Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rubic Horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 17>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 11:45am
And I better get off this infernal machine and do some work before darkness descends.
Rog View Drop Down

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 11:59am

Ha ha,

You might laugh but he has. Get him to post up some pics of some of his stuff, its radical.

Yes Adam, a wall like a floor will reinforce the output as you now have the speaker and another virtual speaker or mirror of the speakers output adding to it. This is providing the speaker is close enough to couple in wavelength terms to the adjacent floor or wall. So a horn that requires a mouth of 5000 sq cm to have a certain low cutoff can have this figure halved if its in contact with the floor or quatered if its on the floor and against one wall. Hence half space, quater space and so on. So at what point does a stack of speakers all combining in phase change from one operating condidtion to another. Well, if the stack is on the floor then its in half space, but I'm not convinced the more cabs you add the more it operates like it was in quater space. It will happen to a certain extent but I think you still have a new larger speaker with a longer horn in half space. I never automatically change from half space to quater space or eighth space if I model moe than one speaker. For me its just a larger speaker with a longer horn and bigger mough if its a horn. Its still in half space. Likewise I alwyas model mid tops in free space even if there are 8 of them. Its still a speaker, all be it a large one thats in free space. Its a difficult question to answer and I have a couple of times on here before, but a stack of speakers operating condidtions don't change as much as you think unless you go very big. The bigger the speaker and the larger its radiating surface is the less it starts to obey the inverse square law. Why, well you are more likely to be in the near field of a sound source if it is marginally larger than you are. Its like you are physically nearer and will also visually look like this as the stack grows.

Its a dabte that still continues. I think you still have a larger speaker with increased coupling to the floor, a longer horn path and bigger mouth if using horns and the increase in efficiency that brings, but still working in the same space. You can also add any effects brought about via any decrease on the inverse square law if the stack is large enough. But one thing thats doesn't happen is that you automatically add 6dB everytime you double the amount of speakers. You will get 3dB from double the amp power as a result of the lower impeadance and only if the amp delivers twice the output into the new lower load, but you can never get 3dB from a doubling of sensitivity. So be careful when knowing the output of one cab and then addding 6dB everytime you double the amout to work out the new combined output. It will never be as much as you expect due to cabinet losses which destructively combine to reduce the sensitivity and the fact that most amps don't double there output into half the impedance.

J Nine Bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Nine Bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 12:04pm

Rog, seriously mental bass stack, love it.

levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Rog Mogale Rog Mogale wrote:

but you can't really compare 4, 8 or even 16 scoops against the Rubic, as no matter how many normal scoops you have you will never start hitting to below 35Hz. It takes a really long horn with big enough mouth to hit 35hz and below, let alone 25Hz.

Still think I would prefer 8x V1200/Turbomax loaded scoops, driven with 8k though Rog.

Each stack of 4x would definetly give the illusion of hitting 35hz, if crossed into kick bins right.Wink

Edited by levyte357 - 26 February 2008 at 12:24pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
xlogic View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlogic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Rog Mogale Rog Mogale wrote:

The Infinite 10's do 5000 watts per side into 4 ohms, 

Did someone mention infinite 10Shocked
xlogic View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlogic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 12:47pm
btw Rog you look a bit like Tim Westwood in that pic YEAH BABY!
Rog View Drop Down

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by J Nine Bar J Nine Bar wrote:

Rog, seriously mental bass stack, love it.

Thanks Jeff,

It means a lot coming from someone with a seriously mental bass stack, ha ha.

I know what you mean Lev, 8 normal scoops pushed hard might have it above 40Hz, but if that 25Hz to 35Hz range is ya thing then normal scoops don't cut it. Its also really refreshing listening to 35Hz from a stack that can do 25Hz. Its fun to do 100 mph in a mini that is only surpposed tp do 90 mpm, in fact some would clam that its the only way to do 100 mph. But you don't know what you're missing when you do a 100 mph in a car like a Lamborghini that can do 200 mph. The thought of going any speed you want at any place is very addictive, its why I have a 180 BHP bike and weigh less than 55Kg. Nothing is ever going to touch me and it means I can relax and take time out from the game to see whats really happeing in the world.

Rog View Drop Down

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by xlogic xlogic wrote:

btw Rog you look a bit like Tim Westwood in that pic YEAH BABY!

Yeah,

I thought more like a douche bagged version of Ali G........
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 1:34pm
You should talk to your PR department. Although I guess that will be a conversation with yourself. Any way enough of that. Are you going to produce a section to go above. an appropriate one that is. Reason for asking is that under my new structure. I am an equipment specifier. So starting to take notice of other stuff for installs that I'm doing.
djstefanos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djstefanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 1:44pm
Do you use your void cnc machines to build them?
Jochen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jochen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 2:18pm
very impressive, i definitely would like to hear that stack in action.
For mid-top a sh*t load of stasys 3 mkII i suppose?
I like my sugar with coffee and cream
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 2:36pm
This Rubic design is an impressive horn!

A few years ago we designed a similar concept (M-horn, see www.speakerstore.nl) but this was a folded frontloaded horn instead of rearloaded. For people who have little money but enough time this is an excellent solution to get much bass for little money. We also chose to cut the 18" horn in two modules for easy of transportation.

As far as I know only two people did build our M-horn (they were impressed with the loud deep bass) the main problem is no one was able to find the perfect solution on how to couple both parts of the horn. And how to prevent air leaks and rattles when the modules are on top of each other.

Best regards,

Walt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 17>