Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SMT 212 Build Pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Static Age Static Age wrote:

Cheers Tweeter Box. I'm surprised you never noticed them before, this thread dates back to February 2008.

yeah same here, these are just what i was lookin for now that Myk has refused to send me some moulded horns Big smile

what frequencies u playin just the 12"s??
did u use 112w or 112n ?

Edited by tweeter box - 30 September 2009 at 12:33pm
Static Age View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 1:49pm

The 12"s play well from 130hz to 1khz, I will have to have a play to see exactly how low they can get.

I think i used the 112W. Though if i were to do this project again from scratch I would definateley use neo drivers.

Mine being four drivers per cab are just so heavy to stack, thanks to the EVDH1 they are so top heavy that if you want them up high it takes a 3 man lift to do it safely.

Like I said earlier I'll get some pics up asap of the additional work I have performed on the cabs since I first built them.

Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by tweeter box tweeter box wrote:

did u use 112w or 112n ?  

When did the Beyma SM112/W come about then ?

I think i used the 112W. Though if i were to do this project again from scratch I would definateley use neo drivers.  

Static, I think you actually used the Beyma SM112/N, I remember looking at them too when I heard the price was 66 quid, but have since gone up more than 20 quid now! 

Remember this...

the only time i would consider anything from the Eminence Beta range would be if my hands were completely tied over the budget. i would much prefer used drivers than Beta's.

depending on high you need to get the Beyma SM112N sounds great on mid, will take alot of power too. £66 each.

The W-Series seem to be up their with the higher spec drivers @ over 110 quid but I can't work out the main difference. Anyony ?

Btw, looks like the 'N' does not stand for Neo in this case!

Edited by Tekasis - 30 September 2009 at 2:46pm
**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 2:51pm

my SMT212's have changed a bit since I made this thread.

I'm now using the BMS driver on a smaller 60x40 horn & a EVDH1 2" driver on a large JBL horn.

Like I said earlier I'll get some pics up asap of the additional work I have performed on the cabs since I first built them.  

Clap Thumbs Up

**Heavy Weight-Line**
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 2:57pm
wow 10/10 for memory Tekasis Thumbs Up

When i got the beymas they were not in the original boxes & I havent seen the back of the drivers since I fitted them in the cabs.

Indeed the N in the Beyma model number does not signify neo. But I stand by what I said, anyone thinking of stacking the SMT212 over head height should seriously consider neo drivers.

Lucky for me I have plenty of people on hand to help with stacking.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 8:48pm
As promised here are some pics of how the cabs developed.

I had to do a proper job of fitting the large JBL horn & EVDH1, this meant putting in support for the EVDH1 as it weighs 10kg. To do this properley I had to build access panels in the tops of the SMT's. The cross over between the EVDH1 & BMS is a link dynamics unit, cross over point is 5khz.

Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 10:08pm
Clap That looks fantastic Static! Clap

What's the difference in sound compared to what it used to be ?

Is the EVDH1 a 2'' comp ?

Have you tried listening to the cab without the BMS connected ? & with it connected can you really hear more sparkle ?

**Heavy Weight-Line**
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 10:48pm
Thanks. The main difference is the SPL in the upper midrange 900hz+. The original SMT's were fine when used above 4 bass cabss but the upper mid sounded a bit flat when used above 8 bass cabs. the four 12" really make a noise when driven hard by the pulse 2x1100 but at these levels I started to here a gap between them & the 1" BMS. Dont get me wrong the BMS is probably one of the best 1" comp drivers I have ever heard but I was concerned that driving it hard down at 1.2khz that I would blow it.

The DH1 is a monster of a 2" comp &  it can get as low as 500hz on a big enough horn.
the BMS gets upto 20khz so I'm sure without it I would notice. Though hopefully this weekend I'll get time to do some testing with the cabs. I'll run them with & without the BMS & I plan to see exactly how low the 12" will go.

Here's a copule of pics of the EVDH1 so that you can appreciate the size.  Down side now is the weight of the SMT's, I'll see if i can weigh them to see exactly how heavy they are.

I have the EV Spec sheet for the DH1, I'll link it up tomorrow.

Edited by Static Age - 01 October 2009 at 10:51pm
Sequence Empire:::.. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sequence Empire:::.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 12:25am
Awesome development there Static!

Anyone tried the Eighteensound XT1464 elliptical HF horns?
I'm keen to match 12ND710 in the 12's with this horn & a Beyma CP755Nd on my SMT212's

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 11:59am
Link to the EV-DH1 specs: I did want to add this to my post above but since the editing posts option has been disabled I'll post it here

Edited by Static Age - 05 October 2009 at 6:29pm
djshaney View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djshaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2010 at 3:33pm
sorry to re-bump an oldish thread but... im thinking of building a pair of these, just how low do/did the 12's go?
thanks
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2010 at 5:18pm
Its probably driver dependant but I could get mine to sound ok down to 100hz, probably helps alot that the 12" are in a ported reflex chamber rather than sealed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>