Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rubic Horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2008 at 4:27pm
Mircea...seems it's only you and me thinking the same thing then..Wink
Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2008 at 4:55pm
I have a trained eye for that kind of thingsWink
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
TRE4U2NV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2008 at 8:34pm
Ive seen something similar mr dub [larry] and barrarcuda were working on a scoop extention idea about four years ago with channel one at an outdoor festival had some kind of problem with it never saw them again some of the dub ites on here might remember it it was at marsh lane festival 
IM SO SECRETIVE BUT I CANT TELL YOU WHY
Rog View Drop Down

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 1:05am
Yeah,

But I ain't larry or barrarcuda. A quick look at another of my websites should clear that up Trev.

I did cut myself out in photoshop, but put me back exactly where I was in the original pic. I did this as I took the photo under fluorescent lights and it put a green cast on everything. If I corrected the colours for the bass cabs then I would have turned out orange. So by having me and the cabs as seperate layers I can get the correct colour balance on everything. For those that want to know I always set the white balance to 5500K and then adjust either the RAW file during conversion or in photoshop.

Here is a crop of the original pic before any post processing.

Also worth noting in the pic of the horns positioned horizontally is that each cab measures 2.4 meters wide x 1.2 meters deep x 600 mm high. So 3 cabs would be 1.8 meters high and guess what, I'm 1.81 meters tall, so you're good Mircea, but not that good, ha ha.

The driver in each cab is a modded version of the V18-1200 and the horn length is 5 meters. You need all 4 cabs to make up a horn with a big enough mouth to be able to make use of the 5 meter horn length. You can use 2 cabs, but there is a drop off below 35Hz then. The throat of the Rubics design places even loading over the entire cone, so its not like a normal scoop with a throat at one end of the front chamber. The throat is placed centrally and in the middle of the rear of the driver in this design.

This is a prototype Mircea, so no handles, but I know where they would go.

Yes the catches are strong enough Mykey. Each one can pull down with a force of 600Kg. The whole system is very quick to put together. It takes less that 2 mins to attach 2 sections together. The seal is rebated into the end and is a neopreane rubber like used for diving suits and studio sound proofing. If it can last 20 years next to a divers tackle, its good enough for me. The catches sit beneath the external of each cab, so 2 cabs can touch each other when stacked. And no, there are no rattles between sections.

Each section is 1200 x 1200 x 600, so a little bigger than a normal scoop, but you can't really compare 4, 8 or even 16 scoops against the Rubic, as no matter how many normal scoops you have you will never start hitting to below 35Hz. It takes a really long horn with big enough mouth to hit 35hz and below, let alone 25Hz.

Edited by Rog Mogale - 26 February 2008 at 1:09am
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 1:21am
Rog.. I'm assuming this design is for pure sub - bass (i.e 80hz and down).. so in use you would need kicks and of course mid tops above.

How would you go about stacking that? it's bloody large init!!? (very tall)
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 1:24am
fair play rog, good to see something different, bit of a niche market, but thats a good thing.
its the only way to go if you have a "no compromise especialy size" attitude towards a particular design........ if your willing to spend the dosh on the right drivers + materials, and spend the time designing it properly, and are willing to accept that loud and low usualy means big cab, and you are designing a box for a large venue then this has to be the way forward? [discounting things like robbos ravehorn etc....]
nice looking boxes, how low do they drop???
nice!!!!!!!
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
Rog View Drop Down

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 1:25am
http://www.cracked.com/article_15822_5-douchebag-behaviors-explained-by-science.html

Nice to see some of you got the joke.

@wafflesomd,

f**k off you c**t.

Please note that all the people in the above link about douchbags look american. Now that is funny.
Dunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 1:31am
You've got to bring those to Notting Hill, people will wet themselves when they see how big they are!
Rog View Drop Down

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 1:35am
Adam,

I'm not finding the need to use kick bins with the Rubic. Of course it will never have the speed of a horn loaded 15" designed just for 80Hz +, but I'm so surpised at how quick it is. It was the first thing that grabbed me. Yes it plays low, to around 25Hz, but it was the speed and amount of kick that blew me away. I've tried mid tops with 12" horns crossing over at 130Hz and I don't feel there's anything missing.

It is big but that whole stack of 4 horns took less that 8 mins to put up. You lay down 2 sections on there backs and do up 4 of the catches, then tilt it forwards a bit and do up the final 2 catches at the rear. Then if you want to do them vertically just lift up one end and push it untill its upright. What you have to remember is that its not too heavy. The bottom section without driver is around 45Kgs, and the top section is only a bit more than a normal scoop.

adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 1:41am
another q : What made you choose a rear loaded horn rather than and enclosed / front loaded.. simply the best design for getting the depth of response? or wanting to keep the kick from the direct radiating prt (the old argument for scoop bins)??

Or was the goal the ultimate scoop bin.. as they do seam to be coming back into fashion now??

Just wondered.
jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 2:01am
adam..it's obvious..the only folks foolish enough to want boxes that size are the same kind of people that love big stacks of scoops....
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 2:03am
i wouldnt say foolish, id like some boxes that sort of size if i had transport etc, the efficiency would be amazing compared to any other design capable of playing that frequency range.....
imagine doing something like that [maybey less tall and more wide to allow kicks and mid his] but with a front loaded horn, 25hz<80hz watt for watt it must be untouchable ???
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>