Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Plan Requests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

any designs that use a 21'' and gets 145db?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dre collier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: any designs that use a 21'' and gets 145db?
    Posted: 20 February 2008 at 4:37am
Hey guys I'm new to the forum. But I know alot about speakers and how to use them and their correct form. well anyway I was wondering if anybody knew any designs on a subwoofer that reach an output of 145 peak, I heard of bassmaxx and others doing this. I been thinking of using a 21'' from 18sound or beyma. but don't wanna do front loaded or scoop or bandpass. Please help!!!!!!!
PRIMETIME
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 5:16am
you'd be looking at these type of dimensions I rekon

Dre collier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dre collier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 5:26am
I look at that before but don't know the horn design. would you know what it is?
PRIMETIME
H.. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 9:29am
Just call FK1 i'm sure their give out the design ....................................... NOT!
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 9:25pm
I guess the horn design on the f1 cabs hasn't really departed from the original Turbosound designs. There maybe cosmetic changes to the outside but in principal I would be surprised if they differed that much. Unless anyone knows anything different.
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 11:01pm
No.Compare the horn mouth area,with a 21" speaker,the speaker is far smaller.It cant move enough air.

working backwards
145dB at 1metre
145 - 30dB(~1kw) = 115dB sensitivity 1watt 1metre

Note the sensitivity of typical 18 and 21" speakers,they are near 99dB at 100hz.At 50hz,its usually lower.

Dre collier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dre collier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 12:01am

but here in the US we dont have PD. All I can use is Beyma and 18sound 21's. so I'm leaning towards a basic folded horn design wit a 21'' most likely 18sound. Anyone ever done a folded horn design wit a 21''?

PRIMETIME
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 7:30am
Originally posted by Dre collier Dre collier wrote:

but here in the US we dont have PD. All I can use is Beyma and 18sound 21's. so I'm leaning towards a basic folded horn design wit a 21'' most likely 18sound. Anyone ever done a folded horn design wit a 21''?

Well 18sound is just as good.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 12:09pm
There is often a huge price premium on 21" drivers over 18".  It can often work out better just to use two 18" rather than one 21".
jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 3:45pm
Or wouldn't 2x 15" give you about the same SD as 1 x 21"...?
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 4:09pm
tbh i dont see any point in 21s other than " mines bigger" but they must die easily???
cant imagine a 21" being very efficient at all???
2x15 would be more sensible,
145db is going to require a horn im sure, and a 21" loaded horn is just going to rip itself apart within 5 minute surely???
there are turbo 21" band pass horn plans about but i cant seem to see the point with them to be honest, a 21" wont have much kick and wont be as effective at going low as a similar priced stack of 18s....
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 4:12pm
Hi Dre, 21" woofers are rated from 800 watts to 1000 watts AES ( a good real world rating) ( the 18sound is rated at 1500 watts but if you read the fine print it is in the 750-800 AES range). This would allow up to aprox. 135 dB at full power at 1/m in a large folded horn bin. To get to 145 dB with one woofer would mean close to 4000 watts. Your woofer would have a short life. Four 21" in large horn bins in a stack could reach 145 dB. The way to reach extreme spl is with the use of a lot of bins.  Rog had posted photos of about 20 bins he used for a show about year ago. He stated he got strong response down to below 20Hz with super high output. This is the way to go.  VECTORDJ / VECTORSONICS   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>