainly back line cabs. They were the first to make the Martin y bins which started life as the 2x15.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2008 at 11:05am
Tony---Do you remember the huge SNS backline that Slade had in the seventies--They were all 2x12 or 2x15 cabinets fitted with OEM Fane Crescendos---The cabinets were superbly built and had a honeycone sparkly gold speaker grille and also as far as I know were fitted with the very first corner mounted bar grab handles---The amps were console type with a flip up control panel and most of the controls were on faders---They did not keep the amps very long as they were a bit unreliable and they could not get the valve sound out of them as they used transistor output stages---It was a very impressive wall of sound in its day as no-one else had any of the gear and the cabinets fitted with crescendos used to take your head off---cheers--John.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2008 at 11:49am
Weren't Slade using the SNS amps when Dave Martin measured an SPL of IIRC 144db a few feet above the audiences heads at one of their concerts? I never used them personally, but as Robbo says, I heard that they could take your head (and ears) off.
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2008 at 2:30pm
Not sure on the Dave Martin thing but I do know that they always had a backline sound that could cause serious brain damage--even going back to the late sixties they were using Vox 4x12 cabinets that also contained a couple of Goodmans Midax horns all driven by Sound City 120 watt valve amps and then after the SNS backline it was all Hi-Watt stacks except for the bass rig---Jimmy Lea was using 2 Accoustic 1x18 bins loaded with Cerwin Vega drivers, 3x Martin Audio 1x15 bass horns and two Hi-Watt 4x12s and the whole lot was driven by two H+H S500D power amps so there was about 2kw of bass guitar on stage---needless to say that Charlie(Slades FOH engineer) did not have to put much bass guitar through the PA most nights--cheers--John.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2008 at 10:09pm
Robbo, Do you think we should push for a history section, there's a lot of random history floating around in our business, after all, you can't have a future unless there's a past.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2008 at 10:28pm
Definitely Tony--History or Reminiscence section for us old grey haired rockers on here over 50 years young---Another little gem from the past---First time I worked with UB40 with our touring rig and I was doing onstage monitor desk duty and about halfway through the soundcheck, I was overheard calling Ali Campbell a jumped up little sh-t by his brother and it did not go down very well at the time but I did get the feeling that everyone else on stage agreed with me but were frightened to say anything---about two weeks later and I was doing FOH at a major folk festival and Ali s dad Ian Campbell was the headlining act on the first day and I got a right ribbing from him---however in the backstage beer tent after the show he came up, shook my hand and said that he totally agreed with my graphic description of his son and I deserved a medal for doing on stage sound for such an aweful band(UB40 were only just breaking into mainstream at the time)--cheers--John. 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2008 at 9:43am
Good stuff mate. The new section is really needed to prevent the high jacking of threads like this one. I wouldn't feel so guilty about drifting off into dreamworld.
There is a lot of historical info that would interest the keen ones regarding gear. It's just a question of finding the right place to slot it in. Our friend Ian could add some good stuff, although age wise he wouldn't qualify.
minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2008 at 12:47pm
back on topic, any1 got the old spec sheets or interesting facts for an old cerwin vega A600 amp that we have sill going strong?
Subs + Barges = :)

www.metaacoustics.com

imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 12:39pm
I'm looking for more spec on the studiomaster mosfet 1000, the previously posted archive stuff describes it as 1000W, so that's presumably bridged at 8 ohm, therefore 500W at 4 ohm stereo and less at 8 ohm stereo, 425W?

I have bits and peices of schematics for these amps but no specifications

Also does anyone know why these are wired with pin 3 hot on the xlr input? from the schematic it looks like its switchable but if it is I haven't found it yet.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 9:03am
This was common practice with English built Studiomasters,pin 3 of the input xlr is signal,pin 1 is earth...but the output xlrs are wired normally,that is,pin 1 - pin 2+

Yes,the studiomaster 1000 mosfet was 2x500w at 4 ohms,and 2 x350w at 8Ohms.
Be seeing you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>