Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie Essential Reading

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HighGradeBlazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HighGradeBlazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2011 at 6:15pm
Very helpful...thanks :)
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2012 at 2:22pm
Thanks for the links, really facinating stuff, but I must say some of this seems quite advanced to call newbie essential reading. Ive been reading posts on SP for months as I am very interested in speaker design . I built a few speakers when I was a youth from the eminence book which was amazing good fun ( both cobbling them together and testing at partys  ). Now Im older and have been a carpenter for many years I have some skills, tools and funds to revive this hobby and make some tasty boxes, and I will be able to afford something better than the 400 watt peavey amp I had back then!

There are a few basic questions regarding horn type speakers for mid/top use which I would really appreciate any advice on.

My understanding is that the advantage of a horn style box is that they slightly amplify the sound from the speaker thus gaining a bit more volume than you would get from the same driver in a direct radiating box. Is this right? And how much extra volume do you gain, roughly percentage wise?

I imagine a horn style speaker has less dispersion than a  direct radiating box, and guess this is an advantage if you use multiple boxes side by side as it would reduce cross filtering between cabinets.  Have I got this right?

In a design like the MT102 / MT122 why couldn't the compression driver be mounted on the same baffle as the other drivers and use the same big horn mouth as them? I guess its because the CD needs the small end of the horn to be quite small thus meaning it needs to have its own horn?

Any replys / comments would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for a great website and resource

TimSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2012 at 8:57pm
ahh nice pic :D
Com4tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Com4tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2012 at 3:28pm
Guys, I would add the set of these four articles by founder of this forum. The Rog Mogale.
Very basic, very understandable, very important. Sometimes eye opening
mangoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mangoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2012 at 7:56am
very good post.
Priit Pavelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priit Pavelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2012 at 4:57pm
Very helpful...thanks :)
Maxxomatic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maxxomatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2012 at 8:56am
This really helped me out. Thanks!
Charlie_Albin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie_Albin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 12:06am
Great post, nice one!
Moorey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2012 at 6:42pm
Interesting read
TRE4U2NV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Com4tee Com4tee wrote:

Guys, I would add the set of these four articles by founder of this forum. The Rog Mogale.
Very basic, very understandable, very important. Sometimes eye opening

Edited by TRE4U2NV - 20 June 2012 at 2:37pm
IM SO SECRETIVE BUT I CANT TELL YOU WHY
dj elite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj elite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2012 at 3:55am
So much to read,So much to learn. Beginning to wonder if my once very good brain can soak up the info like a sponge or will it just leak out again. Damn it! its worth a try may have to read several times for it to go in. Think its an age thing lol
steviec_lj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steviec_lj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2012 at 10:03am
Makes for interesting reading.  Have a couple of cabinet building books on the shelf, but do intend to get some more when I find the better ones of the bunch.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>